Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535ix
2009 335ix Injectors: Am I being ripped off?

First time poster. I'll try to post all relevant information. I have a 2009 335 IX with 59,500 miles, I am the original owner.
Three weeks ago engine started running rough. I brought it to an indy shop with good reputation in Central Massachusetts. They found that cylinder head cover had cracked and engine oil had pooled in each cylinder hole and coils were fouled. Cylinder head cover, gasket, ignition coils, protective tubes and spark plugs were replaced. Oil had apparently gone everywhere, so they cleaned it up "as best they could" and noted that the O2 sensors may be fouled, but they cleaned them off and said "let's see."

I paid $1800 for labor and parts. ($500 less than my regular dealer's rough estimate).

I took the car for a road trip two days after the repair. It ran well for first 100 miles. I stopped to stretch my legs, got back in car and it ran rough. After about twenty minutes, it ran smoothly, the service engine light went off. This happened with almost each start for the duration of my two day trip.

When I returned, I gave shop the car for a day. They said they hadn't completely diagnosed, but suspected an injector was the problem. They moved the injector to a different cylinder and have me the car back until they could properly diagnose. Car ran rough on and off, mostly when cold, and service engine light stayed on for the next five days, although engine ran rough only when cold.

I gave them the car yesterday to finish diagnosing. Today they called. Indy now tells me that one of the injectors is a problem. They recommend replacing all injectors at same time. Price estimate is $1400. They are concerned that their lead tech is gone for the next two weeks and he is he only one with the know-how to code the new injectors.

I had the HPFP replaced at 20-30k miles, as I recall. Don't know if any injectors were replaced then.

Is the quoted price reasonable? Do I need all injectors replaced or the one? (I have read that there was a change in injectors around 2009, so is there a danger of incompatible injectors if only one is replaced?) Any chance the injectors are covered under HPFP warranty?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Turd Ferguson; 03-14-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Poor typing skills
Ads by Google
Old 03-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Your injectors are NOT covered by the HPFP warranty, but they may be covered under the MA emissions warranty! MA is a copy (literally) of the CA emissions law and I think that injectors are covered. Google it.
If the indy does the job the injectors do NOT have to be coded to the ECU. The ECU will learn in a couple drive cycles everything it needs to know. Coding only sets the baseline so the injector pulse calibration is fine tuned from the first start. The ECU is going to begin to 'adapt' all those numbers anyway as soon as you start driving. It's a very smart machine.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
First time poster.

Ferg, you've been on a Magical Mystery Tour!

Reserved for trusting souls, your shop feel$ the love!

Recommend: Read your codes to see what's the lay o'the land. You'll need a BMW capable reader for that - if your Indy did it, he should give you a complete - did I mention complete? - printout.

So. What are your codes?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:18 PM

I have only the codes from the initial job when they replaced the cylinder head cover, etc. The codes were 29cd, 29cf, 29ce, 29cc, 2c7c, 2c3e, 2cab stored, whatever this mean.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Your injectors are NOT covered by the HPFP warranty, but they may be covered under the MA emissions warranty! MA is a copy (literally) of the CA emissions law and I think that injectors are covered. Google it.
If the indy does the job the injectors do NOT have to be coded to the ECU. The ECU will learn in a couple drive cycles everything it needs to know. Coding only sets the baseline so the injector pulse calibration is fine tuned from the first start. The ECU is going to begin to 'adapt' all those numbers anyway as soon as you start driving. It's a very smart machine.
DSZ: That is an AWESOME thought. Thanks- it would NEVER have occurred to me.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:37 PM

It seems, according to my BMW warranty book, that, under the California emissions warranty, Fuel Injectors are covered against defect for 7 years or 70,000 miles. I assume it is the same for Massachusetts. I have a call in to my service rep.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
If you have a bad injector and it's not covered by warranty then $1400 is a great deal. The injectors alone are almost $200/ea from any online parts store and yes once one goes then yes you should replace them all. It's a known issue and once one goes, the others are likely to follow.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I have been in touch with my dealer, and they tell me that, if the problem is fuel injectors, they are covered under the emissions warranty. I will know later this week.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
Thanks everyone. I have been in touch with my dealer, and they tell me that, if the problem is fuel injectors, they are covered under the emissions warranty. I will know later this week.
What a relief! Keep us posted as a new cylinder head cover cracking doesn't seem to come around here often. Looks like it would have had to crack pretty good and on the cylender side. DSXMachina...is this a concern or a one off for us n54 owners?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
What a relief! Keep us posted as a new cylinder head cover cracking doesn't seem to come around here often. Looks like it would have had to crack pretty good and on the cylinder side. DSXMachina...is this a concern or a one off for us n54 owners?
This is the first I've heard of a cover cracking, but with two nearly adjacent turbo's pumping out heat things could change.
It is virtually impossible to over tighten the cover because the screws have shoulders so they won't run down too far, or regular screws pass through metal grommets which prevent deformation. The purpose of the special screw or grommet arrangement is to ensure a specified pre-load on the gasket which helps prevent oil leakage.
If the OP's cover did crack then I'd suspect impact damage or misadventure during removal. If we had access to the old cover we could probably figure out the cause of the crack.