Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 1.9 M44
"trick" for handbrake with some teeth gone...

the last 3 teeth of my handbrake are gone, and so it doesn't grips on higher positions except the last one

it can be fixed at 6th ,7th teeth and at that position does not block the car (common problem with all bmw's..) on sloping streets.

I noticed a little "trick": with the car shut off, if you engage the handbrake and then push the "pedal brake", release the handbrake, release and push the pedal, then again pull the handbrake, it stops tightly the car, and the lever has way less escursion: seems it can lock the car.

do you ever noticed it?

except from tightening the handbrake with the hole on the wheels, E60 does not have the two bolts under the lever like e46, e36 and so on?
Old 03-22-2014, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: z3 1.9 M44
in addiction: for those who have an almost efficient handbrake, how many teeths do you nedd to "lock" the car in place, for example in planar streets ,engaging the clutch and trying to move?
Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i 6MT
A spring is used on the handle end of cables on E60. In order to get a really hard apply of brakes you have to pull 7-8 clicks. My car will hold on a steep hill with 4 clicks but the feel of the handbrake is too light and it does not give you confidence that it will hold. The models without the spring give the high effort at 5 clicks. These are with the park brake adjustment performed with the star wheel through lug bolt hole.