Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-10-2014, 04:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
First impressions of my 528

Picked it up in Munich on Saturday and love it way more than I thought I would. Not sure what bmw did, but the engine is an absolute peach. Even sounds great when revved. Plenty of power and a super smooth. quiet idle. Ahmadd would approve.My e92 was always a bit rough but it fit with the sportier character of that car. Was easy to merge to autobahn speeds and pass "slow" cars at 90 mph. Averaged 26 mpg despite alternating between 100mph and stop/go traffic. Pleasantly surprised. Unless they reduce the price gap, ill be hard pressed to pick the inline 6 next time. But we'll see as time goes on.

Also love the color combo : dark graphite/mocha/aluminum hex. I think I sat in the car for about 10 minutes after parking it tonight just admiring it. The multicontour seats are my favorite feature though. I don't think I've ever sat in a more comfortable seat. On the way back to the hotel tonight my wife passed out within minutes.

I'm also quite happy with the steering and suspension. Had the opportunity to take it on some twisty alpine roads and it was surprisingly fun to drive. The sport suspension, lighter engine and heavier steering all help i think. Also love how smooth it feels compared to my e92. You feel like you're in a hovercraft skimming over the road.

And while I only have the base instrument cluster, I like having the additional information over what my e92 had- especially nav directions.

Was also happy to discover that the trunk opens fully with 2 clicks of the trunk button on the key. All of the cars on dealer lots has the power trunk so I never knew how the regular trunk operated. No regrets over skipping the "premium" package.

My complaints so far are:
-the steering feels slightly loose on center so I feel like I have to correct it more than my e92. May be something that I adjust to over time and its pretty subtle.
-haven't made peace with the shifter yet. Sometimes I forget to shift it back from sport and it won't go into reverse. Sometimes I accidentally hit park when shifting from reverse to drive.
-cant figure out why the parking brake sometimes disengages automatically and sometimes not
-while I love the auto hold feature in traffic sometimes I forget to turn it off and it gets in the way when parking.
-the width of the car makes it unwieldy when negotiating tight spaces. Really wish I'd sprung for the top view camera. I end up backing into every space so I can use the rear cam (an absolute must have option)
-the Bluetooth audio cut out today for no reason and I had to re-pair the phone to fix it. Never had that happen in my e92. Couldn't use the USB connection because the euro maps were plugged in (they no longer load them on the hard drive).
-wish the +/- buttons on the wheel controller the tracks and the thumb wheel controlled the volume.
-atleast with bt audio, the track list in the instrument cluster has no relationship to the current song list
-depending on the music, the base stereo ranges from tolerable to annoying. Wish I'd gotten the HK. Actually tried to add it to my order but the car had already started production. Might try buying the upgraded center speaker from bavsound cause I have a feeling that's what I'm hearing the most.
-miss the "stalk" cruise control on the e92. Silly that you have to turn the f10's on first rather than just setting the speed.
-the doors make a nice satisfying thunk when closed...except if the windows are open. In which case the windows rattle around in the door. Not cool. None of my previous bmws have done this. This is my biggest pet peeve so far.
-still prefer the look of the base front bumper and headlights over any of the LCI front ends including my msport. There was something very elegant and understated about the old design. If it wasn't a lease I'd consider swapping with someone.

Overall, I like the car more than I thought I would. Given that, I may have paid an extra 50-60/month or so to add:
-HK, full cameras, HUD, rear steering, comfort access, active cruise to make it "perfect".
When I ordered, I was ambivalent about getting such a big car and was also ambivalent about the engine. Knowing what I know now I'd be comfortable spending the extra 50 on options vs the n55 upgrade.

Really throws a wrench in my plans to get an m235i as my next car! Overall if I could shrink it down to f30 size it would be perfect.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by bmw325; 03-10-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-10-2014, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
Really nice mini-review. Good luck with your new car!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Nice write up BMW325, and good luck with the new 5er. The 5 series is usually smoother than the 3 series by design, love the bit about Ahmadd I do agree the N25 is a nice engine, but the peach is the N55 Once you consider the additional standard options you get in the 535i, the price gap is much smaller. I agree about the multicontour seats, they are pretty much a must have when buying a F10. You can use the sport mode button instead of the shifter DS mode, that way, you can still shift to reverse. If you had a 535i, you would not need to be in sport mode all the time Everytime you use the auto hold, the parking brake will set the next time you start up the car, a poor design in my opinion. I have the top view camera and I hardly use it, the rear view casmera and the sensors are more than enough, keep in mind I grown up in the city and had to parallel park everyday. The LCI LED looks very nice from the front, but BMW kind of went cheap with the base HID setup. I have the HK and it is my second favorite option after the multi-contour seats. Good luck with the car once again.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Nice write up BMW325, and good luck with the new 5er. The 5 series is usually smoother than the 3 series by design, love the bit about Ahmadd I do agree the N25 is a nice engine, but the peach is the N55 Once you consider the additional standard options you get in the 535i, the price gap is much smaller. I agree about the multicontour seats, they are pretty much a must have when buying a F10. You can use the sport mode button instead of the shifter DS mode, that way, you can still shift to reverse. If you had a 535i, you would not need to be in sport mode all the time Everytime you use the auto hold, the parking brake will set the next time you start up the car, a poor design in my opinion. I have the top view camera and I hardly use it, the rear view casmera and the sensors are more than enough, keep in mind I grown up in the city and had to parallel park everyday. The LCI LED looks very nice from the front, but BMW kind of went cheap with the base HID setup. I have the HK and it is my second favorite option after the multi-contour seats. Good luck with the car once again.
I'm curious and never could actually find an answer here or on BMW website as to what standard features '14 535 has over '14 528. The only one I'd noticed (besides the obvious engine) was leather which doesn't even matter if you get M-Sport because you get the free Nappa and never even have to pay for base leather. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I'm curious and never could actually find an answer here or on BMW website as to what standard features '14 535 has over '14 528. The only one I'd noticed (besides the obvious engine) was leather which doesn't even matter if you get M-Sport because you get the free Nappa and never even have to pay for base leather. Thanks!
I stand corrected about the standard options, I guess BMW really change up the options in the 2014 528i to get them to move off the lot. The only difference from I can see between the two is the bigger rims, leather seats and wood trim, maybe others can add to the list. The Msport package would include all those options anyways. One would think since the 535i already have all those options standard, the MSport would be cheaper on the 535i, but it is not, its the same price $3150. The 535i MSport does have the 19" rims, but personally, I would rather have the 18" rims which are better suited on city streets. The 535i also have the option for Merino leather with MSport, but thats not standard, one need to add another $2500.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I stand corrected about the standard options, I guess BMW really change up the options in the 2014 528i to get them to move off the lot. The only difference from I can see between the two is the bigger rims, leather seats and wood trim, maybe others can add to the list. The Msport package would include all those options anyways. One would think since the 535i already have all those options standard, the MSport would be cheaper on the 535i, but it is not, its the same price $3150. The 535i MSport does have the 19" rims, but personally, I would rather have the 18" rims which are better suited on city streets. The 535i also have the option for Merino leather with MSport, but thats not standard, one need to add another $2500.
Thank you for not making me feel like a moron because I have searched and searched and searched couldn't find anything definitive. You do get a choice of wood on a 528, and premium pkg is less expensive for 535, because they make you pay for leather that you end up with for free anyway with M-sport, but that's about all I could find.

Like you pointed out, I am conditioned to bracing myself over potholes and am pleasantly surprised when I float over them instead of jarring my jaw with the 18" rims.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:38 AM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Nice write-up, bmw325. I am glad you liked your car and having fun in Germany.

When I test drove 528i and 535i back to back, I did not find the N20 engine to be particularly smooth - specially during idling and ASS. I think BMW added some much needed refinement post-LCI.

I concur about your opinion on the cameras, HK premium sound, and MC seats: they are must-have options in a F10 imo. HUD is very futuristic and Adaptive Cruise is nice to have if you drive regularly in stop-and-go traffic. Once you get used to comfort access you'd (begrudgingly) add premium package every time you configure a BMW (can't believe that Germans still up-charge for something that have become a no-cost option in Nissan Altima for a while).

18" wheels are a godsend in the pot-holed road of Bay Area. I wouldn't get a F10 here without them.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
It seems like the only people who have anything bad to say about the N20 engine are the people who have never driven an N20 car.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive
Congratulations bmw325 on your new F10, nice write up and I really like your choice of color combinations! The ED really has my interest and sounds like a great experience. I may have to consider this option in two years when my lease will be up! I also regret not getting the HK Premium Audio and Multi Contour Seats. But, luckily for you, you did get the Multi Contour Seats, I should have known!!

Enjoy your new car!
2013 535i xDrive Dark Graphite Metallic ll, Cinnamon Brown w/Dark Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg. (Ordered 01/18/2013, Build Date, 02/07/2013, Delivery, 03/07/2013)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you for not making me feel like a moron because I have searched and searched and searched couldn't find anything definitive. You do get a choice of wood on a 528, and premium pkg is less expensive for 535, because they make you pay for leather that you end up with for free anyway with M-sport, but that's about all I could find.

