Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
iDrive controller trim bubbling

I only have 6k miles left on my new car warranty. As you can see, the silver trim on my iDrive controller is peeling off. Will BMW cover the replacement for this under warranty? The start button is starting to peel as well. It's bad enough that people ask "What did you do to the start button?" when they ride in my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1569.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	429596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1570.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	429597  

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
IMO they absolutely should! You know that iDrive trim is just going to peel up all the way in a couple months. Same thing happened to my start button. The dealer wouldn't replace mine, but told me they would do the install for free. So I bought the button on line for $60. I did later find out that it only takes like 10 min to do it. You should definitely ask though as this is obviously a defect.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
I've seen enough bimmers to say that it is very common. The salt in your naturally occurring sweat is the cause. Common for the start button too. You've been giving rides to some extremely intimidating ladies?
Old 03-22-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
IMO they absolutely should! You know that iDrive trim is just going to peel up all the way in a couple months. Same thing happened to my start button. The dealer wouldn't replace mine, but told me they would do the install for free. So I bought the button on line for $60. I did later find out that it only takes like 10 min to do it. You should definitely ask though as this is obviously a defect.
Bummer.

The iDrive controllers are pretty expensive. It's certaintly going to get worse, the finish is already coming up, I just refuse to touch it.

The start button is cheap but I think the controller is 500-700 dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
I've seen enough bimmers to say that it is very common. The salt in your naturally occurring sweat is the cause. Common for the start button too. You've been giving rides to some extremely intimidating ladies?
LOL! I bought the car a few months ago from a BMW dealer. The previous owner probably used some really harmful hand moisturizer or something.

Well. I guess I'll just have to live with it being ugly for now. =(

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-sport
You should at least run it by them. The dealers have surprised me in the past.
It's also interesting how attuned we are to the slightest imperfections.
'86 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 180k
'00 Lincoln LS
'00 328i 120k, Superstorm Sandied
'08 535xi
'13 335xi M-sport, 6 MT
Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechristmas View Post
You should at least run it by them. The dealers have surprised me in the past.
It's also interesting how attuned we are to the slightest imperfections.
BMW owners demand perfection.

I'll ask them. It's something that looks like a defect so they should cover it. I can understand the start button, but this isn't something that gets touched and is chipping from the edge.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 09 x5d, 11 335d
and the outcome?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:52 AM
Beamer, Benz, or Bentley?

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Im having the same issue going to call the service department and see what they have to say about it
Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalancone26 View Post
Im having the same issue going to call the service department and see what they have to say about it
My car is in for service now, the service advisor wrote down my issue, however when he spoke to the manager, the manager said it is not something covered under warranty as it is normal "wear and tear". (not something I'd expect would happen to a bmw but what else can I say)

On a side note, I hit my cupholder with my knee and it cracked (also something not covered under warranty. I am ok with that because I know I did it). Neither is the rear tow hook bumper cover which seemed to have gone missing, or the lower drivers side bumper mesh which cracked, or mudflap which has fallen off.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriang View Post
... not something covered under warranty as it is normal "wear and tear".

On a side note, I hit my cupholder with my knee and [1] it cracked (also something not covered under warranty....). Neither is [2] the rear tow hook bumper cover which seemed to have gone missing, or [3] the lower drivers side bumper mesh which cracked, or [4] mudflap which has fallen off.
You understood why (1) was denied of course, under the "you break it, you bought it" principle. The factory warranty also does not cover parts that are lost/misplaced/stolen (2), damage due to ordinary wear and tear (3), which includes impacts from stones, birds, trees, other cars, wombats and so on, or aftermarket/dealer installed accessories (4) - nor should it. However, if the dealer installed the mudflaps, you should press them a bit harder to stand behind their work. Dealer-performed repairs (and I believe this includes installations of OE genuine BMW accessories) are supposed to be backed by a one- (or two?)-year parts warranty, including re-installation labor.

One trick to getting trim wear-and-tear covered is to identify a problem before the actual wear develops. Example: I had my steering wheel replaced under warranty for a ~2mm high ridge at the 10 o'clock seam, where the adjoining hides were not fitted perfectly. My complaint was that the high spot was going to wear prematurely compared to the surrounding leather, that it would not become visible for years and that I would prefer not to have an argument at the 49,999mi mark over whether I was right. The regional BMW rep inspected it, agreed with my assessment and authorized replacement.

