Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: E89 Z4
Going Back to Mercedes

Yes, I love the way the e89 drives, handles and looks. But mechanically, (especially with regard to reliability) it seems that the car itself is so poorly made. Nothing but trouble with it since day 1 (owned the car for less than 2 years!):

-Constant service warning light coming on for no reason (making keyless entry, etc. impossible)
-Complete front end had to be replaced (thank God for warranty)
-Rear brake pads worn out after very low milage interval
-Negative battery cable bad (or so they said at Center BMW)
-AM band of stereo makes weird static sounds when I step on the brake
-Car keeps tram-lining after I-don't-know-HOW-many alignments

If I were to have to pay for these repairs, the cost would be CRAZY!

I own 2 Mercedes and have NEVER had such a bad track record!

<<EDIT>>
Turns out there was nothing wrong with the CAR after all. Last time the service indicator was reset, they FORGOT to do a few routine things. That's why the light kept coming on. Took the car to a different place, and POOF! All is well with only new rear brake pads needed. Also, alignment was performed free of charge. (Turns out that the original place again forgot to do that after the front end work was originally done). AM radio was ok...just needed the antenna to be tightened (D'OH!). And there was nothing wrong with the battery cable after all.

Last edited by MuzkGuy; 03-31-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: update
Ads by Google
Old 03-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i
Sorry to hear that you have had so many problems with your car. I have had my 2010 35i for over four years now and other than the HPFP replacement have not had any problems with my car. I have also owned two previous generation Z4's and this car is a much more solid car than the E85. Four years later and it is still rattle free and problem free.

I think you may have just got a bad car. It happens with all makes and models.

2006 Z4 30i - Monaco Blue, beige leather
2003 Z4 2.5- Sterling Gray, black leather
1998 Z3 2.8 - Bright Red, black leather
Old 03-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
No problems here with 2 E89's. Tough break.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 03-28-2014, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Bought my third e89 yesterday. Nothing but joy. :-)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 AM

Turns out there was nothing wrong with the CAR after all. Last time the service indicator was reset, they FORGOT to do a few routine things. That's why the light kept coming on. Took the car to a different place, and POOF! All is well with only new rear brake pads needed. Also, alignment was performed free of charge. (Turns out that the original place again forgot to do that after the front end work was originally done). AM radio was ok...just needed the antenna to be tightened (D'OH!). And there was nothing wrong with the battery cable after all.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto:
Which one was the bad dealer that caused that much grief?

Leo-RochesterMI
2010 30ixDrive Black/Black
Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzkGuy View Post
Nothing wrong with the car, just knee jerk reflex on your part? Get it checked

Travel Photos

Join BMW CCA
Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Nothing wrong with the car, just knee jerk reflex on your part? Get it checked
The second place I took it to did everything correct according to the computer's service requirements. The first place did NOT. That was the issue. As far as "knee jerk", not so. I went to the dealer repeatedly for all kinds of "issues" and still kept getting the service light on. Again...when I finally went somewhere else, everything is great.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM
e66

Mein Auto: 2003 745li
op. tram lining is the car following grooves in the road.. not a car problem, thats a road problem.. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47 so basically nothing was wrong with car... at all.. bad mechanic, but again bmw takes the wrap..
Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.w.crater View Post
op. tram lining is the car following grooves in the road.. not a car problem, thats a road problem.. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47 so basically nothing was wrong with car... at all.. bad mechanic, but again bmw takes the wrap..
Exactly! However, I was prompt in reporting that it was NOT, after all, the car, but the dealer.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 05 Z4 3.0, 01 530
I spent 10 years as a service manager for Porsche and Chevrolet. I can tell you emphatically from experience that 90+% of the "lemons" out there are really just not serviced properly. A TRUE lemon is a very rare car.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.5isDrive
haha Mercedes is for old people. I love my Z4!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i biturbo
I agree.
But, I think the z4 might be for teenagers.
It's sort of like a $70k civic.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.5isDrive
sure I know for you older folks it is hard to get in out of the Z4. It is obvious you haven't driven a Z4. It is 3000 lbs of car that has 100 lbs differential between the front and rear axles. It is perfectly balanced and very well centered as it rolls down the road. You may know the Civic but you don't know the Z4. It feels like a car 3 times larger and acts like car ready to respond to very turn of the road at any speed. Maybe someday you can experience the ultimate touring machine. haha. you are funny.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i biturbo
rrodriggeuzdl,

I don't know if you are responding directly to my post, but I think you might be, because it is immediately after my post.
Everything is relative I suppose, including my opinion; you don't have to defend your car. I have tried to give my Z4 a chance, but it may simply be the wrong car for me.
You're right; I don't drive it. It sits in the garage for weeks at a time. It really needs an owner as enthusiastic as you to drive it every day.

Charles J
Red 2010 Z4 3.5isDrive twin turbo
Old 05-19-2014, 04:24 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Did the new workshop really fix the radio problem?

Any more details on what the new shop did?