Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Parking break

I was changing the rotors for my 2008 bmw 328i and I noticed that my parking break was completely gone. Is it possible to just take out the parking break with kit and install the rotors without a parking break?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
I am not sure I understand your situation. Your parking brake assemblies should be inside your rear brake rotors ("top hat design"). Are the parts to the parking brake completely missing, or are the parking brake shoes simply worn out?

A photo would be really helpful.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto:
They are simply worn out. I think I need a new hardware kit because the driver side is not tight and it doesn't low me to install my new rotor

Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by questions17 View Post
I was changing the rotors for my 2008 bmw 328i and I noticed that my parking break was completely gone. Is it possible to just take out the parking break with kit and install the rotors without a parking break?

Gimme a brake! How you gonna keep your ride from rollin' on a grade?

Those're the brakes.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
I am not sure I understand your situation. Your parking brake assemblies should be inside your rear brake rotors ("top hat design"). Are the parts to the parking brake completely missing, or are the parking brake shoes simply worn out?

A photo would be really helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1395591482.650681.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	429732

Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540
I don't see anything wrong. Looks like there's still plenty of meat on the parking brake shoes
Old 03-23-2014, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
I don't see anything wrong. Looks like there's still plenty of meat on the parking brake shoes

Well that's because I put new ones

Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by questions17 View Post
They are simply worn out. I think I need a new hardware kit because the driver side is not tight and it doesn't low me to install my new rotor

Perhaps I am still not understanding the situation here. It appears you have plenty of adjustment on your "star" adjuster at the top. This will permit you to decrease the diameter of your parking brake shoes, so the rotor can fit over them. Is there something else amiss with the hardware?

Old 03-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: e90 325i
Just making sure, you understand that the adjuster hardware is supposed to mounted inbetween the shoes so it can spread em right? Right now it is just sitting on top of the spring not connected. I assume thats just a pic you took as you were putting it back together and not done yet, but just making sure.

Should be the adjuster on top with a spring, the parking cable clip on the bottem with a spring. I always install the shoes to the shield, then put the cable holder and adjuster on followed by the spring on top and then using pliers, I get the lower spring on. (you also need to push in the parking brake cable extender under the parking brake lever to get enough play on the cable).

I ordered aftermarket rebuild kit and the quality was such crap (Centric) that I just reused most of my old stuff. Whether your hardware is worn out or not, the rotor should still be able to go back on unless you have the parking brake shoes mispositioned.

How are the springs? I doubt those will wear enough to cause the problem, but if it did it'd be pretty obvious looking.

Edit: Belay my last on the adjuster not being connected, looks fine. Sorry, my tv/screen is across the room.

I'd make sure you have the right shoes. Some 328i's have larger rotors and use the bigger parking brake shoes that are the same as the 335i's. Some use the smaller shoes that all 325i's use.

Last edited by Herc130; 03-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.