Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-23-2014, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 335i xDrive
Time to switch to the world of BMW?

Hi all,

I currently have a fully loaded 2012 Mustang 6-Speed 3.7 but have so many issues with it that even though its still under full bumper to bumper warranty I'm getting read to sell it before it depreciates more. The last straw was the infamous paint bubbles on my hood and truck that mustangs are known to get. so fords going to strip it and repaint it under full warranty but since I'm at my dealership so often my service advisor told me unless i wanted to buy a new hood and trunk out of my own pocket (2 grand before paint and labour), its going to happen again within a year.

I'm looking at getting a 2011 328i drive coupe with navi and possibly sport package; manual.. auto.. doesn't matter to me. i can get a low km one for high 20s maybe just touching 30s.

my mustang was my first car, paid cash for it and am hating the thought that i may sell it so i want to make sure I'm making the right decision. also living in toronto, the bmw vs a mustang, never mind the xdrive, would be a huge difference in the snow i assume.

my dad had a 1994 3 series, now has a 2006 325xi, a coupe friends have 2009+ 3 series and x3s but no one i know has a 328. besides maintenance costs are the 2011 328i's pretty solid cars? does anyone know how the xi compares to the xdrive? not technically but how they perform in the elements
Ads by Google
Old 03-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan91 View Post
Hi all,

I currently have a fully loaded 2012 Mustang 6-Speed 3.7 but have so many issues with it that even though its still under full bumper to bumper warranty I'm getting read to sell it before it depreciates more. The last straw was the infamous paint bubbles on my hood and truck that mustangs are known to get. so fords going to strip it and repaint it under full warranty but since I'm at my dealership so often my service advisor told me unless i wanted to buy a new hood and trunk out of my own pocket (2 grand before paint and labour), its going to happen again within a year.

I'm looking at getting a 2011 328i drive coupe with navi and possibly sport package; manual.. auto.. doesn't matter to me. i can get a low km one for high 20s maybe just touching 30s.

my mustang was my first car, paid cash for it and am hating the thought that i may sell it so i want to make sure I'm making the right decision. also living in toronto, the bmw vs a mustang, never mind the xdrive, would be a huge difference in the snow i assume.

my dad had a 1994 3 series, now has a 2006 325xi, a coupe friends have 2009+ 3 series and x3s but no one i know has a 328. besides maintenance costs are the 2011 328i's pretty solid cars? does anyone know how the xi compares to the xdrive? not technically but how they perform in the elements
The 2011 328i will be the most reliable BMW you can find. All the kinks worked out and I'd imagine you'll find it much more enjoyable compared to your Ford.

Buy a car that has a CPO warranty and rest easy.

What other problems have you had with your Mustang besides the paint?

*Edit*

Welcome to the 'Fest!

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats

Last edited by Nerdboss; 03-23-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
The 2011 328i will be the most reliable BMW you can find. All the kinks worked out and I'd imagine you'll find it much more enjoyable compared to your Ford.

Buy a car that has a CPO warranty and rest easy.

What other problems have you had with your Mustang besides the paint?

*Edit*

Welcome to the 'Fest!
I've had the car for 2 years. for the first year and a half I've had the suspension bushings and sway bar changed out twice because of suspension noise; which is still happening and ford can no longer reproduce the noise. now in the past 6 months I've had a new seat put in because of cracking leather, 3 leaks on the drivers side in the cabin which froze all my carpet, a screw that came out in the drivers side door that was rattling around inside, 2 more leaks in the drivers side cabin, dashboard rattling non-stop, transmission starting to whine, hood paint bubbles, heated seat broken (it just heats up in one spot where it burns my back and nothing else gets heated) and trunk paint bubbles
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
i have had a '11 328xi for bout 2 months now. 2 jettas prior . gotta say, the cup holders suck . really. and run-flats, 93 octane gas,and bigger gas expense etc.... other than that, they may have to surgically remove my smile.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
ask ford to buy back your car. they do that.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
I've had the car for 2 years. for the first year and a half I've had the suspension bushings and sway bar changed out twice because of suspension noise; which is still happening and ford can no longer reproduce the noise. now in the past 6 months I've had a new seat put in because of cracking leather, 3 leaks on the drivers side in the cabin which froze all my carpet, a screw that came out in the drivers side door that was rattling around inside, 2 more leaks in the drivers side cabin, dashboard rattling non-stop, transmission starting to whine, hood paint bubbles, heated seat broken (it just heats up in one spot where it burns my back and nothing else gets heated) and trunk paint bubbles
Did you buy it new? You have a lemon. No way that all of that stuff should of happened. Insane!

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 03-23-2014, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
i want to make sure I'm making the right decision

Far more sophisticated and urbane than any Mustang, the BMW is a gentleman's car....a technical car....a car that says YOU are a man of taste and education.

Why would you care? Well....the sweeter sex does, and did you need to know anything more?

Oh, reliability is OK but if it breaks, ain't cheap. For the man's man, huge base of detailed DIY docs, Youtube + pictorial posts. Good juju for us boys.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashewb View Post
ask ford to buy back your car. they do that.
Possibly, but he is in Canada, so the laws may be different.

To the OP: BMW's are normally engineered and built to a higher standard than Fords (or most other mainline brands). The 2011 328i seems to be the most reliable of the E90 series. Try to find one with a 6-speed manual transmission.

Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
so what the deal with the paint bubbles?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
so what the deal with the paint bubbles?

An adhesion issue usually related to metal prep for coating.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
Possibly, but he is in Canada, so the laws may be different.

To the OP: BMW's are normally engineered and built to a higher standard than Fords (or most other mainline brands). The 2011 328i seems to be the most reliable of the E90 series. Try to find one with a 6-speed manual transmission.

Welcome to Bimmerfest!

yeah exactly. laws in canada are different compared to the u.s. they protect you more against making sure the manufacture fixes the issue not on lemon buy backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Did you buy it new? You have a lemon. No way that all of that stuff should of happened. Insane!
brand new. special order straight from factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
An adhesion issue usually related to metal prep for coating.
right. the aluminium oxidizes because the seals aren't sealed properly and poorly prepped metal. the bad seals allow any salt in the air to get onto the poor prepped aluminum which causes the oxidization
Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM

thanks for your opinions/advise everyone.

its a hard decision but I'm definitely leaning towards getting the 328
Old 03-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Fest WŰrks

Mein Auto: 07 335i coupe
Not trying to be a dick.. but that'd what you get for buying a V6 mustang... Go big or go home with American Muscle... my friend has one, just like you he's had issues but he enjoys the coyote engine so much that it is worth the hassle of going to the dealership. Just like the mustang the BMW will have it's fair share of issues... thats just what you deal with buy a brand new car
Black Sapphire 6MT
BMS JB+ & DCI
Turbosmart BOV
Old 03-24-2014, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive
You won't be disappointed

My wife has a 2006 Mustang GT Convertible that we've had since new. I have been shocked at all of the fit/finish issues that we've had with that car. Fortunately, the paint hasn't had problems and the powertrain has been bulletproof, but between the plastic pieces that break, the hole in the carpet because of a poor install, the trim peeling off in a couple spots, the spoiler cracking, the exhaust rattling against a frame assembly piece, the lower ball joints failing, and the like.....it's been a disappointment. Fun car to drive fast in a straight line though.

I bought a 2011 328i xDrive last week with 41k, Nav, Premium Package and Cold Package for $24,750 last week and I am very happy with the decision so far. I am seriously thinking about ditching the run flats at the next tire change though. You will not be disappointed in a BMW if you enjoy doing more than driving fast in a straight line.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
I almost bought a Mustang instead of my BMW. Since then I have ridden in two that rattle and shake so much I would have been furious with my decision.