In short, successful wear & tear claims need a strong argument as to why the wear is abnormal (hint: stronger than "I think it should last longer.") It also helps to have a decent relationship with your dealer. Once the deterioration is well underway, you are usually out of luck, unless the car is very young with low mileage (i.e., an obvious manufacturing flaw). The earlier you can identify a potential problem, the better.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 04-08-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM

I was ok with the rear tow cap, front bumper grille and cup holder and I guess the mudflap not covered which is why I already purchased them, but as for the idrive button metal trim peeling seems like a defect to me,

I didn't bother going to service until the weather got a bit better outside, and makes me a little jealous when I hear how many things get replaced in the states.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
You understood why (1) was denied of course, under the "you break it, you bought it" principle. The factory warranty also does not cover parts that are lost/misplaced/stolen (2), damage due to ordinary wear and tear (3), which includes impacts from stones, birds, trees, other cars, wombats and so on, or aftermarket/dealer installed accessories (4) - nor should it. However, if the dealer installed the mudflaps, you should press them a bit harder to stand behind their work. Dealer-performed repairs (and I believe this includes installations of OE genuine BMW accessories) are supposed to be backed by a one- (or two?)-year parts warranty, including re-installation labor.

One trick to getting trim wear-and-tear covered is to identify a problem before the actual wear develops. Example: I had my steering wheel replaced under warranty for a ~2mm high ridge at the 10 o'clock seam, where the adjoining hides were not fitted perfectly. My complaint was that the high spot was going to wear prematurely compared to the surrounding leather, that it would not become visible for years and that I would prefer not to have an argument at the 49,999mi mark over whether I was right. The regional BMW rep inspected it, agreed with my assessment and authorized replacement.

In short, successful wear & tear claims need a strong argument as to why the wear is abnormal (hint: stronger than "I think it should last longer.") It also helps to have a decent relationship with your dealer. Once the deterioration is well underway, you are usually out of luck, unless the car is very young with low mileage (i.e., an obvious manufacturing flaw). The earlier you can identify a potential problem, the better.
Boy this is more trouble than a moose on the interstate.
It is despicable that you fail to mention it will also depend on the current mental state of being of the service manager. As well as how long ago have you brushed your teeth last?
I think I'd rather deal with the problem myself then get my knee pads out for the great overlords of the service department.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 AM

agreed for which most of the matter I didn't bother with because it wasn't my main concern for my service visit anyways, they are mainly minor cosmetic issues that can easily be fixed.

I went in there with a list of things that are not right with the car, if they fixed it great... if not oh well...business is business and I wasn't going to argue over these things.
The dealership I go to changed its staff so many times it was nearly impossible to make a connection with anyone either

Last edited by adriang; 04-08-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
[T]he idrive button metal trim peeling seems like a defect to me ... makes me a little jealous when I hear how many things get replaced in the states.
I agree, even though plated plastic (it's not solid metal, as you can see) is not the most durable stuff. In your shoes, I wouldn't quit after just one rejection. Maybe ask the dealer to escalate it to their regional representative, or ask BMW NA (BMW Canada?) to investigate, specifically asking for a second opinion. Is there another dealer near enough to you to visit?

I am not familiar with the warranty terms in Canada...it all hinges on that, of course. There's little more to say if it's less comprehensive than the US version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
Boy this is more trouble than a moose on the interstate.
It is despicable that you fail to mention it will also depend on the current mental state of being of the service manager. As well as how long ago have you brushed your teeth last?
I think I'd rather deal with the problem myself then get my knee pads out for the great overlords of the service department.
When it comes to wear & cosmetic items, we're at the fringe of the warranty and it can go either way. It's not about sucking up, it's basic negotiation, namely to get someone to agree that the situation is not normal. If you were the one who would eat an $800+ repair, if you were refused reimbursement for a cosmetic defect most people wouldn't even notice, wouldn't you think twice before agreeing?

But yes, I've shrugged off a handful of small complaints over the years in order to not be perceived as a jerk. On the rare occasions I press a complaint, they know I mean it. That goes a long way toward taking knee pads out of the equation.

Quote:
I went in their with a list of things that are not right with the car, if they fixed it great... if not oh well...business is business and I wasn't going to argue over these things.
The dealership I go to changed its staff so many times it was nearly impossible to make a connection with anyone either
That's a good attitude for the long haul. It's a shame you can't really become a familiar face to anyone, though...that's pure gold.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 04-08-2014 at 12:19 PM.