Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
On the way to 200k

Just went over 100k. I've had the car since new and I still love it. I've had all the normal stuff. The HPFP and injectors replaced under recall but I didn't have any symptoms. I was one of the first people with carbon buildup symptoms. The dealer couldn't figure it out and BMW didn't have a TIS or tools for cleaning out yet. They replaced the in tank fuel pump even though nothing was wrong with it. No change at all to the symptoms. In a fairly tense negotiation with the dealer they credited me with the labor for the LPFP and i used it for a new battery at the 6 year mark. Based on posts here I pulled my intake and cleaned out carbon with solvent and little brushes to fix the hesitation. It worked

On my second set of tires. Replaced brakes once. Second set of spark plugs, tension struts and proper walnut blast (DIY) at 90k miles. New serpentine belt with tensioner and new alternator pulley at the 5 year mark. Oil Filter Housing Gasket at 90k (DIY). Sway bar bushings last weekend and FSDs this weekend.

I replaced the water pump and thermostat at 100k (DIY with coolant flush) even though they were still working but I was losing sleep over possibly getting stranded,

Last week I replaced the LCD screen on my BMW professional radio with a DIY. Total cost, $88 for parts and 45 minutes on my workbench. The screen was unreadable above 70 degrees.

I thoroughly enjoy maintaining my cars and the BMW is not much harder than any modern car. Support from the Forum DIY makes it very affordable.

The car runs great and I am looking forward to at least another 100k miles

Last edited by jburke4689; 03-06-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2014, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
Just went over 100k. I've had the car since new and I still love it. I've had all the normal stuff. The HPFP and injectors replaced under recall but I didn't have any symptoms. I was one of the first people with carbon buildup symptoms. The dealer couldn't figure it out and BMW didn't have a TIS or tools for cleaning out yet. They replaced the in tank fuel pump even though nothing was wrong with it. No change at all to the symptoms. In a fairly tense negotiation with the dealer they credited me with the labor for the LPFP and i used it for a new battery at the 6 year mark. Based on posts here I pulled my intake and cleaned out carbon with solvent and little brushes to fix the hesitation. It worked

On my second set of tires. Replaced brakes once. Second set of spark plugs and proper walnut blast (DIY) at 90k miles. New serpentine belt with tensioner and new alternator pulley at the 5 year mark. Sway bar bushings last weekend and FSDs this weekend.

I replaced the water pump and thermostat at 100k (DIY with coolant flush) even though they were still working but I was losing sleep over possibly getting stranded,

Last week I replaced the LCD screen on my BMW professional radio with a DIY. Total cost, $88 for parts and 45 minutes on my workbench. The screen was unreadable above 70 degrees.

I thoroughly enjoy maintaining my cars and the BMW is not much harder than any modern car. Support from the Forum DIY makes it very affordable.

Solvent worked? Not challenging you; I just thought that the deposits were well-caked on, which required the blasting treatment. Based on your experience, I am thinking that a way to address the carbon build-up issue with diesels is to use a solvent (biodiesel is an incredible solvent) to clean the deposits in the intake manifold.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 PM

I would consider it an 80% solution. All the clumping you see in the pictures is soft, not hard. It scrapes off with picks and brushes quite easily even without solvent. After removing as much as possible that way, brush some more with solvent soaked gun cleaning brushes. Then strips cloth pushed in and around the valve stems to remove more Enough is removed to make the symptoms disappear but enough remains that it builds up again quickly. In my case about 30k miles. Now I have the proper tools and I do it with each spark plug change.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
I would consider it an 80% solution. All the clumping you see in the pictures is soft, not hard. It scrapes off with picks and brushes quite easily even without solvent. After removing as much as possible that way, brush some more with solvent soaked gun cleaning brushes. Then strips cloth pushed in and around the valve stems to remove more Enough is removed to make the symptoms disappear but enough remains that it builds up again quickly. In my case about 30k miles. Now I have the proper tools and I do it with each spark plug change.
So you must have the manifold removal down to a fairly quick science? How long to do if so?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
How many of these have been done in addition to what you listed (although not normally covered under factory-covered maintenance, these are all recommended)

Belts replaced
Fuel filter
Radiator hoses replaced
Transmission fluid replaced
Control arm bushings
Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Congrats on passing 100K with no major issues. My 08 335i has 160K and still going strong. Bought it with 139K, BMW's log says it had been through 6 HPFP LOL...I guess they finally put one in there that was good. Thanks original owner!

