Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 740i
Worm gear problem

I'm having heck of a time trying to fix my motorized rear window shade. The motor assembly has a problem - but not the usual one described on e38.org (where the motor goes "clack-clack-clack").

What happens with mine is that the worm gear gets jammed when it hits the mechanical limit. It takes way too much force to get the worm unstuck; more force than the motor can put out.

I disassembled the worm gear, cleaned it and packed with fresh grease. Did not see any obvious damage or exsessive wear. But the worm still gets stuck.

I ran into the that problem before with a completely different worm gear mechanism (not related to cars). Same exact thing - when the wheel hits the mechanical limit, the worm gets stuck hard.

Any mechanics here? Is that a common problem with worm gears? Is there any common cure?

Here is a picture of the gear in question, for those not lucky enough to own a shady E38:

Ads by Google
Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Society of the 7's East

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL
Replace the motor and stop torturing yourself. I do the same thing. I try to fix it if it shows any sign of life but sometimes the hassle factor is no longer worth it. Especially when you reinstall it and it happens again and again.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebida3 View Post
Replace the motor and stop torturing yourself.
Amen to that. I must have opened that motor 20 times already, enough is enough.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740I SPORT
I have this annoying problem now for a year. My fix? I grab my HD hammer, open trunk , bang underneath the rear shade mount middle stem. A couple of Taps , insert key, push shade button and it Drops like Normal
I'll eventually buy a1 at the yard but y'all know the trouble getting the shade out?
2000 740i Sport , Alpina 21`, Alpina Lip, Alpina Deco Stripe kit,Dinan 7,Dinan TB, DINAN CAI, DINAN Exhaust, Dinan Software Stage 5, Dinan manifold, Highline individual interior,Eibach/Bilstein,Zimmerman Timing guides done
Old 03-13-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABOCH View Post
but y'all know the trouble getting the shade out?
It's not that hard, but I sure wouldn't want to do it more than I have to...
Old 03-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Society of the 7's East

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL
When I replace a part with one new, I think that it is one part closer to being 100% restored! I have to justify why I don't spend another 100 hrs of torture.