Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-30-2014, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: currently not a bmw
wife is in the market for a salvage 328

Hello all, so for the last week or so my wife has been on a mission to impulse buy a 328 at around $15K which is salvage title range for a late model. I'm not on board with this but I'm now doing my due diligence to atleast help her choose the right car because she is dead set on this. Almost all the searching is done on craigslist where sellers are swearing up and down that their cars were involved in minor accidents that didnt cause structural damage.
A particular car she wants to see tomorrow is claimed to have only been side swiped. I'm not a bmw expert but I dont see how its possible for a late model bmw in California to be salvaged if the accidents are as small as these sellers make them out to be. And apparently almost none of them have proof of repairs available on these cars. Does this sound fishy to anyone?
Also assuming my wife is still dead set on finding a late model 328 one way or the other which will most likely be a salvage title, any general suggestions or tips? thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2014, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Usually when the repair is extremely expensive, it just gets totaled. If you can find a shop that will do it for less than the insurance estimate than you may do OK. It's risky....

Check our these sites

http://www.copart.com, craigslist and eBay.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well I would spend the money to have pro look at the car, if its water damaged then walk away if it has been salt water damaged run away, you will spend more money trying to keep it going than what you would spend just laying out the cash for a top notch used car

remember SANDY, those cars end up everywhere
Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
I looked at one of these but couldn't get the price right.

Pictures of the damage before and after repair are essential. Name and repair bill from shop doing the work too.

I figured about 25% less than comparable price since the car will carry that salvage title forever.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 03-30-2014, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaxes View Post
Hello all, so for the last week or so my wife has been on a mission to impulse buy a 328 at around $15K which is salvage title range for a late model. I'm not on board with this but I'm now doing my due diligence to atleast help her choose the right car because she is dead set on this. Almost all the searching is done on craigslist where sellers are swearing up and down that their cars were involved in minor accidents that didnt cause structural damage.
A particular car she wants to see tomorrow is claimed to have only been side swiped. I'm not a bmw expert but I dont see how its possible for a late model bmw in California to be salvaged if the accidents are as small as these sellers make them out to be. And apparently almost none of them have proof of repairs available on these cars. Does this sound fishy to anyone?
Also assuming my wife is still dead set on finding a late model 328 one way or the other which will most likely be a salvage title, any general suggestions or tips? thanks

You're probably over-reacting.

See, used car sellers, especially purveyors of distressed merchandise, are always right and they never lie. But for peace o'mind, evaluate with an experienced third party.

Ummmmm....your wife has mech skills?
Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 AM
VELOZV

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335I STICK SHIFT
where in California

I bought a salvage title and have been buying them for a long time.
If you need help I'm in Sacramento area.
This is my salvage title e-mail me at riviera69@sbcglobal.net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw 2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	430984  

Last edited by riviera1969; 03-30-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Instead of buying a salvage E90, how about buying a really nice E46? A lot are available in that price range (and less). Yes, I realize this is the E90 forum, but........

Last edited by alpinweiss; 03-30-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
The actual reason for salvage is critical!
  • Run past any flood victim, whether fresh or salt water, but particularly salt water
  • Sometimes cars are totalled even though the damage does not put the chassis or drivetrain in peril...truly 'cosmetics' but too expensive vs. the actual value of the car.

But unless records with photos can prove the condition of the car when totalled, you are at the mercy of the seller.
I have purchased a salvage car from a body shop whose owner was very forthcoming, and gave it to our teen daughter as her first car. And later, when my wife's car was totalled, we purchased the car from the insurance company and had the same body shop fix it up -- but we knew precisely the nature of the damage when totalled. In that same body shop I have seen early in-progress work on very late model cars which had been totalled even though the damage did not put the chassis or drivetrain in peril...truly 'cosmetics' but too expensive vs. the actual value of the car.

Last edited by wilt; 03-30-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive
My thoughts

The problem that I've seen with salvage title cars is that too many people have an unrealistic expectation of what their salvage title cars are worth. I saw a listing for a car in Arkansas where the asking price was what it should have been AFTER the car was repaired and it still had about $5000 worth of body damage that needed to be done.

As others have said, avoid anything to do with water. Bimmers are buggy enough with their electronics without adding moisture into the equation. I think the biggest question that you need to ask yourself is if a BMW is really the right car to buy. If price of the car is an issue, do you possess the mechanical ability (and the desire) to deal with the issues that will undoubtedly arise? My dad really wants a BMW but I've told him that he'd be crazy to do it because of the potential for issues that he is no longer able to deal with.

Look for Bavarian Otto's ultimate maintenance schedule and price out how much it takes to keep up with it. I looked at a 2008 BMW 328xi that had $1500 worth of maintenance due on it if I took it to a dealer. That maintenance schedule is probably more conservative than you have to follow, but it's a good guide to make sure that you are mentally prepared to own a BMW.