Like you pointed out, I am conditioned to bracing myself over potholes and am pleasantly surprised when I float over them instead of jarring my jaw with the 18" rims.
Now I feel like a Moron
Seems to me that either the MSport package on the 528i is the bargain of the century or BMW is trying to pull a fast one with the MSport option on the 535i. If we break down the 535i's MSport package one by one, the MC seats are worth about $1300, LED fog lights I am gussing $400, 19" rims $400 and M steering wheel $400. That adds up to $2500, not $3150. The MSport package on the 528i adds leather which I am guessing should cost about a $1000 which brings the price of the MSport package more in line with the equipments it comes with. Even if one just get the MC seats option, the 528i represents a better buy because for the $1300, one would get the upgrade MC seats and the leather.

Last edited by The X Men; 03-10-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Now I feel like a Moron
Seems to me that either the MSport package on the 528i is the bargain of the century or BMW is trying to pull a fast one with the MSport option on the 535i. If we break down the 535i's MSport package one by one, the MC seats are worth about $1300, LED fog lights I am gussing $400, 19" rims $400 and M steering wheel $400. That adds up to $2500, not $3150. The MSport package on the 528i adds leather which I am guessing should cost about a $1000 which brings the price of the MSport package more in line with the equipments it comes with. Even if one just get the MC seats option, the 528i represents a better buy because for the $1300, one would get the upgrade MC seats and the leather.
Except MC seats are not included in '14 M-sport for either 528 or 535. Don't forget the rest of the body kit though, the bumpers and side skirts aren't cheap. And also all of those lil "M's" don't grow on trees

Either way, I think either car is a good package, you just have to pick the one which is right for you. I just always wonder if am missing out on anything else besides the engine when I got away from my N55 for this car.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Except MC seats are not included in '14 M-sport for either 528 or 535. Don't forget the rest of the body kit though, the bumpers and side skirts aren't cheap. And also all of those lil "M's" don't grow on trees

Either way, I think either car is a good package, you just have to pick the one which is right for you. I just always wonder if am missing out on anything else besides the engine when I got away from my N55 for this car.
Without the MC seats, its even harder to justify the cost of the MSport package. The MSport package does have different bumper, air damps and side skirts, but its just different, not necessary more expensive. I do agree on all those MSport badges though, they are not cheap on Ebay
Old 03-10-2014, 12:35 PM

X-men-

Yeah, the pricing makes no sense. If you compare base to base and add leather to a 528, the gap shrinks to 4k. But if you compare msport to msport it goes back up to 5500. Yes, you get the $400 msport suspension and 19" wheels with the 535 msport.

And for 2014, leather is the only additional std feature on 535s. My theory is that they are trying to push the smaller engine for cafe reasons - otherwise it just makes no sense. Thought it was a mistake at first actually.

On the other hand they try and screw 528 customers with the premium pack cause if you want that with the msport you'll double pay for leather. which makes comfort access too painful to spec on an msport 528. Really weird pricing in f10-land for 2014.

In the past it used to be that the x35 models would come standard with a few more goodies I think like premium sound and upgraded headlights.

And yes, the n55 is even peachier. Ill miss my feisty 335 a bit.

Regarding sport mode, I kept it there because I'm a manual guy at heart and prefer to use the paddles to shift myself at all times. Hard to break old habits I guess. I'd get bored otherwise.

Assuming you want nappa leather and a thicker steering wheel, the msport package actually makes a lot of sense on the 528 given how they've priced it. Could take or leave the rest of it.

Last edited by bmw325; 03-10-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
On the other hand they try and screw 528 customers with the premium pack cause if you want that with the msport you'll double pay for leather. which makes comfort access too painful to spec on an msport 528. Really weird pricing in f10-land for 2014.
It looks like someone at BMW's pricing department is falling asleep at the wheel, double charging for options. I wonder if this is a legal practice, I know it is not too ethical.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:58 PM

I guess it all comes down to what you need and want in your car. BMW and every car manufacturer knows that consumers will usually pay for it, so if they group it right, we'll pay. I'm glad that I had many extended test drives in 528's while my 11 335 was in the shop because I probably would have gone with another n55. It was nice to come out way under budget with a loaded up car that fit my DD needs perfectly (almost perfectly, I got used to the automatic but even though it's a beauty, I absolutely hate having 4 doors and will never make that mistake again).
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
The F10 steering definitely takes getting used to (especially from ultra stiff E90) and yeah, it does wander a bit......it's not loose.......it's just that the car is not where you think it is sometimes and drivers will always be making adjustments. I don't know how else to describe it. Heard the newer 2014+ were better though so hopefully BMW gets the EPS where it needs to be eventually.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
@ OP, congrats on the new ride. Please post some photos .
Old 03-11-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
The F10 steering definitely takes getting used to (especially from ultra stiff E90) and yeah, it does wander a bit......it's not loose.......it's just that the car is not where you think it is sometimes and drivers will always be making adjustments. I don't know how else to describe it. Heard the newer 2014+ were better though so hopefully BMW gets the EPS where it needs to be eventually.
Yeah- I don't think it's as bad as the reports I've read in the past. Just a very subtle wandering feel. It actually reminds me how my e46 felt because that car tended to tramline a lot. Wish they would hire some engineers from ford because the ford fusion I rented a few weeks ago had perfectly tuned eps. As does my moms focus. So not sure what the deal is with bmw. It's not a deal breaker though- just could be better.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
@ OP, congrats on the new ride. Please post some photos .
Sure! Sorry for the crappy pics- my wife had no patience for me taking beauty shots.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1394526452.553922.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	427408

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1394526479.301390.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	427409

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1394526493.251651.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	427410

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1394526529.317738.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	427411

Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
I guess it all comes down to what you need and want in your car. BMW and every car manufacturer knows that consumers will usually pay for it, so if they group it right, we'll pay. I'm glad that I had many extended test drives in 528's while my 11 335 was in the shop because I probably would have gone with another n55. It was nice to come out way under budget with a loaded up car that fit my DD needs perfectly (almost perfectly, I got used to the automatic but even though it's a beauty, I absolutely hate having 4 doors and will never make that mistake again).
Yep. In this case I think they may have undermined themselves by being so greedy. They might have sold me comfort access for 500-1000 extra but no way am I paying 2500 for leather I already have, a power trunk and $300 Sirius (which I can always enable later on). Would think other customers would balk too. But most cars are probably specced with just the premium pack in which case it's a much better deal (the premium pack now includes nappa leather too).

For that same 2500 I could've added: HUD, full cameras, HK, and still had a few hundred left over.

Last edited by bmw325; 03-11-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 AM

Ended up fighting with the auto hold again this morning at the parking garage. Needed to open the door to reach the machine to insert the ticket. So I clicked auto hold. What I didn't realize is that if you open the door it puts on the parking brake. When I stepped on the gas the car woukdnt move. So the gate is open, my wife is screaming at me to go and i couldn't figure out why the car isn't moving. Kept fooling around with the gearshift, then pushing and pulling the parking brake. And yet the parking brake released automatically when i pressed the gas after turning the car on. Guy behind me starts honking.
So yeah- dont think ill be using auto hold again.

Jury is still out for me on auto stop/start. It's not a dramatic but you can feel a slight shudder when the car shuts off and comes back on. And if you forget that it's on it gets in the way when trying to park. Think ill leave it off.

Last edited by bmw325; 03-11-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to JKSH
Mein Auto: BMW F10 528i M Sport
Quote:
Ended up fighting with the auto hold again this morning at the parking garage. Needed to open the door to reach the machine to insert the ticket. So I clicked auto hold. What I didn't realize is that if you open the door it puts on the parking brake. When I stepped on the gas the car woukdnt move. So the gate is open, my wife is screaming at me to go and i couldn't figure out why the car isn't moving. Kept fooling around with the gearshift, then pushing and pulling the parking brake. And yet the parking brake released automatically when i pressed the gas after turning the car on. Guy behind me starts honking.

Jury is still out for me on auto stop/start. It's not a dramatic but you can feel a slight shudder when the car shuts off and comes back on. And if you forget that it's on it gets in the way when trying to park. Think ill leave it off.

Nice write up on your 528. Wondering is yours a LCI model? Cause I believed the LCI should have eliminated the shudder on the auto start/stop.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:

That made me laugh out loud at work because I could just picture it happening to me. Also, don't open the door with your seat belt off and try to back into a space. Your car will put itself in park and you'll hit your head on the B pillar (that was me). I love Auto Hold though after I got used to it and use it all of the time in creeping traffic.

ASS and Eco Pro might just as well not be in my car, I don't like either and will never use them.

Your car is beautiful. great color combo!

Last edited by wrickem; 03-11-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:

Not sure why you would use auto hold in a parking garage, in that situation, I would have just put the car in park, must be the old habit from driving a manual transmission. I usually engage the auto hold if I have to sit at traffic and then I shut it off right afterward so it doesnt engage the parking brakes the next time I start the car.

Last edited by The X Men; 03-11-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:

give the auto hold a chance; i love it after getting used to it. yes, when i'm pulling in slowly into a parking spot it'll sometimes push the brakes for ya. not too often. but honestly in normal driving it's great. if you're at a light for a minute or two, you can keep your foot off the brake. it's also good for quick takeoffs. either way, once you get used to it and learn its quirks, you'll love it. i had a lexus GS350 in between my 535i and my 550i and i sorely missed that feature. congrats