Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
run flat opinions

hey there! so im new to the bmw world. i am much enjoying it, except for these run flat tires. ive not yet driven them in the snow but am not impressed with them in the rain. any comments as to how they perform? im used to new england winters and if consensus says they are tolerable in such conditions, i will hold on to them - as seeing i have already paid for a tire warranty program. comments? opinions? many thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I hated the Bridgestones on my 2007 335 and replaced them when the car was a few weeks old. I hated them so much if I had not been able to improve the situation by getting rid of the RFTs I would have gotten rid of the car.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 03-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Your issue is actually [all-season rubber formulation and tread design and tread width] vs. [winter rubber formulation and tread design and tread width]
Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlybird View Post
hey there! so im new to the bmw world. i am much enjoying it, except for these run flat tires. ive not yet driven them in the snow but am not impressed with them in the rain. any comments as to how they perform? im used to new england winters and if consensus says they are tolerable in such conditions, i will hold on to them - as seeing i have already paid for a tire warranty program. comments? opinions? many thanks in advance!

Yet another xi thread....like a swarm of Los Angeles quakes, got nuthin' but xi lately....

Oh, RFT's. Deep six 'em ASAP. Michelin PSS the replacement o'choice.

Ummmmm. Do the letters FSD have meaning to you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Puzzled [03].jpg
Views:	80
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	430942
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
no, i cant say fsd means anything to me. should it? im also new to trying to understand how cars work as opposed to just getting in and driving off.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlybird View Post
no, i cant say fsd means anything to me. should it? im also new to trying to understand how cars work as opposed to just getting in and driving off.

You betcha! Cures many ills.

Get 'em HERE
Old 03-30-2014, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Do not like RFT. I want a regular tire for long distant drives. I remember once I was on a road in Arizona and it said no Services (no nothing) for the next 100 miles. I hate to be on that road without a regular spare. I had to be at least 200 miles away from a RFT dealer, and if the RFT had a major hole in it, I would be stuck---in the desert without any means of repair. At best, maybe 2 hours for a local tow truck to come, and what could they do since they are not RFT dealers.
I would NEVER drive a car with RFT for this reason alone--and there are many more reasons. And even if you are not driving in Arizona, but driving the interstate late at night, a MAJOR hole in the tire (more than just a thin nail) and you are stuck. Imagine being 50 miles from a tire dealer at 12 mid-night.

Last edited by jayb328i; 03-30-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Map 5, 38 degrees! yes!!

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
3 weeks ago I switched to Michelin PSS, best thing I could've done. Ride is now much smoother, quieter and performance/handling is vastly improved. It was a win-win. I bought the Conti Comfort kit for the trunk, for those situations when needed.

2009 E92 N54 Black Sapphire, Cream Beige Dakota, ZPP, ZSP,2R4,Steptronic, JB4 G5 ISO, DCI
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Yet another xi thread....like a swarm of Los Angeles quakes, got nuthin' but xi lately....

Oh, RFT's. Deep six 'em ASAP. Michelin PSS the replacement o'choice.

Ummmmm. Do the letters FSD have meaning to you?

Attachment 430942
No, the search function here is broken, it must be. Google, Bing, Yahoo etc. work just fine to bring people to the site, but once here, something happens, and our search function becomes lost like a tear in rain.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
No, the search function here is broken, it must be. Google, Bing, Yahoo etc. work just fine to bring people to the site, but once here, something happens, and our search function becomes lost like a tear in rain.

KAT! Please fix!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xdrive coupe
I actually had to get new tires and ultimately stuck with RFTs due to the travel I have and how I can't risk getting a flat tire and not get to work when I need to get to work. So for that reason I still have RFTs. I replaced the stocks with bridgestone potenzas for my 335 and I think they are much much better than the stock turanzas that came with the car. the potenzas are softer and don't feel as harsh. I like them. Are they softer and better riding with Non RFT? sure..but I have to make a tradeoff. Not having space for a spare is basically one of the very few downsides of my 335 in my mind.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:44 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
I just had a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP (run-flats) put on my d this weekend and I can honestly say they are great so far. I have been going back and forth for a while on whether or not to make the switch away from the run-flats but the sale on these tires at Tire rack put me over the edge. Had I gone with go-flats I would have always had the feeling that the gods would curse me with flat after flat - tempting fate. Now I am coming from my winter set so that along with the fact that I have less than 50 miles on them so far has me optimistic. However, I can say that these tires are as smooth as butter. Plus, I also can say that the traction control is not butting in nearly as often as with the stock conti-pro SSRs that they replaced. I didn't even need to punch it much for the nanny to slow me down before, and so far, it has been clean.