Last edited by Flatland328; 03-30-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: changed text
Old 03-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
well I would spend the money to have pro look at the car, if its water damaged then walk away if it has been salt water damaged run away, you will spend more money trying to keep it going than what you would spend just laying out the cash for a top notch used car

remember SANDY, those cars end up everywhere
The Hurricane Katrina cars kept showing up at auctions in all parts of the country for several years. Many were re-titled in various states. A lot of them were finally exported, and sold to unsuspecting buyers in South America and elsewhere. The handling of these cars was a national disgrace.

Did we do better with the Hurricane Sandy cars? It would seem not much better. They kept appearing in various parts of the country, waiting for unsuspecting buyers.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
getting financing a on a car with a branded title can be difficult. for about 5 or 6k more you can find a 11 or so still under warr. also, you never know what issues may pop up down the road due to the event that caused the total loss.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
May I suggest buying an older non-salvaged vehicle?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
I'm not a bmw expert but I dont see how its possible for a late model bmw in California to be salvaged if the accidents are as small as these sellers make them out to be. And apparently almost none of them have proof of repairs available on these cars. Does this sound fishy to anyone?

Hi audioaxes,

Last year I bought a 2006 325i (basically the 2006 version of the 328i) for less than half of the retail price. I bought it from a dealer that buys them from the insurance company, or at auction, and then just resells them, with out fixing them at all, for a profit.

My car had been bashed by a tree branch during a thunderstorm, and besides the metal and sun roof damage had some water get in through the broken out sunroof.

The insurance company didn't want to mess with the possible problems from the water getting in and totaled the car. The former owner and I were both shocked that they just wrote this car off, but they did.

Before I bought the car I talked to the previous owner and checked the car out. Besides one 30 cent fuse I have had no problems with the car in one year and 6,000 miles, outside of the broken out sunroof and minimal body damage.

Now maybe I was lucky, but I think there are deals out there if you are willing to do your "due diligence". Also I am a very experienced hobbyist mechanic and I have several other cars in case one goes down.

I would be very careful to fully research any car before you buy it and if you are not mechanically inclined I would advise you to stay away from a salvage tilted BMW, or any other modern automobile.

If you can't fix things yourself, or are depending on that car as a daily driver, you are asking for an expensive lesson of the "if it sounds to good to be true, then it is" variety.

Last edited by BashedBarrique; 03-30-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 PM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
A common repair scheme with salvage cars is to not replace the airbags (or replace them with a non-working alternative) when completing the repair, thus saving lots of money. Electronics are bypassed or connected so the car doesn't trip an SRS light. You'll never know it until you need it.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
A particular car she wants to see tomorrow is claimed to have only been side swiped.
I'm not a bmw expert but I dont see how its possible for a late model bmw in California to be salvaged if the accidents are as small as these sellers make them out to be. And apparently almost none of them have proof of repairs available on these cars. Does this sound fishy to anyone?

Get ready to lose a lot of money....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Hi audioaxes,

Last year I bought a 2006 325i (basically the 2006 version of the 328i) for less than half of the retail price. I bought it from a dealer that buys them from the insurance company, or at auction, and then just resells them, with out fixing them at all, for a profit.

My car had been bashed by a tree branch during a thunderstorm, and besides the metal and sun roof damage had some water get in through the broken out sunroof.

The insurance company didn't want to mess with the possible problems from the water getting in and totaled the car. The former owner and I were both shocked that they just wrote this car off, but they did.

Before I bought the car I talked to the previous owner and checked the car out. Besides one 30 cent fuse I have had no problems with the car in one year and 6,000 miles, outside of the broken out sunroof and minimal body damage.

Now maybe I was lucky, but I think there are deals out there if you are willing to do your "due diligence". Also I am a very experienced hobbyist mechanic and I have several other cars in case one goes down.

I would be very careful to fully research any car before you buy it and if you are not mechanically inclined I would advise you to stay away from a salvage tilted BMW, or any other modern automobile.

If you can't fix things yourself, or are depending on that car as a daily driver, you are asking for an expensive lesson of the "if it sounds to good to be true, then it is" variety.

....unless your wife has this kind of savvy, which your post indicates she does not.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 03-31-2014, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
What's the value of my car as is?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=742937
Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
There are so many "good" 328's out there. Do not buy a salvage title vehicle. My 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
I just don't understand buying a salvage car? They are money pits.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i coupe
Unless you are a proficient mechanic and talk them way down from their asking price, buying a salvage title car is a sucker's bet.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
one other thing, buy a good car, no salvaged one, it will put less stress on your marriage in the long run
Old 04-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
And last but not least, manufactures are not required to perform any recalls, including government-mandated safety recalls, on salvage title vehicles.