Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Bang and Olufsen Equalizer Settings

A number of people on this board have been using my Bang and Olufsen settings. I have been further enhancing these settings during a 6 hour listening session last Sunday. Unlike the previous settings I posted, these settings seem to sound great at a much broader range of volume levels.

I didn't use any calibration software so I won't pretend these meet any objective standard of perfection, but I have to say that music with these settings sounds pretty awesome to me.

Use Expanded Mode for these settings.

Expanded Mode
Treble +7
Bass +6
Fader -6

EQ:
100 Hz +7
200 Hz +3
500 Hz +1
1 kHz -2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +3

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 06-24-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Nice! Thank you for sharing! V/r, Tim

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i xDrive
Stealth,

Were there major changes from the last post? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=670024). Also what changed in your vehicle that equalizer is now equaliser?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:31 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobar View Post
Stealth,

Were there major changes from the last post? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=670024). Also what changed in your vehicle that equalizer is now equaliser?
I alternate between English and the Colonial Pigeon English.

Nonetheless I have further enhanced the settings since this post and am updating it. The issue I was struggling with is that my settings were great at high volumes but not so great at lower volumes. I have now solved this and come up with settings which are great at any volume.

Use Expanded Mode for these settings.

Expanded Mode
Treble +7
Bass +6
Fader -6

EQ:
100 Hz +7
200 Hz +3
500 Hz +1
1 kHz -2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +3

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post

Nonetheless I have further enhanced the settings since this post and am updating it. The issue I was struggling with is that my settings were great at high volumes but not so great at lower volumes. I have now solved this and come up with settings which are great at any volume.
Fantastic, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm excited to try it.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
Stealth - I tried your previous settings and enjoy them. You don't find this new setup too bassy (with the +6 and then the +s across the low range in the EQ)? What type of music are you testing on/regularly listening to?

Also, another question for the B&O community, do you guys find a static/crackle on some sirius stations, particularly talk radio (like Howard, ESPN, etc.), but with music sometimes as well. I notice it almost sounds like a blown speaker coming from the passenger side. I have no issues with music off my iPhone via BT or the adapter.
ED Trip Report http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705892

Previous:
2011 X5 35d
2007 328xi
Old 06-24-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSoxFan View Post

Also, another question for the B&O community, do you guys find a static/crackle on some sirius stations, particularly talk radio (like Howard, ESPN, etc.), but with music sometimes as well. I notice it almost sounds like a blown speaker coming from the passenger side. I have no issues with music off my iPhone via BT or the adapter.
I've found that Sirius sounds like garbage no matter what type of system it's on. My guess is that they over compress the stream to try and jam more channels into the available bandwidth. Oddly enough, if you subscribe to the online streaming portion, and connect that via USB or external audio, it sounds a ton better.

I've also noticed it gets worse as you go up in channel number. 6,7,8,9 sounds OK, not great, but in the 50s, 60s plus range it gets worse.

96k streams are junk, period, and a high end system exacerbates it. Pandora/Xbox Music all the way.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobar View Post
I've found that Sirius sounds like garbage no matter what type of system it's on. My guess is that they over compress the stream to try and jam more channels into the available bandwidth. Oddly enough, if you subscribe to the online streaming portion, and connect that via USB or external audio, it sounds a ton better.

I've also noticed it gets worse as you go up in channel number. 6,7,8,9 sounds OK, not great, but in the 50s, 60s plus range it gets worse.

96k streams are junk, period, and a high end system exacerbates it. Pandora/Xbox Music all the way.
^ agree, the clip/pop you hear is the audio abruptly cutting off as it's compression relies on loosing data beyond a certain tone. Sirius in my E65/66 didn't sound all that great either.
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige