Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Potenza ruined, what do I do?

Sadly, I cracked a rim and destroyed by Bridgestone Potenza 3G RFT last night. Gotta love those overstressed Los Angeles roads.

I had bought the tires with a Tirerack price match at the local Firestone dealer, and got road hazard as part of the deal, along with lifetime rotations and balancing. Firestone found a replacement rim for me off a wreck for a good price. the problem is that the damn Potenza's are out of stock everywhere. Firestone gave me the option of either the Turanza that was OEM (which is a CRAP tire),or a summer only Bridgestone RFT.

The three remaining tires all have a good deal of wear left on them, maybe another year or two.

What should I do?

P.S. I don't know what roll the RFTs had in the rim cracking, but the tire got me off the road without incident. If I had a cracked rim and GFT there, I would have been in BIG trouble.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Sadly, I cracked a rim and destroyed by Bridgestone Potenza 3G RFT last night. Gotta love those overstressed Los Angeles roads.

I had bought the tires with a Tirerack price match at the local Firestone dealer, and got road hazard as part of the deal, along with lifetime rotations and balancing. Firestone found a replacement rim for me off a wreck for a good price. the problem is that the damn Potenza's are out of stock everywhere. Firestone gave me the option of either the Turanza that was OEM (which is a CRAP tire),or a summer only Bridgestone RFT.

The three remaining tires all have a good deal of wear left on them, maybe another year or two.

What should I do?

P.S. I don't know what roll the RFTs had in the rim cracking, but the tire got me off the road without incident. If I had a cracked rim and GFT there, I would have been in BIG trouble.
at this point its just speculation that the GFT would have been big trouble, Just MAYBE if you had a Go flat tire the side wall would have absorbed the impact and you wouldnt have destroyed your rim, and only scared the side wall of the tire, Ever think of it in that way!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

What should I do?

>AHEM<

You should immediately, and without delay, solve the problem with Koni FSD's. Won't be no M3, but won't be no Pothole Explosion Express neither. Yo!

Oh, and replace the tire. RFT if you must. Hey, wait for it....can always rent a Lexus....
Old 03-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Get the Bridgestone part number off the sidewall and Google it. Chances are there are a lot more of them out there sitting on shelves. I did a quick search using what I recall as the stock number and had good hits, but you need your size info, too.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Sadly, both Bridgestone and TireRack are out of stock.

That wheel was impressively cracked, btw. And, this was not a large pothole.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:

No, I understand that TireRack and Bridgestone may be out of stock, but there are hundreds of independent dealers of the tires and I'm betting someone's got your tire gathering dust.
Example: I've sold BStones, I've got a few on the shelf, but no RFTs.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:02 AM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
What size is your tire? I have 3 fairly new 19" Potenzas in my garage!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:

Kilgore, it seems to me like the higher powers are trying to help you but you are not ready to listen. In Carribean they would use ganja to improve antennae's reception and I don't know what your tribe uses - but, whatever it is you better take it and start receiving.

... shshshshhhhhhh ... michshshhhhshhh... pishshshhs ... supshhhshhhhshh ... sposhhhhshhhhh ...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
at this point its just speculation that the GFT would have been big trouble, Just MAYBE if you had a Go flat tire the side wall would have absorbed the impact and you wouldnt have destroyed your rim, and only scared the side wall of the tire, Ever think of it in that way!
Never know for sure, but go flats do absorb this kind of hit alot better than rft. one of many reasons I went with go flats asap. N4S
Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 AM
puppet master

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
Never know for sure, but go flats do absorb this kind of hit alot better than rft. one of many reasons I went with go flats asap. N4S
^^This. Hit an expansion joint with the RFT's and felt as if the suspension was about to come up through the fenders. 2 weeks later, same expansion joint with go-flats, soaked it right up. And I no longer feel every single pebble on the road!

Old 03-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
No, I understand that TireRack and Bridgestone may be out of stock, but there are hundreds of independent dealers of the tires and I'm betting someone's got your tire gathering dust.
Example: I've sold BStones, I've got a few on the shelf, but no RFTs.
Don't forget that I have hazard insurance. I'm not just looking for the tire, the Firestone shop owes me a tire (or at least a pro-rated tire). So, they need to find the tire through whatever network they have.

Now, I could still buy a new tire on my own but that would entail all sorts of complexities.

The pro-rating is not that good a deal, so I could probably buy a brand new all-season RFT at TireRack for only a little more than Firestone will give me the new tire though.

What I should have done is buy five of the tires at the purchase time, for this eventuality.

And, all of you speculating about the role of RFTs in causing the wheel to crack - believe me I've thought of this. But, keep in mind these where the 3G Potenza 960s. They are not really harsh riding tires. Don't handle particularly well either, but that is another issue.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 03-14-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Non compos Mentos

Ohhhh...you are looking for a warranty replacement. Maybe you could work a deal with FStone where they could Google the tire and find 50 or so on shelves elsewhere and then buy one. You pay a little, they pay a lot. They could chalk it up to goodwill. Unless they want to get out of honoring the warranty and at the same time sell you 4 new tires. Seems like that's where they are coming from to me.

Wait, wait, I just realized something. Post the size and give me until Monday afternoon. I know people who know people at Firestone. Don't worry, we won't let anyone get caught in the middle.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:31 PM
puppet master

Just wanted to add: America's Tire didn't have the Pilot Super Sports that they installed on my car, but were able to get them overnight. I bought the tire insurance, so I know that if I destroy one, it will take 1 day.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:51 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:

What should I do?

Kilgore,
This is your just punishment for ignoring us for so long.

I see several options:

1. Call the Bridgestone 1-800 "hotline" and speak to a consumer relations rep. Plead your case and ask for an "emergency replacement tire" (which they always have) and that it be shipped to your local dealer (air freight) because you are "stranded."

If they act like idiots, ask to be transferred to the head office in Nashville, TN...ask to speak to the "head" of Consumer Relations. You have to get obnoxious at one point or another. You, after all were the "champion" of this tire on the widely popular Bimmerfest forum (weren't you?).

2. Get a cheap used tire after you've resolved the damaged rim problem. Preferably a RF used tire, but it can be a non-RF for a limited amount of time (on front), according to this authoritative source:

http://www.wikitz.com/tire_care_info...at%20tires.pdf

Certainly the Tire Rack will have an estimated time of delivery...do they show it?

The used tire option (unfortunately) will be expensive with both mounting/balance charges on "both ends."

This is my best shot.

PS: The 1-800 number might get you to a "regional" office and a "clueless" CS rep....ask who is answering and where they are when they answer the phone but give them a chance to resolve the issue. If you get through to Nashville head office, they're always willing to "compromise" and resolve the issue. It worked for me.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 03-15-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Kilgore.

Just drive on the rim.

It will for all practical purposes be identical to driving on a Potenza RFT.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 03-15-2014, 07:06 PM
puppet master

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Kilgore.

Just drive on the rim.

It will for all practical purposes be identical to driving on a Potenza RFT.

CA
because it's true!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Ohhhh...you are looking for a warranty replacement. Maybe you could work a deal with FStone where they could Google the tire and find 50 or so on shelves elsewhere and then buy one. You pay a little, they pay a lot. They could chalk it up to goodwill. Unless they want to get out of honoring the warranty and at the same time sell you 4 new tires. Seems like that's where they are coming from to me.

Wait, wait, I just realized something. Post the size and give me until Monday afternoon. I know people who know people at Firestone. Don't worry, we won't let anyone get caught in the middle.
I believe we need to know people at Bridgestone! They may still not be talking to each other.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 03-15-2014, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011/335i
Quote:

I hit a small pothole last week, felt like I slammed into a brick wall. Wasn't even much of a pothole. stress cracked a bunch of paint/powder coat off the rim, thick chunks of it.

2011 335i Sport/Premium/cold. Black-on-Black, Jack I LOVE this frickin' car!!!!
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 WERA SS-spec race bike
---------------------------------------------------------
89 SAAB 900T
92 SAAB 9000T sedan
94 Toyota Supra Turbo
95 Z28
05 SAAB 9-3 2.0T