Just got rid of bank 1 and 2 too lean codes(P0171 and P0174 I think). The fix was filling up at the one gas station in town that sells non ethanol gas and a bottle of gumout fuel system treatment. Car runs great now and no SES light! woohoo

Last edited by buzz1560; 03-06-2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-sport
Great stories guys. Say no to naysayers.
On my way to 200K as well. Just ran by 8,000...and I still love this car.
'86 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 180k
'00 Lincoln LS
'00 328i 120k, Superstorm Sandied
'08 535xi
'13 335xi M-sport, 6 MT

Last edited by joechristmas; 03-06-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Fest Wrks

Mein Auto: 07 335i coupe
101 and strong! My big to do this coming spring is diff fluid and coolant! I know.. I know.. the diffs should have been done 20K ago but I wasn't aware at the time.. At 100K Im just starting to really mod the car, more boost, new charge pipe, brace, DCI, hopefully a BOV.. the car seems to coop with it well even at midlife *finger crossed*
Black Sapphire 6MT
BMS JB+ & DCI
Turbosmart BOV
Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
So you must have the manifold removal down to a fairly quick science? How long to do if so?
20-25 minutes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilt View Post
How many of these have been done in addition to what you listed (although not normally covered under factory-covered maintenance, these are all recommended)

Belts replaced
Fuel filter
Radiator hoses replaced
Transmission fluid replaced
Control arm bushings
The Belt was listed. Recommended interval is 4 years. I did mine at 5 and it looked fine.

There is no replaceable fuel filter in the N54 E90. Only the one in the fuel tank fuel pump module.

I haven't done radiator hoses. The show no signs that they are failing and they are expensive.

I have a 6MT with lifetime fluid. I haven't changed it and I admit I am struggling with that choice but there are many posts from people that have changed the fluid and problems started there.

I did the control arm bushings (front) with the tension struts. I inspected all of my other bushings (about 35 of them) last week and there is no sign of failure or wear.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Fest Wrks

Mein Auto: 07 335i coupe
Quote:
The Belt was listed. Recommended interval is 4 years. I did mine at 5 and it looked fine.

There is no replaceable fuel filter in the N54 E90. Only the one in the fuel tank fuel pump module.

I haven't done radiator hoses. The show no signs that they are failing and they are expensive.

I have a 6MT with lifetime fluid. I haven't changed it and I admit I am struggling with that choice but there are many posts from people that have changed the fluid and problems started there.

I did the control arm bushings (front) with the tension struts. I inspected all of my other bushings (about 35 of them) last week and there is no sign of failure or wear.
I have made the decision to change the fluid on my transmission.. mostly to cry at all the flickering metal pieces ill find in the fluid . I just purchased the fluid, but again I'm waiting for spring.
Black Sapphire 6MT
BMS JB+ & DCI
Turbosmart BOV
Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:

On my second set of tires. Replaced brakes once. Second set of spark plugs, tension struts and proper walnut blast (DIY) at 90k miles. New serpentine belt with tensioner and new alternator pulley at the 5 year mark. Oil Filter Housing Gasket at 90k (DIY). Sway bar bushings last weekend and FSDs this weekend.

Could you share that LCD DIY link please? Mine is killing me! And fwiiw, I have 134k on the clock on my way to 200+k myself!

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
Could you share that LCD DIY link please? Mine is killing me! And fwiiw, I have 134k on the clock on my way to 200+k myself!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635672