Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Nerdboss Nerdboss is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,105
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
iDrive controller trim bubbling

I only have 6k miles left on my new car warranty. As you can see, the silver trim on my iDrive controller is peeling off. Will BMW cover the replacement for this under warranty? The start button is starting to peel as well. It's bad enough that people ask "What did you do to the start button?" when they ride in my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1569.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	429596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1570.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	429597  
__________________
2011 328i | Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-22-2014, 03:31 PM
ddeliber ddeliber is offline
Loving my d
Location: Boston Area
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 505
Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
IMO they absolutely should! You know that iDrive trim is just going to peel up all the way in a couple months. Same thing happened to my start button. The dealer wouldn't replace mine, but told me they would do the install for free. So I bought the button on line for $60. I did later find out that it only takes like 10 min to do it. You should definitely ask though as this is obviously a defect.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Watchme Watchme is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 553
Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
I've seen enough bimmers to say that it is very common. The salt in your naturally occurring sweat is the cause. Common for the start button too. You've been giving rides to some extremely intimidating ladies?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Nerdboss Nerdboss is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,105
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
IMO they absolutely should! You know that iDrive trim is just going to peel up all the way in a couple months. Same thing happened to my start button. The dealer wouldn't replace mine, but told me they would do the install for free. So I bought the button on line for $60. I did later find out that it only takes like 10 min to do it. You should definitely ask though as this is obviously a defect.
Bummer.

The iDrive controllers are pretty expensive. It's certaintly going to get worse, the finish is already coming up, I just refuse to touch it.

The start button is cheap but I think the controller is 500-700 dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
I've seen enough bimmers to say that it is very common. The salt in your naturally occurring sweat is the cause. Common for the start button too. You've been giving rides to some extremely intimidating ladies?
LOL! I bought the car a few months ago from a BMW dealer. The previous owner probably used some really harmful hand moisturizer or something.

Well. I guess I'll just have to live with it being ugly for now. =(
__________________
2011 328i | Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 AM
joechristmas's Avatar
joechristmas joechristmas is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Annandale, VA
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 262
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-sport
You should at least run it by them. The dealers have surprised me in the past.
It's also interesting how attuned we are to the slightest imperfections.
__________________
'74 Duster MT on the column
'74 Cutlass S
'73 Malibu Classic "400"
'86 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 180k
'00 Lincoln LS
'00 328i 120k, Superstorm Sandied
'08 535xi
'13 335xi M-sport, 6 MT
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Nerdboss Nerdboss is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,105
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechristmas View Post
You should at least run it by them. The dealers have surprised me in the past.
It's also interesting how attuned we are to the slightest imperfections.
BMW owners demand perfection.

I'll ask them. It's something that looks like a defect so they should cover it. I can understand the start button, but this isn't something that gets touched and is chipping from the edge.
__________________
2011 328i | Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-07-2014, 09:48 PM
adriang adriang is offline
Registered User
Location: Nobleton On
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 09 x5d, 11 335d
and the outcome?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-08-2014, 01:52 AM
smalancone26 smalancone26 is offline
Beamer, Benz, or Bentley?
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Im having the same issue going to call the service department and see what they have to say about it
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 AM
adriang adriang is offline
Registered User
Location: Nobleton On
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 09 x5d, 11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalancone26 View Post
Im having the same issue going to call the service department and see what they have to say about it
My car is in for service now, the service advisor wrote down my issue, however when he spoke to the manager, the manager said it is not something covered under warranty as it is normal "wear and tear". (not something I'd expect would happen to a bmw but what else can I say)

On a side note, I hit my cupholder with my knee and it cracked (also something not covered under warranty. I am ok with that because I know I did it). Neither is the rear tow hook bumper cover which seemed to have gone missing, or the lower drivers side bumper mesh which cracked, or mudflap which has fallen off.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Zeichen311's Avatar
Zeichen311 Zeichen311 is online now
Lost but making good time
Location: Here, there or in transit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,915
Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriang View Post
... not something covered under warranty as it is normal "wear and tear".

On a side note, I hit my cupholder with my knee and [1] it cracked (also something not covered under warranty....). Neither is [2] the rear tow hook bumper cover which seemed to have gone missing, or [3] the lower drivers side bumper mesh which cracked, or [4] mudflap which has fallen off.
You understood why (1) was denied of course, under the "you break it, you bought it" principle. The factory warranty also does not cover parts that are lost/misplaced/stolen (2), damage due to ordinary wear and tear (3), which includes impacts from stones, birds, trees, other cars, wombats and so on, or aftermarket/dealer installed accessories (4) - nor should it. However, if the dealer installed the mudflaps, you should press them a bit harder to stand behind their work. Dealer-performed repairs (and I believe this includes installations of OE genuine BMW accessories) are supposed to be backed by a one- (or two?)-year parts warranty, including re-installation labor.

One trick to getting trim wear-and-tear covered is to identify a problem before the actual wear develops. Example: I had my steering wheel replaced under warranty for a ~2mm high ridge at the 10 o'clock seam, where the adjoining hides were not fitted perfectly. My complaint was that the high spot was going to wear prematurely compared to the surrounding leather, that it would not become visible for years and that I would prefer not to have an argument at the 49,999mi mark over whether I was right. The regional BMW rep inspected it, agreed with my assessment and authorized replacement.

In short, successful wear & tear claims need a strong argument as to why the wear is abnormal (hint: stronger than "I think it should last longer.") It also helps to have a decent relationship with your dealer. Once the deterioration is well underway, you are usually out of luck, unless the car is very young with low mileage (i.e., an obvious manufacturing flaw). The earlier you can identify a potential problem, the better.
__________________
2011 335xi Individual 6MT - Azurite Black Metallic / Oyster & Black / Anthracite Maple + all the good stuff
2003 330Ci Sport 5MT - Black Sapphire Metallic / Natural Brown / Myrtle + the important stuff

   N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 04-08-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM
adriang adriang is offline
Registered User
Location: Nobleton On
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 09 x5d, 11 335d
I was ok with the rear tow cap, front bumper grille and cup holder and I guess the mudflap not covered which is why I already purchased them, but as for the idrive button metal trim peeling seems like a defect to me,

I didn't bother going to service until the weather got a bit better outside, and makes me a little jealous when I hear how many things get replaced in the states.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Watchme Watchme is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 553
Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
You understood why (1) was denied of course, under the "you break it, you bought it" principle. The factory warranty also does not cover parts that are lost/misplaced/stolen (2), damage due to ordinary wear and tear (3), which includes impacts from stones, birds, trees, other cars, wombats and so on, or aftermarket/dealer installed accessories (4) - nor should it. However, if the dealer installed the mudflaps, you should press them a bit harder to stand behind their work. Dealer-performed repairs (and I believe this includes installations of OE genuine BMW accessories) are supposed to be backed by a one- (or two?)-year parts warranty, including re-installation labor.

One trick to getting trim wear-and-tear covered is to identify a problem before the actual wear develops. Example: I had my steering wheel replaced under warranty for a ~2mm high ridge at the 10 o'clock seam, where the adjoining hides were not fitted perfectly. My complaint was that the high spot was going to wear prematurely compared to the surrounding leather, that it would not become visible for years and that I would prefer not to have an argument at the 49,999mi mark over whether I was right. The regional BMW rep inspected it, agreed with my assessment and authorized replacement.

In short, successful wear & tear claims need a strong argument as to why the wear is abnormal (hint: stronger than "I think it should last longer.") It also helps to have a decent relationship with your dealer. Once the deterioration is well underway, you are usually out of luck, unless the car is very young with low mileage (i.e., an obvious manufacturing flaw). The earlier you can identify a potential problem, the better.
Boy this is more trouble than a moose on the interstate.
It is despicable that you fail to mention it will also depend on the current mental state of being of the service manager. As well as how long ago have you brushed your teeth last?
I think I'd rather deal with the problem myself then get my knee pads out for the great overlords of the service department.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 AM
adriang adriang is offline
Registered User
Location: Nobleton On
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 09 x5d, 11 335d
agreed for which most of the matter I didn't bother with because it wasn't my main concern for my service visit anyways, they are mainly minor cosmetic issues that can easily be fixed.

I went in there with a list of things that are not right with the car, if they fixed it great... if not oh well...business is business and I wasn't going to argue over these things.
The dealership I go to changed its staff so many times it was nearly impossible to make a connection with anyone either

Last edited by adriang; 04-08-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Zeichen311's Avatar
Zeichen311 Zeichen311 is online now
Lost but making good time
Location: Here, there or in transit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,915
Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriang View Post
[T]he idrive button metal trim peeling seems like a defect to me ... makes me a little jealous when I hear how many things get replaced in the states.
I agree, even though plated plastic (it's not solid metal, as you can see) is not the most durable stuff. In your shoes, I wouldn't quit after just one rejection. Maybe ask the dealer to escalate it to their regional representative, or ask BMW NA (BMW Canada?) to investigate, specifically asking for a second opinion. Is there another dealer near enough to you to visit?

I am not familiar with the warranty terms in Canada...it all hinges on that, of course. There's little more to say if it's less comprehensive than the US version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
Boy this is more trouble than a moose on the interstate.
It is despicable that you fail to mention it will also depend on the current mental state of being of the service manager. As well as how long ago have you brushed your teeth last?
I think I'd rather deal with the problem myself then get my knee pads out for the great overlords of the service department.
When it comes to wear & cosmetic items, we're at the fringe of the warranty and it can go either way. It's not about sucking up, it's basic negotiation, namely to get someone to agree that the situation is not normal. If you were the one who would eat an $800+ repair, if you were refused reimbursement for a cosmetic defect most people wouldn't even notice, wouldn't you think twice before agreeing?

But yes, I've shrugged off a handful of small complaints over the years in order to not be perceived as a jerk. On the rare occasions I press a complaint, they know I mean it. That goes a long way toward taking knee pads out of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriang View Post
I went in their with a list of things that are not right with the car, if they fixed it great... if not oh well...business is business and I wasn't going to argue over these things.
The dealership I go to changed its staff so many times it was nearly impossible to make a connection with anyone either
That's a good attitude for the long haul. It's a shame you can't really become a familiar face to anyone, though...that's pure gold.
__________________
2011 335xi Individual 6MT - Azurite Black Metallic / Oyster & Black / Anthracite Maple + all the good stuff
2003 330Ci Sport 5MT - Black Sapphire Metallic / Natural Brown / Myrtle + the important stuff

   N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 04-08-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 AM
brettdt88 brettdt88 is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 335i xDrive
TSB for trim

I believe there is now a technical service bulletin related to the idrive trim issue. I found mention of it on the eautorepair.net website. Here is the link https://www.eautorepair.net/app/TSBS...5xi&PS=2&MA=15

the bulletin number is "65 02 15".

Does anybody have any insight into the contents of this bulletin? I have tried scouring the internet for an answer but couldn't find one, most people say you can only access this Technical Service Bulletin by paying a fee because these types of bulletins aren't public knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 AM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,242
Mein Auto: S62B50 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdt88 View Post
I believe there is now a technical service bulletin related to the idrive trim issue. I found mention of it on the eautorepair.net website. Here is the link https://www.eautorepair.net/app/TSBS...5xi&PS=2&MA=15

the bulletin number is "65 02 15".

Does anybody have any insight into the contents of this bulletin? I have tried scouring the internet for an answer but couldn't find one, most people say you can only access this Technical Service Bulletin by paying a fee because these types of bulletins aren't public knowledge.
BMW probably replaces it, with another, new piece of cheap tin.
__________________
Ilse

2002 E39 M5 / TiAg / Tubi Rumore / Autosolutions SSK / Ultimate pedals /
BMWCCA #453648
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Nerdboss Nerdboss is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,105
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
BMW probably replaces it, with another, new piece of cheap tin.
They replaced the one I posted above with a whole new controller. Now the gear shift trim is bubbling too, I think BMW needs to revise the silver finish they are using.
__________________
2011 328i | Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 PM
bg702 bg702 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 8
Mein Auto:
The chrome ring around the controller is available separate . There is a service bulletin on that issue
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-30-2015, 07:11 PM
brettdt88 brettdt88 is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 335i xDrive
Do you know what that service bulletin says? I believe I referenced the correct bulletin number above.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-13-2015, 10:18 AM
brettdt88 brettdt88 is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 335i xDrive
Update: Had the chrome ring replaced this week as a "Customer Satisfaction Courtesy"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms