Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335iS [ ED ]
BMW M235i - my second test drive - w/Run Flats

Note: this M235i had been ordered with [ for whatever reason ] run flat Perelli all season tires. Cinturato P7s – size 225/40 x 18s – same size front & rear.

I drove another M235i Fri. afternoon. I do not trust myself to make a decision to spend this amount of money [ close to $50,000 MSRP, loaded ] without taking at lease 2 test drives – preferably separated by more than a week.

Aside from the different tires mentioned above, this was fundamentally & dynamically the same as the previous unit I drove. Premium, Tech, etc. I also drove this one as I drive my cars almost every day, year 'round = sunroof in full rear tilt up. I used the paddle shifters extensively, shifting up and down at various RPM and throttle openings. Excellent engine TQ. Flexible and very quick at every speed and any RPM. [ Briefly up to 80 MPH = approx.. 2250 RPM in top gear. ] Excellent exhaust sounds - on acceleration & on the overrun. Obvious, but not obnoxiously loud. Just right, for me

The automatic may not shift quite as quickly as the best dual clutch gearboxes, but it is very quick, while also not jarring at all – kudos. Upshifts begin with no discernable delay between paddle shift movement and shift execution. The downshifts are similarly quick, with precise rev matching and smooth transitions. 8 gears may seem like a lot of shifting would be going on, but in Drive, unless you are watching the tachometer and listening to the engine, there is virtually no indication that shifting occurs. Smooth.

The ride was certainly OK with the run flat tires, but as certainly was better with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports non-run flats. The handling was very good, though I never approach cornering limits in any test drive. To me, it feels both agile and well planted. Secure & 'tossable' - fun.

I did the test drive with a substitute sales rep, as 'mine' was tied up when I arrived. So – after my drive, the sub went to fetch my sales rep, and the sales person [ name withheld ] said they had not driven one. In fact, said that they had not even seen one before this one arrived at the dealership [ 7 miles when I took the wheel. ] I volunteered to be a passenger if they wanted to take the opportunity to drive now.

I was rather surprised that the offer was accepted. The sales person [ a very good and very aggressive driver ] cornered harder than I have ever come close to in a test drive – also exceeded the speed limits by more than I would typically dare. It was very interesting to observe from the passenger seat. Absorbing the sensations without having to also pay close attention to traffic and road conditions. The tires never gave any hint of being overworked. Certainly not dangerous driving, but far beyond anything I would dream of doing – even with a well broken in, used BMW - let alone one with barely 15 miles on the odometer, at the start of this second 'test drive'.

So. Very, very impressed, I am. I think it better fits my wants & needs, at the price point, than anything else currently available. Worth every dime of what I expect would be a negotiated transaction price – to me.

Want one. Now. But will likely wait a while & order one later this year – or early next.

Ray

From a BMW press release about the new 2 series – 'Addictive power: six-cylinder in-line engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology.'

'Addictive: very enjoyable in a way that makes you want to do or have something again'. I agree.
Ads by Google
Old 03-16-2014, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: '14 F22 M235i
Thanks for the review. Would you say the performance is on par with, or exceeds that of your 335is? Is it an E90 or E92?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:08 AM

vs 335iS

My seat of the pants feeling regarding the M235i's acceleration is in line with the
published numbers I have seen - about half way between the 335iS [ coupe ]
I had and the 2007 C6 Corvette I had previously. Quick enough, for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by basiluf View Post
Thanks for the review. Would you say the performance is on par with, or exceeds that of your 335is? Is it an E90 or E92?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: MMM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayainsw View Post
My seat of the pants feeling regarding the M235i's acceleration is in line with the
published numbers I have seen - about half way between the 335iS [ coupe ]
I had and the 2007 C6 Corvette I had previously. Quick enough, for me...
Not too familiar with the Corvette. So are saying the M235 is a bit quicker than the 335is? I would think they are similar in the acceleration dept with the edge going to the 335is because of the DCT. But the handling going to the M235

Last edited by funrevn; 03-18-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
The M235 and 335is offer similar performance only that the N54 engine offers more tuning options. I wouldn't say its a huge improvement moving from 335is to M235...Moving to an M4 would make a difference

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 AM

vs 335iS vs Corvette C6

The published quarter mile numbers that I have seen so far for M235i with the 8-speed automatic are 13.0 and 13.1
[ MT and R&T ].
The published numbers for the 335iS [ from memory here ] were typically 13.3 or 13.4.
The only published C6 Corvette quarter mile numbers I recall seeing for one equipped with the 6-speed automatic [ as my 2007 was ] were 12.8 sec, as I recall.

My ‘butt dyno’ tells me that the M235i feels subjectively at least that much quicker than the 335iS. And almost as quick as the Corvette that I put over 30,000 miles on.

My sense is that in Sport mode, the M235i transmission shifts very nearly as quickly as the DCT in my 335iS. On my test drives, I found the shifts quick enough for me – and [ equally important, to me ] very well managed. Never harsh. Amazing, for how quickly the shifts are accomplished.

- Ray

just my 2 cents worth . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by funrevn View Post
Not too familiar with the Corvette. So are saying the M235 is a bit quicker than the 335is? I would think they are similar in the acceleration dept with the edge going to the 335is because of the DCT. But the handling going to the M235