Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-20-2014, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 323i
My car tried to eat me this morning!

To preface I have an e90 MY2010 323i

This morning I went to drive my car to work as normal. When I unlocked the doors to my bag in the back they immediately relocked after I opened the door, then they reopened, then relocked, and so on and so fourth.

I had the key in my pocket so I took it out and thought "That's weird, I must've had the button pressed" Holding the key in the my hand the doors continued to lock and when they were locked kept trying to lock harder.

I got in the drivers seat and started the car. The vent was set to 22.0C auto with AC on, and the radio to some random station with just static. At first I thought someone had been in my car, but quickly realised that the iDrive had strangely reset itself. All of my driving data such as K's until emtpy and fuel readers and clock were all fine.

This whole time the doors continued to try and lock themselves. At first I thought, this is it, the Zombie apocalypse is here, then I thought maybe not, computers have finally risen up and are taking over. Coming to my senses, I continued to drive as I needed to get to work.

The whole drive to work I could hear the doors keep locking. At traffic lights I tried pressing buttons like the door unlock button on the dash, this didn't help. In my paranoid state I thought I smelled burning computer components, but it wasn't on fire.

I got to work and locked the car with the key and stood staring at it for a couple of minutes to make sure it didn't do anything funny as I have to leave it all day. Hopefully when I return it will have fixed itself, or not have a dead battery.

Anyone have any experience with this. In my early research (as I'm at work before the dealership opens) I've found varying opinions such as dying battery, some sort of chip malfunctioning, etc. Nothing concrete.
Ads by Google
Old 03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
How is your battery?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolin View Post
To preface I have an e90 MY2010 323i

This morning I went to drive my car to work as normal. When I unlocked the doors to my bag in the back they immediately relocked after I opened the door, then they reopened, then relocked, and so on and so fourth.

I had the key in my pocket so I took it out and thought "That's weird, I must've had the button pressed" Holding the key in the my hand the doors continued to lock and when they were locked kept trying to lock harder.

I got in the drivers seat and started the car. The vent was set to 22.0C auto with AC on, and the radio to some random station with just static. At first I thought someone had been in my car, but quickly realised that the iDrive had strangely reset itself. All of my driving data such as K's until emtpy and fuel readers and clock were all fine.

This whole time the doors continued to try and lock themselves. At first I thought, this is it, the Zombie apocalypse is here, then I thought maybe not, computers have finally risen up and are taking over. Coming to my senses, I continued to drive as I needed to get to work.

The whole drive to work I could hear the doors keep locking. At traffic lights I tried pressing buttons like the door unlock button on the dash, this didn't help. In my paranoid state I thought I smelled burning computer components, but it wasn't on fire.

I got to work and locked the car with the key and stood staring at it for a couple of minutes to make sure it didn't do anything funny as I have to leave it all day. Hopefully when I return it will have fixed itself, or not have a dead battery.

Anyone have any experience with this. In my early research (as I'm at work before the dealership opens) I've found varying opinions such as dying battery, some sort of chip malfunctioning, etc. Nothing concrete.

Mmmmmm.

VIEW & DO

Result?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 PM

The battery has since passed unfortunately as today the car will not start.

I will have to call roadside assist on Monday and get it to the dealer to get the final assessment and no doubt be charged a ridiculous rate for a new battery.

Hopefully though it's something else wrong and will be covered under warranty because the indicator on the battery is green, not that it may be 100% accurate.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
christine ?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:56 PM

Then I found this article and am wondering as I bought my car used if it was actually recalled
Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
have a dealer check. was one of the first things i did when i bought mine. go to the dealer , check recalls, copy of service history, make sure the system had it in my name etc...
Old 03-22-2014, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335i E92
Good luck and please post the dealer assessment....might not have had the battery connection recall performed on it yet so hopefully nothing out of pocket.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Yes will do first thing Monday as the service centre is closed today. And now just have to sit around and wait, will be interesting to find out though considering the official recall report:

What are the defects?
The plug-in contact of the battery-positive cable on the front power distributor (fitted behind the glove compartment) may be damaged by vehicle vibrations. Damage to the plug-in contact may impair the power supply to the vehicle.
What are the hazards?
As a result, access to the vehicle may no longer function (door locks), or the vehicle may no longer be started. In individual cases the engine may stall, the power steering may lose assistance and the electrical system may fail while driving. The situation becomes noticeable by flickering of the instrument panel and, where applicable, dipping of the engine (short, noticeable power drop). These issues pose a hazard to the drive and other road users.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Just an update for anyone wondering, or anyone who may experience the same problem.

I finally got around to getting the car into the dealer this morning (work was hectic and couldn't take the time).

Jumpstarted the car fine and let it run for about 30 mins before driving it to the dealer, so maybe thinking it's just a dead battery. But door locks continued acting funny, even when I tried pressing the central locking button I had to press it a couple times before it would actually open the door. Luckily I awake enough this morning to remember to roll down the windows as I let it run or I'd have been locked out.

Now just have to wait to see what they come back. Hopefully nothing major, and hopefully something covered under warranty!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM

An update and a bump!

The dealer rang back and said the diagnostic came back with that it needed a software update to the tune of $700 AUD, and he said he would update the software then run it again to see if the problem was fixed. The car is still under warranty, so I find it odd that a software glitch wouldn't be covered. He said there was also a problem with the boot, (or trunk for Americans) opening on it's own, which I had experienced as well but only a couple times so never thought anything of it. What does a software update even do? Unless it gives me bluetooth audio streaming I'm not really chuffed.

Although after considering all this, when I signed the service request it had possible dead battery written on it, so he could've easily sold me a new battery if they were looking for a quick buck.

All in all I'm pretty much at their mercy as the car was unreliable in it's crippled state and I couldn't risk driving it around getting multiple quotes. I just hope I don't have a lemon and this is the first of many bills, I've owned the car for only about 8 months.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
when you put it in drive did iDrive respond "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cant let you do that"
92 E34
89 E30 Cabrio
Old 03-29-2014, 12:03 AM

More anguish.

Used the car today to run some errands. Starts fine and I get to my first stop alright.

Get back in and the service light some on, you know the picture of the car being lifted up and "battery discharge" warning comes on. Car starts fine and warnings go away. Then a warning saying a door is open pops up but quickly goes away.

Throughout the rest of my day this chain of events are a common occurrence. I've also now got a little triangle with an exclamation point on sometimes and then goes away then comes on.

Fantastic. I hope I didn't get a lemon.