Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Car poor

Send a message via Yahoo to airboss1998
Mein Auto: 2006 X3, 2009 Z4
What to buy?

I know this is very subjective, but appreciate your thoughts.

Had a '97 Z3 I sold a couple of years back, ready for another convertible. Have an '06 X3 for daily driver, so this will be my summer fun car (in midwest, so probably April - October car). As such, don't want to put a lot of money into something that sits half (or more) of the year.

Started looking at 2007 vintage Z4's, then saw the new body style (09?). Was in Florida last week and killed some time looking around and saw a 25k mile 2009, for under $20k, or a 48k mile 2011 for $24.5k. While I'd prefer to stay under $20k, could go as high as $25.

The look of the hard-top has really grown on me, although it won't get driven that much with the top up (never wanted to drive a convertible all year round, for some reason), and with the X3, really won't be driving it in rain/snow. That being said, the top leaked on my Z3, so that's a big deal for me. Car will occasionally sit outside while I'm on the road, so curious about the soft versus hard top. Also, the 2009 I was looking at was waiting on a new top motor.

Part of the attraction (at least with FL car pricing) in the extra cash and buying an '11 model, they still have some warranty.

Okay, open to thoughts. Thanks.

PS. In case you're wondering, I travel for a living, just happened to be in FL last weekend, and again this weekend. Plenty of time to shop on the road.
Ads by Google
Old 03-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
I have had Z4's with both the soft and hard top. I love the new e89 with the hard top because it's just like having a coupe when the weather is bad. The e89 is a lot heavier than the old ragtop, making it a little less peppy and agile, but power isn't a problem. Have not heard of anyone having trouble with a leaky top, although some have had motor issues. It's amazing how cheap you can buy used Z4's. Good luck.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 35is
Own a Z4 35is and just love it. It's comforting having a hard top for security and decreased cabin noise.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Love my Z4 as well. Even in SoCal, there just aren't as many of them as you would expect. As a result, my car gets quite a bit of attention when driving around town, the freeways, or along the coast.

I'm getting an i3 and plan on retiring one of my other BMW's (either the Z4 or the 135). In the end, I decided to retire the 135. Even though the 135 is a rocket and I absolutely love driving it, I enjoy the Z4 even more!
2008 335i Convertible Space Gray (retired)
Old 04-16-2014, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 35is
What to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron001 View Post
Love my Z4 as well. Even in SoCal, there just aren't as many of them as you would expect. As a result, my car gets quite a bit of attention when driving around town, the freeways, or along the coast.

I'm getting an i3 and plan on retiring one of my other BMW's (either the Z4 or the 135). In the end, I decided to retire the 135. Even though the 135 is a rocket and I absolutely love driving it, I enjoy the Z4 even more!

I don't see a lot of them out here in North Carolina either. Which does make the car that much sweeter. I have never owned a BMW but I was always intrigued with the z4. So I'm happy to finally have. I use every excuse to drive my car other than to work which is all but 6 miles.
Post Pix when you get a chance.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by mylosix; 04-16-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Car poor

Send a message via Yahoo to airboss1998
Mein Auto: 2006 X3, 2009 Z4
I did buy a 2009 Z4 3.0 last week, found it in Charlotte. Beautiful car, although I discovered a couple of the wheels have some curb rash. Left Charlotte and headed for the Tail of the Dragon, then home.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto:
I live in SE Michigan and see very few around town, which I love. My car is de-badged, which adds to the mystique. People even dared to ask me what car was that.

I must say that the hard top is a major improvement over the soft top. I drove a friends '06 soft top with the same 3.0L NA engine and noticed no difference in acceleration. Yes his car felt lighter on curves, but both front and rear, so it is obviously not only the hard top to blame. Also, my car rides much more comfortable and it feels much supple in all conditions. It's a different car and my car yet is very agile and light. It's just a different car.

If you live in warm weather, you will drive this car every day of the year. It's a delight to drive it!

Leo-RochesterMI
2010 30ixDrive Black/Black
Old 05-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: Z4, M3 & X5
I myself have owned four Z3s and one E89 (and countless other convertibles and roadsters). I absolutely love the Z3 and always will, it is phenomenal and I can never resist staring at them when I see them on the road. I feel basically the same about my E89. It looks evil, handles far better then the Z3 and the feel and sound while driving makes you feel as though you are piloting a massive exotic super car. I really can't say anything negative about the Z4 and everyone who sees it or rides in it falls in-love. My Mom is chomping at the bit for me to get rid of mine so she can sell her Z3 and buy my Z4. You can't go wrong with any of them (just get a manual transmission).

09' Z4, Sapphire Black
01' X5, Titanium Silver
99' M3, Cosmos Black
81' DeLorean, Stainless
Mercedes Silver Arrow SL