Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-29-2014, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i
Thumbs down Missing my manual...

I've had my 2010 328i coupe for about 18 months and love everything about it with the exception of it not having a manual transmission - I came from a 2010 GTI 6 MT and made the switch because my commute had changed and I was spending a fair amount of time in stop and go congestion. Anyway, I'm considering moving to a 6 MT Mazdaspeed3 or Focus ST to get back to a manual and turbo. Also, maybe I'm paying too much attention to the maintenance horror stories in this forum, although my car is a CPO and has another 50K miles of warranty and a maintenance plan for the same duration, and that's coloring my thinking, as well. The truth is the GTI put a daily smile on my face and the 328i doesn't. Am I overreacting?
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Perhaps you are overreacting but only you can determine what you find enjoyable. My 335i is an AT and I don't miss having an MT at all (although I do get to drive a variety of MT cars). On the other hand I drove MTs in NYC rush hour traffic for years and did not have an issue with it.

Bottom line, do what makes you happy.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 03-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowHouse View Post
I've had my 2010 328i coupe for about 18 months and love everything about it with the exception of it not having a manual transmission - I came from a 2010 GTI 6 MT and made the switch because my commute had changed and I was spending a fair amount of time in stop and go congestion. Anyway, I'm considering moving to a 6 MT Mazdaspeed3 or Focus ST to get back to a manual and turbo. Also, maybe I'm paying too much attention to the maintenance horror stories in this forum, although my car is a CPO and has another 50K miles of warranty and a maintenance plan for the same duration, and that's coloring my thinking, as well. The truth is the GTI put a daily smile on my face and the 328i doesn't. Am I overreacting?

Under-reacting. Level 10, please.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54

Oh. Oops! Yes, manual's best for 328i.

But much more fun can be had than w/nose heavy GTI with these simple mods. Did I say "much more" fun? Make that exponentially more, and then some!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 320i ZSP, 8AT, BMS Stage1
Get an e90 328i coupe. Fun car. I too had the 6 speed GTI and I miss it as well but it wasn't a Bimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunk99 View Post
You drive a 320 so pretty sure you have nothing of value to contribute.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
The truth is the GTI put a daily smile on my face and the 328i doesn't. Am I overreacting?
I suspect there might be more than just AT in the play here. See the car in my signature picture? Well, I refused to daily drive it from its first day in U.S. (for my own reasons). My wife lasted 3 years and then gave up driving that as a daily driver (for her own, different reasons). We did it for different reasons, but the fact is that we are both much happier to daily drive VW diesels than BMW in U.S.

So, I perfectly understand why 3,000 lb weight is a lot more smile-inducing than 3,600 lb - especially so when hp difference is negligible as in your case. Turbo just sweetens the cake because it is so much more usable in daily driving.

I cannot judge (and will not judge) other people's choices, but I've been saying this for a long time ... BMWs in general are just wrong cars to be driven and enjoyed in this country - and that's not, let me repeat that ... that is NOT BMW's fault.

EDIT: sorry, forgot ... I also happen to think that Golf GTI is borderline un-driveable and hard to enjoy in this country. It is too fast, too nimble and too damn fun to drive it in traffic with other "drivers". My coworker has one and we swap cars sometime just for fun (both BMW and TDI).

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 03-30-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech & Car Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive
I know how you're feeling. I missing rowing my own gears too with my RSX. It feels like my right hand should be doing something more than just holding the steering wheel, putting it into P, R, or D. For me I'm going to give it a year and see if I still want a manual then.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
I completely feel and understand your frustration. I dont think you're overreacting at all. If it bothers you that much, i would trade it in for a manual 328xi.

I went from driving an auto in America (after selling my 5MT E46) to a 1.6l 4cyl 5spd car in a foreign 3rd-worldesque country... the car has very little power, doesnt handle at all, doesnt have decent brakes, no creature comforts, but damn its a blast to drive!!! I've had this car for a year now and I've determined that it's only because it's manual. It makes it just that much more fun to drive.

I'm moving back to the States in less than 1 month, and I'm dreading getting back to an auto, even though it has heated seats, excellent handling, 3x more power, and etc etc.
I'm actually debating on settling for a 328xi 6MT (did it even come in manual? I hate it when some AWD BMWs arent offered in manual). It's so much harder to find an xDrive BMW with 6MT
Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
MT is much more enjoyable to drive than AT. It just is. N4S
Old 03-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
My E90 is a 328i with a 6-speed manual. I have also driven similar loaner cars with the automatic transmission. For me, the MT defines the car, and makes it much more fun to drive than an equivalent AT car. YMMV.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Jet blk 328xi MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
My E90 is a 328i with a 6-speed manual. I have also driven similar loaner cars with the automatic transmission. For me, the MT defines the car, and makes it much more fun to drive than an equivalent AT car. YMMV.

My sentiments exactly!!! MT or the highway....hoping BMW hears that. We need more MT in the lineup of 3 series.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Agree... Sold my e92 for a golf r and loves every bit of the R
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 03-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Am I overreacting?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
My E90 is a 328i with a 6-speed manual. I have also driven similar loaner cars with the automatic transmission. For me, the MT defines the car, and makes it much more fun to drive than an equivalent AT car.
I've driven too many AT/non-ZSP BMW loaners and they really don't do anything for me. I'd drive a Honda Civic with a manual transmission long before I'd buy a BMW with an automatic.

2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Every time I drive the 328i with AT as a loaner I'm a bit sad. The transmission really is pitiful in D mode, though in DS mode it does shift for the most part right where I shift in regular traffic. The problem is that putting it permanently in DS mode prevents the car from going into 6th gear on the highway at an acceptable time. So in short, DS mode is fine around town but if you drive city plus highway, DS mode is also not the answer. Manually shifting is not particularly satisfying due to the high delay in up and downshift though I guess you might be able to time it with practice.

I hear the 335i's ZF is programmed a bit better than the 328i, or perhaps the 335i just has enough torque to help defeat the ATs programming towards fuel conservation, but I know I would not be satisfied with a 328i AT for very long; its temper is way too docile. Add to that the "dead space" in the pedal from a stand-still and I'm not interested in dropping money om the car. I'd venture to say a VW GTI is a much more engaging drive with 3 pedals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 03-31-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Am I overreacting?
No.

While an automatic transmission 328i is a fine automobile, with out the manual transmission (in my opinion) it lacks the essential ingredients that make it an engaging driver's car.

I was looking for a car for my wife and she (at that time) couldn't drive a manual transmission. So I test drove several AT E90's and liked them but didn't feel that they were particularly exciting to drive. Then I got in a 6spd manual and it changed the character of the car.

I bought a 6 speed manual car over my wife's objections. She was pissed off for two weeks and never did warm to swapping her own cogs, so I kept the Bimmer for myself and bought her an automatic transmission equipped Corolla.

I can tell you that there are few cars that can match the precision and feel of a BMW 3 series manual transmission shifter and clutch.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 320i ZSP, 8AT, BMS Stage1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Every time I drive the 328i with AT as a loaner I'm a bit sad. The transmission really is pitiful in D mode, though in DS mode it does shift for the most part right where I shift in regular traffic. The problem is that putting it permanently in DS mode prevents the car from going into 6th gear on the highway at an acceptable time. So in short, DS mode is fine around town but if you drive city plus highway, DS mode is also not the answer. Manually shifting is not particularly satisfying due to the high delay in up and downshift though I guess you might be able to time it with practice.

I hear the 335i's ZF is programmed a bit better than the 328i, or perhaps the 335i just has enough torque to help defeat the ATs programming towards fuel conservation, but I know I would not be satisfied with a 328i AT for very long; its temper is way too docile. Add to that the "dead space" in the pedal from a stand-still and I'm not interested in dropping money om the car. I'd venture to say a VW GTI is a much more engaging drive with 3 pedals!
I have the 8 speed and its the best transmission I've ever experienced in any car, ever. I prefer it to the DSG because it's smoother. I drove manuals since I was 15 and I'm 36 and out of the 12 or so cars I've owned, this is the 2nd auto. I love manual when the conditions are right but I just began to find it tedious in many real world driving situations. Maybe if I lived in a rural area or something, but I don't. The 6 speed in my GTI was alright but modern manual transmissions bum me out. It had pronounced rev hang which is totally annoying and pretty bad in 1st and 2nd gears, giving you a little lurch often no matter how long you have been driving standard. Torque arm insert helped the problem a little but thats also due to drive train slop/engine movement. Long clutch travel and really soft clutch.. I honestly preferred the feel of my 86 Accord 5 speed to the GTI. My wife's 5 speed in her Pontiac Vibe was a better gearbox as well. I would describe the GTI 6 speed as mushy and vague. But it was fun sometimes. On the other hand, I find the 8 speed to first off, be a massive a improvement over the 6 speed auto in the e90 so I can't blame OP for being kind of bummed on it. I still have a lot of fun with my car w/the 8 speed and I rarely miss manual. If I got a second car, a weekend car or whatever, it would be manual but for a daily driver in Los Angeles... I'm just over it. The 8 speed auto makes maximum use of the engine's powerband while the 6 speed auto definitely has a more traditional automatic feel with slower shifts, slower torque converter lockup etc. The 8 speed shifts in under 500 milliseconds I think. But yes, for driver engagement there is no comparison to manual but unfortunately, when I am stuck on Wilshire blvd. heading home at 7pm and its taking me 40 minutes to go 3 miles, 'driver engagement' = pure annoyance.

All that said, the E90 328i coupe with a 6 speed is one of my all time favorite cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunk99 View Post
You drive a 320 so pretty sure you have nothing of value to contribute.

Last edited by Kafkaesque320; 03-31-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
To be honest, Kafkaesque320, I am much more annoyed in heavy traffic with a auto where the car just free rolls at all times and you are constantly going between throttle and brake and can't gracefully lift for minor slow-downs. I drive Dallas traffic every day and have no real annoyance with the manual, but preferences are different.

I do agree with you that the 8-speed on the 328i F30s I've driven is a vast improvement over the 6-speed on the E90. The mode selection also works much better and yields better results than going between D and DS mode on the E90. That being said, I'd still buy an F30 with 3-pedals if I ordered one today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY