Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-09-2014, 01:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
Irregular electronic sounds being heard - 550

The other day I noticed a couple of irregular sounds being heard within the cabin when driving which I don't believe I've heard before.

Maybe it's been there the whole time (< 12mo.) and just didn't realize it but I don't think so given my OCD on things like this.

Case (1)
7 out of 10 times this happens when coming to a complete stop as if at a red light. The moment the car settles, there is a faint but noticeable 'knock' anywhere from 4 to 8 times. You can almost just feel it through the steering wheel and it sounds like an electric motor trying to recalibrate.

It's happened once as soon as I started the engine and the other times while stopped at a light.

Case (2)
You know the little fuel economy gauge at the bottom (0 --> Efficient Dynamics blue battery light)
With the cabin free of noise - windows up, sunroof closed, in normal driving, while depressing the accelerator, I hear what sounds like an electric motor running - maybe more like buzzing - and when you let off the accelerator, it immediatly goes away and the car is quiet. Similarly when coasting and the blue ED light comes on, the sound is gone. Soon as I hit the accelerator the 'motor' whirrs.

Now, this may have been like this from new and I do play my music loud in the car.

Other than these sounds, car runs great.

At any rate, took it to the dealer this afternoon. Case 1 and 2 were reproduced on the test drive but they need to keep it longer for a full check. No errors from the computer. Will update on results.

While they have my car, have asked them to repair a small nick I found on one of my front wheels. It's about a 1/2in. nick but it drives me crazy.

Sat in the new M235 while I was waiting - pretty nice I have to say - too bad the stock 18" rims are a horrible design.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:25 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I think I've heard your case #1 in my '11 535i, only on a few occasions. It's like a series of knocks, maybe 1/2 to 1 second apart. Maybe related to climate control, not sure. Someone may have posted about this some time ago.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
I think I heard case 1 before. Strange because i just noticed it the other night in my 550 but it was during a odd situation in my case. I was driving around and decided to try to record a sound clip of my new exhaust so I had my car parked and revving the engine a bit trying to capture the sound. After a few minutes of revving i noticed with the radio off i heard some clicking sounds coming from the center dash area that i've never heard before. It would cycle on and off non stop a few seconds apart. Sounds like it was coming from behind the dash in the ventilation system. Turning the air off completely would eliminate the sound but once i turned it back on the sound came back. Its faint and you could only hear it if radio was off. Turning the car on and off didn't help either but once i started driving it the sound went away and hasn't come back yet. Another strange sound i've noticed is during freezing temps I hear some sorta pump sound from the front of the car until it is fully warmed up. Sound only comes on when the car is in motion and not warmed up. If i am idling theres no sound but the instant the car moves you hear it cycle on and off. Engine speed has no impact on the sound.

My 2013 535 had a weird very very faint electronic hum or beeping sound that you could hear only idling with the radio off. cycles on and off non stop and its barely audible but I am one of those that could hear everything in my cars.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
I had the same problem as described in case 1. You could move the steering wheel VERY slightly/lightly and reproduce the noise (or get it to stop all together by moving the wheel an inch or so in either direction). It's the steering box (32-10-6-865-439 W-628). One of the BMW technicians took a ride with me (so I could duplicate the sound) and knew what it was right away. It was replaced under warranty and no problems or noises since.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Drink More Wine!

Mein Auto: 2011 550iX M Sport
I have something very similar to Case 2 and had the shop foreman in for a ride with me who heard it as well. The car is scheduled for service next month so I'm interested in hearing what you come up with!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 AM

ok, interesting to hear all this from everyone. I should find out more from the dealer in the next several days.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:07 AM

got a call from the dealer this afternoon.

case (1) - the steering box needs to be replaced - being ordered from the mother land.

case (2) - difficult to reproduce again, still unsure.

will hear more tomorow when I visit them.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550newbie View Post
I had the same problem as described in case 1. You could move the steering wheel VERY slightly/lightly and reproduce the noise (or get it to stop all together by moving the wheel an inch or so in either direction). It's the steering box (32-10-6-865-439 W-628). One of the BMW technicians took a ride with me (so I could duplicate the sound) and knew what it was right away. It was replaced under warranty and no problems or noises since.
is yours an LCI?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
LOL, I don't know! I know LCI means lifecycle improvements, but how do I know if my car has them? Mine is a 2011 550i.