Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-23-2014, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: e53 X5 and e46 M3
Eonon D5124F - Happy but minor issues

I've installed the D5124F in our 2001 e53, X5 non-DSP, without factory navigation. Overall I'm very happy with the unit, but I do have a few issues I'm hoping some people can help with. I did have to cut away most of the stock cage, and modify the installation brackets for the new head unit to fit. I'm very happy with the IGo navigation software, and I found out the max SD card size seems to me 32gig. A 64gig card gave me a "bad SD card" error.

1. My steering wheel controls don't work at all. I have the only plug that fits the CANBUS, plugged in, and they worked before the install. The CANBUS flickers when the radio is powered on.
It took over a month, but Eonon sent me a new canbus for free. However, even with the new canbus my steering wheel controls still don't work at all. My original canbus was light blue and the new one is brown. Eonon has offered to fix this issue if I send the whole thing back and pay $40 for shipping. I now have to determine if it's worth it to me to send it back. I'd have to cut and label all the soldered wires, pay $40 and do without a head unit for my guess is about a month.

2. Too much interference for the other person on a Bluetooth phone call. Bluetooth works great with playing music, but on a phone call its very difficult for anyone to hear me, although I can hear them fine. I've also tried installing an external mic and it is no better. Do I need to disable the Eonon built-in mic? What about the stock external mic near the dome lights? The new external mic I installed at the bottom of the dash display just behind the steering wheel, and plugged it into the Eonon with no improvement.
I still don't have good enough call quality to use the head unit for making calls. I believe the issue is that the Eonon built in mic picks up too much engine noise. Eonon told me there is no way to deactivate the internal mic. I'm debating taking the unit apart and removing the internal mic, therefore only using the external mic. My concern is possibly voiding the warranty. I did find that disconnecting the stock BMW mic near the dome lights helped a little.

3. What's the small black plug with the 4 wires for? I can't find any place it fits.
This is for their factory use and in car video screens, which I don't have.

4. There are 2 blue wires that both seem to be for a power antenna. I don't have a power antenna, so I left them alone. Is this correct?
Yes I have no power antenna so I don't use either of these

Thanks for any help, these forums proved invaluable for my install to this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	429871   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140316_153557.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	429872   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140316_153527.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	429873   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140316_162714.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	429874   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140316_153621.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	429875  

Last edited by nbender182; 06-29-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Progress Update
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2014, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2004 E53
Hi nbender,

I've got the same problem so would love to hear what eonon said to you? I bought my unit from ebay so it's not from eonon directly so I'm not sure if they'll help but the support has been pretty good up to this point. Everything is hooked up as per the instructions but the steering wheel controls don't work.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Hi nbender182, I've already sent an Email with solutions to you, please kindly check.
Glad to hear you like our unit, welcome to share with us some installation pics/vid here, so that many guys would know our unit better and appreciate you, thanks a lot!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EononCarDVD View Post
Hi nbender182, I've already sent an Email with solutions to you, please kindly check.
Glad to hear you like our unit, welcome to share with us some installation pics/vid here, so that many guys would know our unit better and appreciate you, thanks a lot!
any chance you could send me that link??
Old 03-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunter View Post
any chance you could send me that link??
Hi Crunter, please also PM me with your Email and order No. of the unit, I'll help you further, thanks!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Hi Crunter, please also PM me with your Email and order No. of the unit, I'll help you further, thanks!
I've sent you two emails but no reply???
Old 03-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Past Sponsor

Hi Crunter, hope you can understand we don't work in the weekend.
I've just replied to your PM, please kindly check, thanks a lot for your patience!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: e39
Would appreciate responses and fixes to be addressed on the thread instead of pm's. I am having the exact same problem and would like to know the solution if any.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: E39 528i
Hi
I have the same problem with the steering control.
I got the unit from eBay.
I appreciate any advice or support about this issue.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2014, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
I an having the same problems with my d5124fu that i bought for my 2003 x5 steering wheel controls not functioning and also have to cut out original cage. need help please?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Past Sponsor

Hi guys, for your steering wheel control issue, please try to disconnect and reconnect the can bus firmly to have a try. If the problem still exists, the guy who bought from ebay pls write Email to the direct ebay seller directly. And guys bought from our official website pls tell me you order No. and Email, I'll help you further, thanks a lot!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: e46
Anyone got a solution for the steering wheel issue as Im having the same

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=236
Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 PM

Steering controls still not working

Just a quick heads up. My steering wheel controls and remote still arent working. I contacted the seller on ebay and they have been pretty good in terms of responding to emails and so on but the issue is still here. they posted me out another CANBUS which i've connected and thjat still did not rectify the issue. Now they want me to spend another $40 to send it back to them so I can get a refund. Its pretty dissapointing seeing that they advertise the unit as plug and play but to actually install it into an X5 e53 you have to cut out the radio bracket so it will fit in the dash, so its far from plug and play.

I'm not sure if its a software issue or the cables are just crap, but I do know that its been a complete waste of time and money!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Just a quick heads up. My steering wheel controls and remote still arent working. I contacted the seller on ebay and they have been pretty good in terms of responding to emails and so on but the issue is still here. they posted me out another CANBUS which i've connected and thjat still did not rectify the issue. Now they want me to spend another $40 to send it back to them so I can get a refund. Its pretty dissapointing seeing that they advertise the unit as plug and play but to actually install it into an X5 e53 you have to cut out the radio bracket so it will fit in the dash, so its far from plug and play.

I'm not sure if its a software issue or the cables are just crap, but I do know that its been a complete waste of time and money!
My steering wheel controls and remote are not working either. Im still waiting to hear from EONON. Looks like similar issue as yours so it cant be isolated.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=236

Here's another with the same steering buttons + remote noy working issue

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...stcouteert=244

Last edited by fgin; 04-15-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 PM

Has anyone sorted this as yet, as I have same issue
Old 04-27-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_BMW View Post
Has anyone sorted this as yet, as I have same issue
Eonon have said they have posted a new CANbus box and a new remote controller via normal post . I am still waiting for it. Will update once I receive them and get them installed.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgin View Post
Eonon have said they have posted a new CANbus box and a new remote controller via normal post . I am still waiting for it. Will update once I receive them and get them installed.
ok thanks, I too am waiting for a new CANbus but I am not convinced will solve the problems...... but wait in hope....
Old 04-27-2014, 07:07 PM

I have to send mine back to get looked at, the new canbus didnt work......
Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I have to send mine back to get looked at, the new canbus didnt work......
that's what I am afraid of as well that the CANbus issues are a symptom, not a cause.

Pity I didn't find this thread till after I purchased and got the unit as has taken a lot of time and effort to get a "plug and play" unit to only partially work as expected.

On a similar note, does anyone know how to change the NAV system from the Sygic one to IGO8 as the Sygic one slows the unit down too much and I cant get it working successfully.

I have IGO8 on SD card but after using the Sygic one I cant get the path (in setup) to take the new system as is always trying to look for "//driver.exe" and I cant get it to see igo8.exe, even after a factory default (that also defaults the language to Chinese so be careful with this!!).

thanks in advance...
Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_BMW View Post
that's what I am afraid of as well that the CANbus issues are a symptom, not a cause.

Pity I didn't find this thread till after I purchased and got the unit as has taken a lot of time and effort to get a "plug and play" unit to only partially work as expected.

On a similar note, does anyone know how to change the NAV system from the Sygic one to IGO8 as the Sygic one slows the unit down too much and I cant get it working successfully.

I have IGO8 on SD card but after using the Sygic one I cant get the path (in setup) to take the new system as is always trying to look for "//driver.exe" and I cant get it to see igo8.exe, even after a factory default (that also defaults the language to Chinese so be careful with this!!).

thanks in advance...
AFAIK under settings you can point navigation to a different .exe.

Crunter, it's not fair that we/you have to incur any costs in order to ship the unit back to fix a major problem that shipped with brand new units and by the looks of it, its a common problem affecting many of Eonon customers lately. So far Carlos from Eonon has been helpful and pretty quick to get the new CANbus and the remote controller in the post. If that fails to fix the problem, let's hope Eonon are not going to make us all pay for their failure. I'd be really

Last edited by fgin; 04-27-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought was possible as well through the setup screen, but for some reason after running the Sygic s/w the path to the .exe preloads and I cant workout how to change it.

is always looking for a ../windowsCE/driver.exe and cant seem to clear it.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Crunter, it's not fair that we/you have to incur any costs in order to ship the unit back to fix a major problem that shipped with brand new units and by the looks of it, its a common problem affecting many of Eonon customers lately. So far Carlos from Eonon has been helpful and pretty quick to get the new CANbus and the remote controller in the post. If that fails to fix the problem, let's hope Eonon are not going to make us all pay for their failure. I'd be really

UPDATE:
As mentioned above Carlos from Eonon has been very helpful and quick to react to my issues so far and sent a new CANbus and a new remote controller and it WORKED!
So now I have the steering and remote control operations working as advertised. One thing I noticed was that the LED in side the new CANbus box does not flash as in the original CANbus box I received with the unit.

Hope the others get their issues sorted out too. good luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
UPDATE:
As mentioned above Carlos from Eonon has been very helpful and quick to react to my issues so far and sent a new CANbus and a new remote controller and it WORKED!
So now I have the steering and remote control operations working as advertised. One thing I noticed was that the LED in side the new CANbus box does not flash as in the original CANbus box I received with the unit.

Hope the others get their issues sorted out too. good luck!
thats good news, hopefully once my new CAnbus turns up I will have same success
Old 05-11-2014, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: e39
Quick update to the steering wheel control issue. Got a new canbus decoder and it fixed the problem. Read that fgin reported no LED flashing in his working decoder, my working decoder flashes. Unit works great except for the speaker outputs being off l-r, r-f, so I repinned the connector. Overall I am happy with the unit. Looks and sounds better than my factory non dsp business cd. Will add a sub in the future.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:06 AM

new canbus worked

got new canbus today and it worked, as soon as I plugged it in the volume control worked straight away, thats the good news.

bad news is still cant get nav to work, looks like not getting gps data even though gps ant plugged in.

thought the prob was becau unit was ruuning so slow with orginal s/w so I upgraded the s/w on the nav to use IGO (which is a lot lot faster) but still no go, any thòughts?