Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM
European Car Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe
Recommendation for Black Grilles?

Hey guys. I'm looking to get some black grilles for my 2008 328xi coupe. I checked out the website for my local BMW dealer, and the price is around $124 (I think for a pair). I'll attach a link to them just so that you guys can see for yourself. Anyway, I also searched ebay and I found some black grilles for about half the price of the ones from the dealership. My question is, should I go with the ones from the dealership, or buy from ebay? I'm thinking I should go with the dealership so that I know I'm getting a genuine BMW part. Was never fond of buying something other than genuine BMW pieces, but thought I would just ask.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/25...CenterId=67600

Last edited by electricrc68; 03-13-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Recommendation for Black Grilles?

Plastidip yours black?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 AM
This space for rent

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
I bought mine from Khoalty. Great price and fast shipping. Couldn't be happier.

Shakey

http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e9x-black...tml#main-image
Old 03-14-2014, 02:49 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Mod my 3 .com (no spaces)

Old 03-14-2014, 04:20 AM
European Car Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPTYKIM View Post
Plastidip yours black?

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually don't want to plastidip the grilles because I don't feel that it would hold up too well to anything that may hit it such as pebbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeydeal View Post
I bought mine from Khoalty. Great price and fast shipping. Couldn't be happier.

Shakey

http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e9x-black...tml#main-image

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
Mod my 3 .com (no spaces)

Thanks guys! Are those as good as the OEM ones? I want to make sure everything has a good fit/finish. Oh, also, since my car is already out of factory warranty, using something other than a BMW part wouldn't affect anything in any way correct?

Last edited by electricrc68; 03-14-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Found the Search Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually don't want to plastidip the grilles because I don't feel that it would hold up too well to anything that may hit it such as pebbles.

Thanks guys! Are those as good as the OEM ones? I want to make sure everything has a good fit/finish. Oh, also, since my car is already out of factory warranty, using something other than a BMW part wouldn't affect anything in any way correct?

Never actually seen the BMW ones in person to compare. I have no complaints though.

This is probably the most benign thing you could do... No worries.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:23 PM
European Car Enthusiast

Quote:
Never actually seen the BMW ones in person to compare. I have no complaints though.

This is probably the most benign thing you could do... No worries.

Thanks! Sounds good.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:38 PM
European Car Enthusiast

Just for some clarification, the 2008 328xi coupe is an E92 correct? Also, is stealthauto.com a reliable place to order from? I'm not getting the grilles from them at the moment, but theres a small thing I would like to order.

Last edited by electricrc68; 03-15-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335I
Quote:

OH no, if BMW finds out you bought a non BMW authorized part they come to your house and make you take it off in front of your neighbors...
Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM
European Car Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by injekter View Post
OH no, if BMW finds out you bought a non BMW authorized part they come to your house and make you take it off in front of your neighbors...
Lol no I didn't mean it in that way. What I meant was, if I put a non BMW part on, if it would void any warranties still on the car. For example, on my dad's 2013 X5, if he was to replace his scratched windshield with a non BMW one, they would void the factory warranty that comes with the car. Of course, my car is already out of factory warranty anyway.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Lol no I didn't mean it in that way. What I meant was, if I put a non BMW part on, if it would void any warranties still on the car. For example, on my dad's 2013 X5, if he was to replace his scratched windshield with a non BMW one, they would void the factory warranty that comes with the car. Of course, my car is already out of factory warranty anyway.
Non authorized BMW parts will only cause a warranty issue if if the non BMW part fails or it can be shown that the non BMW part caused the failure of a BMW part.

In other words BMW could deny the warranty on a failed engine if you added a supercharger but not if you added an aftermarket black grill or aftermarket rims.

I have my BMWs serviced at BMW Manhattan, which is owned by BMWNA. They are very aware that I have replaced the RFTs and the OEM shocks on my 335i. This has never been an issue with warranty repairs.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 03-17-2014, 05:23 PM
European Car Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Non authorized BMW parts will only cause a warranty issue if if the non BMW part fails or it can be shown that the non BMW part caused the failure of a BMW part.

In other words BMW could deny the warranty on a failed engine if you added a supercharger but not if you added an aftermarket black grill or aftermarket rims.

I have my BMWs serviced at BMW Manhattan, which is owned by BMWNA. They are very aware that I have replaced the RFTs and the OEM shocks on my 335i. This has never been an issue with warranty repairs.

CA
Thanks for the information! That sounds good then. I feel better about getting the non OEM grilles now. Of course, my other concern is how well they may fit...I'm sure they should be just fine.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Found the Search Button

Quote:
Thanks for the information! That sounds good then. I feel better about getting the non OEM grilles now. Of course, my other concern is how well they may fit...I'm sure they should be just fine.

There's a lot of tolerance there.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 PM
European Car Enthusiast

Quote:
There's a lot of tolerance there.

Sorry I didn't understand you well...what do you mean by a lot of "tolerance"? Are you referring to the fact that BMW won't mind that the grilles are not OEM?

EDIT: Ah nevermind. I understand now. Sorry, it was at night when I read your reply and I was tired.

Last edited by electricrc68; 03-18-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:58 AM
European Car Enthusiast

I decided I'm going to try plasti dipping them. Its worth a shot since it won't cost too terribly much. So I have a question:

anyone use this to make plasti dipped grilles look glossy?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_538300-61158...dip&facetInfo=