Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-22-2014, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328 Xi
Servo Motor Fauty for 2009 E90 Xi

I just upgraded my wheels and tires from 205/55-R16 to 225/45-R17. After about 50 miles, a got a 4X4 malfunction error. I took the car in to BMW for a 4 wheel alignment and diagnosis.
BMW said the Transfer Case Servomotor needs replaced. It will cost $944.42 and additionally $113.95 to program if needed.
I inquired how often do they fail. They said they replaced a few but mostly with cars with high mileage. My car only has 47227 miles. I don't doubt that it needs replaced.
But what should I be concerned about. I use someone other than BMW to service other cars of mine. They service BMW, Mercedes, Porche, Ferrari, high end cars. My concern is the programming if needed. Do I just want to get it serviced at BMW so as not take any chances.
This is my first BMW which I purchased used last year.
I plan to get a competitive estimate regardless.

Any comments will be appreciated
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Those seem to be a pretty common failing part - I have done one recently - they use a soft aluminum worm gear in them and it fails - if you tak e it apart the gear is stripped, newer ones have a different gear on them, so the part has been updated. Car I did was a 2008 with about 55k on it. It is a relatively easy repair, I did it on the garage floor on jack stands - first time I took it out to see what was wrong, it took me about an hour and a half, second time it took 30 minutes to do. No programming is necessary with the replacement, just plug it in and the lights will be gone. Part was about $450 I think with 20% CCA discount.

Part is called a set positioning motor

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/ind...&siteid=214672

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633200

You also do not need any fluid - if the car is level, it won't loose any fluid, but might be a good time to change it as you need to take half the stuff out just to get to the fill plug, so since you are in there already, it is easy to change.

If you are not a DIY kind of guy, definitely go to an Indy Mechanic, should be 600-700 installed.

Rob

Last edited by roadkillrob; 03-22-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:19 PM

Rob, thank you very much. It helped. I used to do my own work but I am up in age and will probably take it to the high end garage. But now i have an better idea of the cost and how involved the repair is. And I will have them change the fluid.

My concern was the programming if needed and the estimated replacement cost.

Your help and reference is greatly appreciated. I guess than failure at 47K miles would not be that uncommon with the aluminum worm gear.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:27 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
First of all your transfer case fluid is 0.6L and is shot. it should be changed much more frequently than 50K miles. It is only something BMW sells but the good news is the 1.0K bottle will allow you to do two changes since it is only 0.5L to refill. Consider all the power of the engine goes through that transfer case. I used to take care of an X3 which uses a similar system and if you wonder over to this site

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=566880

I think you can replace this yourself or at least be more educated as to the actuator replacement...
Old 03-23-2014, 04:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
First of all your transfer case fluid is 0.6L and is shot. it should be changed much more frequently than 50K miles. It is only something BMW sells but the good news is the 1.0K bottle will allow you to do two changes since it is only 0.5L to refill. Consider all the power of the engine goes through that transfer case. I used to take care of an X3 which uses a similar system and if you wonder over to this site

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=566880

I think you can replace this yourself or at least be more educated as to the actuator replacement...
Unfortunately the X3 gear is different than the E90 gear, the X3 guys found some washer pump gear or something that is a direct fit on theirs (they have a plastic gear that fails and a different design), so you can replace for like 8 bucks which is nice, instead of a 500 part that has to be replaced just for a simple gear. The E90 gear that fails is on the motor shaft, a small worm gear that drives against a larger gear and it has about 5 teeth on the gear, 3 of the teeth in the middle do all the work and just wear away. Maybe as more fail someone will make a gear to replace it - you could charge 50 bucks just for the gear and everyone would still buy it!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:07 AM

To all who replied: The comments are very much appreciated. Thank you for educating me
In my opinion also, changing fluids regularly is cheap insurance.

I will have the transfer fluid changed when the servo is replaced.

The margin on this small dc servo is probably ridiculous but WE are a captive market unfortunately. They deliberately make parts as through aways for profit margin. I don't deny anyone a profit but not excessive.