Give me a couple hundred miles and if you are curious I'll let you know how they are holding up.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oogasboogas View Post
I actually had to get new tires and ultimately stuck with RFTs due to the travel I have and how I can't risk getting a flat tire and not get to work when I need to get to work. So for that reason I still have RFTs. I replaced the stocks with bridgestone potenzas for my 335 and I think they are much much better than the stock turanzas that came with the car. the potenzas are softer and don't feel as harsh. I like them. Are they softer and better riding with Non RFT? sure..but I have to make a tradeoff. Not having space for a spare is basically one of the very few downsides of my 335 in my mind.
Bridgestone 'Turanza' are an outdated model far surpassed by Bridgestone's "3rd Gen" Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position RF. Believe it or not there are steady advancements to RF tire technology (although I haven't seen any new technology from Michelin, Conti).

Although I'm convinced that the insolent attitude of BMW regarding 100% RF tire OE fitments (vs. it being an option) has considerably hurt their image and reputation with owners, there are some owners like you who prefer them. You are in the minority according to numerous threads, posts in here.

Wife...with children driving the car?

Yes...I would prefer them to be on RF tires rather than be sitting on the side of the road with a disabled vehicle, nevertheless there is always that bothersome "50 MPH, 50 mile" limit. This DOESN'T work on L.A. freeways.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 03-31-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by oogasboogas View Post
You are right, 335i has very few downsides. However, those that it does have are big. The biggest one being lack of spare tire and lack of space for a spare tire. That was one big reason to disqualify it as a proper car to reliably get from A to B when you need to. Unfortunately, on our local roads, RFT made the car nearly undriveable, so they had to go. Which made the car useless for anything but fooling around (I have space-saver spare tire).

All of this and I still keep it. Not for much longer, granted, but it is a very good toy. Too bad for BMW that there are quite a few better toys out there.

Regardless of how many complaints go to BMW, the number of people who are added to the list of BMW customers is quite a bit larger than those that are quitting BMW ownership ... so RFT are here to stay. I just keep not understanding why choice cannot be given to the customer. Make a space for a spare and let customers decide what tires they want to use and whether they want/need a spare or not. Chevy SS has maybe two options on the list - one of them is full size spare tire @ $500. If Aussies can do it, I'm pretty sure Germans can, too.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
I would prefer all of my cars have runflats. In the last 4 years I have had plenty of flats, about 10. (debrit on the roads by me is rediculous since they don't clean up after accidents) My last flat was on my Chevy in the middle of a snow storm, 10 degrees, on a busy highway a couple months back. Changing that sucked donkey balls with no gloves, the car was so iced up that I couldn't use the jack untill I beat the ice off the car. No way would my wife or daughter do it. With the right ones they are fine. I have repaired many punctured runf flats. My PS2 ZP's were great compared to the bridgstone run flats. I now have PSS tires for my new wheels and will miss the run flats. As for the Chevy SS having an optional spare and a place for it, that cars chasis is almost 15 years old now and built completely different than BMW's structure.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 04-01-2014, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I run 2 wheel setups.

My summer setup is a non-RFT square, 19" wheel setup with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Great tires. Quiet. Grip very well. They wear a bit faster but I can't complain because they perform so well.

My winter setup is OEM 17" wheels with OEM Conti Contact Pro RFTs. They perform well but nothing like the PSS. They are quiet, have good wear, and good dry, wet, snow performance.

I don't mind the RFTs on my 17" wheels. The ride isn't that bad, but there is also a decent amount of sidewall. If I had RFTs on any wheel larger than 17", I think I would hate it. The ride of the 19"s with non-RFTs is comparable to the 17"s with RFTs. But I do notice a better ride with my summer setup mounted....even though it is a larger wheel setup with a smaller sidewall.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I would prefer all of my cars have runflats. In the last 4 years I have had plenty of flats, about 10. (debrit on the roads by me is rediculous since they don't clean up after accidents) My last flat was on my Chevy in the middle of a snow storm, 10 degrees, on a busy highway a couple months back. Changing that sucked donkey balls with no gloves, the car was so iced up that I couldn't use the jack untill I beat the ice off the car. No way would my wife or daughter do it. With the right ones they are fine. I have repaired many punctured runf flats. My PS2 ZP's were great compared to the bridgstone run flats. I now have PSS tires for my new wheels and will miss the run flats. As for the Chevy SS having an optional spare and a place for it, that cars chasis is almost 15 years old now and built completely different than BMW's structure.
Dave, I understand what you are saying. I carry a portable air compression which I use if needed to get me to the repair facility. But knowing I CAN if needed, change the tire if it is so bad due to road objects damaging the tire, I will NOT accept having no spare in the trunk.
I ask you the question---how would you feel driving through the night on a long trip, knowing that if you got a major blow-out, hunk of metal into the tire, and it went flat, and it is around mid-night or 2 in the morning, with no RFT dealers around, or ANY tire dealers. You would be stuck right there, helpless. At least I could either use my air compressor if minor, or if needed change the tire. Even if I did not want to change it--ANY tow truck called at 2 in the morning would be able to change it since I have a spare in the trunk. Secondly, I have been on roads where there is NO services for over 100 miles, and probably another 100 miles to the closest RFT dealer. How would you feel not having a spare in the trunk. For me the answer is easy--but I am cautious and do not like to take unnecessary risks. Luckily, in the last 5 years I have only had 3 flats, all in the same year on 2 different cars, and all inflatable by use of the portable air compressor.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
What little marketing was done on RFT's

What little marketing was done on RFT's
Did a good job of hiding there downsides.
I can remember Pat Goss on motor week extolling there
virtues.
I think a lot of people came up surprised they even had
them an trusted that BMW would always do the right
thing . It seem to me since the e46 they have been more
willing to use the customers as guinea pigs in there
experiments for new concepts.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Runflats=
They make the car ride and handle worse, wear out faster, are next to impossible to find if you need to replace one quickly but they are much more expensive than go flats. They are a loose loose for everyone except BMW. N4S
Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
Runflats=
They make the car ride and handle worse, wear out faster, are next to impossible to find if you need to replace one quickly but they are much more expensive than go flats. They are a loose loose for everyone except BMW. N4S
The ride depends on the brand. They do not handle worse compared to the exact same tire in a non-runflat, They wear quicker since many of them start with less tread but the wear rate is the same.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 04-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
The ride depends on the brand. They do not handle worse compared to the exact same tire in a non-runflat, They wear quicker since many of them start with less tread but the wear rate is the same.

I have never seen a comparison of the exact same tire model in both RFT and non-RFT configurations but my gut feeling is that the non RFT will perform better.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 04-02-2014, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I have never seen a comparison of the exact same tire model in both RFT and non-RFT configurations but my gut feeling is that the non RFT will perform better.

Now that Corvette 7 was released with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires that comparison with normal PSS tire, if not already available at Tirerack, will be in weeks. Maybe less.

And my gut feeling (and slip angle chart) says the same

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
This is the exact reason why I elected to go with RFT for my winter setup. I went with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25's on a non-staggered 17 setup. Tires handle decently (for snow tires), and have surprisingly good grip. However, they wore out very fast - the rears only lasted 1 Winter. My former car was a 325 coupe, and I'd always get 4-5 years out of the Winter tires. So I'd rotate the tires every year. Guess the 335 might be a bit different..

Below 40 degree's the Blizzaks ride quality would diminish rapidly. As we all know, this last Winter was a cold one...and when the temps got to the single digits, the tires felt like they were made out of stone, even with the softer Winter compound. So I'm not sure I will go with RFT's on the next set. Also, in terms of snow traction - Dunlops or Michelins are much better...
Old 04-06-2014, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto:
How about some Michelin pilot on a 335xi? Have rft now with 19k miles any suggestions ?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I run PSSs in my xi. Love them

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |