Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi
Random scratches appearing out of nowhere

When I bought my car a few months ago the paint was flawless, which is saying a lot for Sapphire Black Metallic. Lately I have noticed a few random scratches appearing around the car. One is on the front pass. quarter panel and one is on the trunk.
Normally this thing wouldn't bother me too much as this is, after all, a daily driver and they are small scratches that I plan to get waxed/polished/claybar'd out once the rainy season is over. However the rate that they are happening and the apparent randomness sort of scares me. I have NO IDEA where they are coming from.
My fear is that my car is getting vandalized in public lots by people who are jealous, careless, or just haters. Do you guys experience this sort of thing at all?
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 BMW M3 '06 BMW 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux45 View Post
When I bought my car a few months ago the paint was flawless, which is saying a lot for Sapphire Black Metallic. Lately I have noticed a few random scratches appearing around the car. One is on the front pass. quarter panel and one is on the trunk.
Normally this thing wouldn't bother me too much as this is, after all, a daily driver and they are small scratches that I plan to get waxed/polished/claybar'd out once the rainy season is over. However the rate that they are happening and the apparent randomness sort of scares me. I have NO IDEA where they are coming from.
My fear is that my car is getting vandalized in public lots by people who are jealous, careless, or just haters. Do you guys experience this sort of thing at all?
I once walked out to my old M3 and somebody kicked the drivers side door. You could even see the outline of their boot. Luckily I was able to get it popped out for relatively cheap since I am in the car business and have made contacts over the years. There are alot of haters out there. I have even thought of installing cameras inside my newer M3.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Are you aware of a recent curse or pox upon you? Many driving lesser cars turn to the occult when they see a M3 in traffic. For some, the BMW logo alone is sufficient to ignite desire for revenge.

Such people are dangerous! Keep an eye out for mystic hand signals, such as the elevated middle finger, a Sorceror's way of directing energy. Witches can be most vexing of all!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: E90 335xi 6MT
Are you certain the paint was "flawless" when you bought it? Assuming you purchased from a dealer, it wouldn't be uncommon for them to use a glaze type product with heavy fillers that conceal minor paint damage (including fine scratches and swirl marks). The glaze wears away over time through washes and rain, revealing the *true* state of the paint. In any case, sounds like you have a good plan with the clay / polish / wax approach.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
Are you certain the paint was "flawless" when you bought it? Assuming you purchased from a dealer, it wouldn't be uncommon for them to use a glaze type product with heavy fillers that conceal minor paint damage (including fine scratches and swirl marks). The glaze wears away over time through washes and rain, revealing the *true* state of the paint. In any case, sounds like you have a good plan with the clay / polish / wax approach.
It did have a "glasscoat" on it when I bought it which could have possibly been hiding swirl marks, but some of the scratches have been me walking in somewhere and walking out and the mark quite obviously happened while i was inside.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
so are you saying minor clear coat scratches or are you talking scratches thru the clear to the base coat

if someone was going to scratch the paint, I would think they would use a key or a sharp rock and really leave a mark

you might need to use a buffing machine and foam pads, clay the whole car and then buff with an electric buffer and the correct compound to get the scratches out

my car had Halo scratches when I purchased it used, I had the foam pads, several types, 3 different grades of compound, with about 4 hours of work ALL the scratches came out and looked like it was brand new
Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i coupe
Quote:
Do you use automatic carwashes?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54

Gosh-a-mighty!

Time to reveal a used car sales trick: Cheater's Wax

A liquid silicone, it fills light scratches and yields a mirror-like polish with little more than a spray application after shampoo.

But it don't last....wonder no more how all the used cars under lights in lots look sooooo good!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 03-21-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
might be the evil clown hiding in your garage, just saying
Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: '03 BMW M3 '06 BMW 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Gosh-a-mighty!

Time to reveal a used car sales trick: Cheater's Wax

A liquid silicone, it fills light scratches and yields a mirror-like polish with little more than a spray application after shampoo.

But it don't last....wonder no more how all the used cars under lights in lots look sooooo good!

Very true. I work in the car biz; amazing what some dealers do.