Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 06-03-2002, 07:52 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
P21S Carnauba: "The sum of all fears"

Applied it to our SUV prior to leaving for the midwest. Granted we had a couple snow storms (one in Montana, and another 3 inches in Cheyenne) and I took it off road up to our property (I had mud on it reaching the top of the roof in the rear, wife made me wash it all off after a couple days as she got tired of my "off-road badge") the P21S carnauba was completely gone once I returned home. It lasted 4500 miles, 1 off road trip, and 2 car washes...a total of 2 weeks.

Back to Griots Carnauba for this kid.
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2002, 09:00 AM
Wishes he had an XBoX

Mein Auto:
perhaps you might be interested in some Klasse?
Old 06-03-2002, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by low
perhaps you might be interested in some Klasse?
I'll go that route again some day (Polymer/Acrylics)...right now I'm going thru a "Carnauba Crisis"...kind of like a midlife crisis but has to to with natural wax.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Just Festering Around

Mein Auto: 330xi
How about Klasse with a carnuba topper?

I'm nearing the last of my Meguiar's Medallion products and am considering a switch to Klasse AIO plus P21S topper. Has anyone tried this particular combination?
Old 06-03-2002, 11:34 AM
sometimes i wish for an x

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally posted by awd330
How about Klasse with a carnuba topper?

I'm nearing the last of my Meguiar's Medallion products and am considering a switch to Klasse AIO plus P21S topper. Has anyone tried this particular combination?
i havent yet, but am about to... i'm just waiting for when i have a block of time. i want to AIO 2x, then SG 4x, then top with p21s.

i have heard though (and seen some pics awhile back) that p21s over klasse is AWESOME
Old 06-03-2002, 11:37 AM

Re: P21S Carnauba: "The sum of all fears"

Quote:
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Applied it to our SUV prior to leaving for the midwest. Granted we had a couple snow storms (one in Montana, and another 3 inches in Cheyenne) and I took it off road up to our property (I had mud on it reaching the top of the roof in the rear, wife made me wash it all off after a couple days as she got tired of my "off-road badge") the P21S carnauba was completely gone once I returned home. It lasted 4500 miles, 1 off road trip, and 2 car washes...a total of 2 weeks.

Back to Griots Carnauba for this kid.
rip, granted it was over a coat of blitz (which was probably a month, month and a half old) i've found that with daily driving the p21s lasted a bit longer than that. before the blitz, i had p21s alone and it lasted (good beading) about a month and a half before i noticed any poor beading. my car is daily driver, outside in the texas sun all day. not too much rain. but i will say the p21s over blitz is great. long lasting and great looking.

and while i ask you this a million times, any last minute tips for applying p21s with the PC? i havent done it yet, almost did this past weekend, but went with the hand app....
Old 06-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Wishes he had an XBoX

Mein Auto:
if i have time, i'll do the klasse and top off with blitz tomorrow. i have a half can full of this stuff i need to waste..hehe. hopefully the weather will be nice enough for me to take pics..
Old 06-03-2002, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto:
Re: Re: P21S Carnauba: "The sum of all fears"

Quote:
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX

rip, granted it was over a coat of blitz (which was probably a month, month and a half old) i've found that with daily driving the p21s lasted a bit longer than that. before the blitz, i had p21s alone and it lasted (good beading) about a month and a half before i noticed any poor beading. my car is daily driver, outside in the texas sun all day. not too much rain. but i will say the p21s over blitz is great. long lasting and great looking.

and while i ask you this a million times, any last minute tips for applying p21s with the PC? i havent done it yet, almost did this past weekend, but went with the hand app....
Yeah, it lasted longer on my Bimmer here too...I suppose the elements had alot to do with it on the SUV.

as for application, I mash it up with a fork, until it gets an almost buttery-type texture, then spoon it onto the wax pad, smear it around. Your ready to PC.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:26 PM
Just Festering Around

Quote:
i havent yet, but am about to... i'm just waiting for when i have a block of time. i want to AIO 2x, then SG 4x, then top with p21s.

i have heard though (and seen some pics awhile back) that p21s over klasse is AWESOME
eugene -
I've been reading about the difficulties people have with SG application, so I was considering going directly from AIO to P21S topper and skipping the SG step. I realize that this combo will not be as durable as it would with SG, but I'm willing to reapply P21S as needed (at least until winter sets in). Have you heard of any problems with skipping the SG step?
Old 06-03-2002, 08:19 PM

Quote:

eugene -
I've been reading about the difficulties people have with SG application, so I was considering going directly from AIO to P21S topper and skipping the SG step. I realize that this combo will not be as durable as it would with SG, but I'm willing to reapply P21S as needed (at least until winter sets in). Have you heard of any problems with skipping the SG step?
no, AIO actually has a little protection in it. i did my mother's lincoln towncar with the full klasse treatment, and i have to say, SG was a breeze to apply. i was wary going in hearing some horror stories, but it was pretty easy. if you have the SG, i say give it a shot, it's not as bad as it sounds.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:52 AM
Just Festering Around

Quote:
no, AIO actually has a little protection in it. i did my mother's lincoln towncar with the full klasse treatment, and i have to say, SG was a breeze to apply. i was wary going in hearing some horror stories, but it was pretty easy. if you have the SG, i say give it a shot, it's not as bad as it sounds.
eugeneDC/TX -
Thanks for your feedback. I haven't made my Klasse purchase yet, so I can still add SG to my order. I'm planning to place an order with Classic Motoring Accessories within the next week or so. They've got a 15% off sale going on for Autopia forum members. :thumb:
Old 06-04-2002, 09:16 AM

Quote:

eugeneDC/TX -
Thanks for your feedback. I haven't made my Klasse purchase yet, so I can still add SG to my order. I'm planning to place an order with Classic Motoring Accessories within the next week or so. They've got a 15% off sale going on for Autopia forum members. :thumb:
yeah i got taht email. i'm kicking myself as there are things i want but no extra cash these days. i really fetl SG wasnt as bad as the worst horror stories. i will say extremely light coats. cannot stress that enough. and damp (water or QD) app pad. i did the AIO with my PC, worked out well enough. but i used a lot of product. next time i'll try by hand.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Just Festering Around

Quote:
yeah i got taht email. i'm kicking myself as there are things i want but no extra cash these days. i really fetl SG wasnt as bad as the worst horror stories. i will say extremely light coats. cannot stress that enough. and damp (water or QD) app pad. i did the AIO with my PC, worked out well enough. but i used a lot of product. next time i'll try by hand.
Eugene-
Light coats and damp applicator. Got it. Wish me luck.

I'm going to hold off using Klasse on the BMW until I get the hang of the proper technique. Instead, I'll be experimenting on a vehicle I purchased about 2 weeks ago (a 1997 Mazda Miata with badly neglected paint). I've spent hours trying to restore the finish, but I'm still not satisfied with the results after several passes with Meguiar's #9 and Medallion. Thought it might be time to try some different product combinations.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Eugene-
Light coats and damp applicator. Got it. Wish me luck.

I'm going to hold off using Klasse on the BMW until I get the hang of the proper technique. Instead, I'll be experimenting on a vehicle I purchased about 2 weeks ago (a 1997 Mazda Miata with badly neglected paint). I've spent hours trying to restore the finish, but I'm still not satisfied with the results after several passes with Meguiar's #9 and Medallion. Thought it might be time to try some different product combinations.
definately clay that car. there are lots i would do, mostly steps that arent necessary, but that's how i am. good luck with restoration.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:23 PM
Just Festering Around

Quote:
definately clay that car. there are lots i would do, mostly steps that arent necessary, but that's how i am. good luck with restoration.
Eugene -
I clayed with Clay Magic the day after I got the car. I've since followed up with Meguiar's Medallion cleaner, Scratch-X, 3 coats of #9 Swirl Remover, and 2 coats of Medallion Paint Protection. While the finish is significantly better than before, I'm still not satisfied.

I should mention that I applied all of these products by hand. I had hoped to avoid purchasing a PC, but it might be a necessity in this case. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on this one - Should I buy a PC and use it with the remainder of my Meguiar's products (I only have enough product for one more pass), or should I just jump to Klasse with hand application?
Old 06-04-2002, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Eugene -
I clayed with Clay Magic the day after I got the car. I've since followed up with Meguiar's Medallion cleaner, Scratch-X, 3 coats of #9 Swirl Remover, and 2 coats of Medallion Paint Protection. While the finish is significantly better than before, I'm still not satisfied.

I should mention that I applied all of these products by hand. I had hoped to avoid purchasing a PC, but it might be a necessity in this case. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on this one - Should I buy a PC and use it with the remainder of my Meguiar's products (I only have enough product for one more pass), or should I just jump to Klasse with hand application?
okay, i'm no expert, but if the finish was untouched for a long period, i'd think that any abrasives would really need to be worked in to the finish, ala PC. although i cant really say one way or the other, i'd def say be satisfied with the finish before any klasse application. the PC can be had for 109 and tax from lowes. and the pad kit from cma (autopia's owners) is only 60 (plus that 15% discount). this is something the nice folks at autopia would probably be better at ithan me. klasse is usually thought to look it's best after 4-5 coats, topping out at about 5-6. most people usually carnauba top at that point. so be sure what's underneath before layering the klasse. i am of the opinion that PC is really helpful with abrasive steps that can really help the finish. i dont know if i answered your question or not. suffice it to say, i bought a PC without really having the need for one and while i've only used it a few times, i find it a great tool. not to mention you can use it for other things as well.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:58 PM
Just Festering Around

Quote:
okay, i'm no expert, but if the finish was untouched for a long period, i'd think that any abrasives would really need to be worked in to the finish, ala PC. although i cant really say one way or the other, i'd def say be satisfied with the finish before any klasse application. the PC can be had for 109 and tax from lowes. and the pad kit from cma (autopia's owners) is only 60 (plus that 15% discount).
Eugene-
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I was trying to hold off splurging on both the PC and the Klasse, but I guess I'm gonna have to open the purse strings a little wider. Good thing CMA's got that sale going. I'll add the PC pad kit to my order list.

In case you're interested, here's a pic of my new "project car".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left front.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1750  
Old 06-04-2002, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Eugene-
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I was trying to hold off splurging on both the PC and the Klasse, but I guess I'm gonna have to open the purse strings a little wider. Good thing CMA's got that sale going. I'll add the PC pad kit to my order list.

In case you're interested, here's a pic of my new "project car".
nice car. fun to drive. plus once you are done the finish should look great. dark colors are always better at showing effort.