Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 AM
ha897 ha897 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: '07 335i
Question What mods to add to an e92 335 '07 to make it sportier/faster/more aggresive?

Hi,
I'm about to buy a 335, and I need some help deciding how to mod it.
The first thing I want to do is scrape the 335 emblem off. I just think it looks alot cleaner without it. I'm going to have it profesionally done of course. Any idea how much this would cost?
The next thing is to change the automatic shifter. To me, it just looks ugly and I want to have a different looking one, maybe one that looks typical of an automatic shifter, but a little bit more sportier, or more classier, if you get what I mean. Is there a good place to pick out one of these?
Also, I want to change the xenon headlights so that they're brighter. I'm not sure what the name is or how to do it, but I see it on the street alot where there are cars with such white lights that they become blue. Any idea what this is, and how mcuh this would cost?
Now in terms of speed, I know that the JuiceBox is the best immediate addition. Apart from that, what else should I add? It already has an oil cooler installed (OEM factory). A detailed explanation of all of this would really be appreciated, or maybe a point in the right direction of what's what. I would like to learn more about this stuff, but I have no idea where to start.
Let me blunt. The rims ruin the look of the car. The rims are original, and I really want to change them into something sporty. Any idea what to get? I'm not trying to spend too much.
Last, how much would it cost to change the interior trim to black instead of the dark wood?
And also any other modifications to make the car more sporty/night time look?

Thanks alot to anyone who can help me out atleast one or two of these.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-31-2014, 12:43 AM
tmdals0213 tmdals0213 is offline
Registered User
Location: amazon.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: E93 335is 2013
welcome to the forum if you are new, i assume.

use a hair dryer or heat gun to take off the emblems, and then use goo gone to remove residue.

lighter the wheels the "better" but also equals more money. people have different taste so just browse around..

and most important, there's a search bar you might want to use
__________________


"Honesty is a very expensive gift, don't expect it from cheap people. - Warren Buffett
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2014, 03:34 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ha897 View Post
I'm about to buy a 335, and I need some help deciding how to mod it.

Taking "335i" off costs maybe $0.25 - dental floss. Then cleanup.

Don't worry about cosmetics - that's your feminine side. Manly mods HERE yield silky goodness.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2014, 03:59 AM
Mark K's Avatar
Mark K Mark K is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cincinnati, OH
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,015
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ha897 View Post
Now in terms of speed, I know that the JuiceBox is the best immediate addition. Apart from that, what else should I add?
Depends where you need the speed. It's something similar to Collin Chapman's view of going fast. He said that adding hosepower will make you fast in a straight line while adding lightness will make you fast everywhere.

In most cases of people on this forum, myself included, adding horsepower will (maybe, if nannies work properly) make us faster in a straight line while learning how to drive would make us faster everywhere.



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

_____________________________________________

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-31-2014, 04:07 AM
Shakeydeal's Avatar
Shakeydeal Shakeydeal is offline
This space for rent
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 134
Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Quote:
I'm not trying to spend too much.

How much is "too much"? You don't mention a budget. With the exception of the debadging, nothing is going to be cheap. Then again, that is a relative term that might mean something totally different to you than it does to me.

Shakey
__________________
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you get older, it will avoid you. - Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 AM
jeanlucdckhard jeanlucdckhard is offline
Registered User
Location: Germany
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 93
Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeydeal View Post
How much is "too much"? You don't mention a budget. With the exception of the debadging, nothing is going to be cheap. Then again, that is a relative term that might mean something totally different to you than it does to me.

Shakey

Here here. Some of us are just starting out in the Bimmer fan world, right now i'm just happy to be able to have such a nice car and am not bored of it yet, so why mod.

My 2 cents.. cheap mod that makes a big difference sound wise is the BMS intake. I love mine, I can actually hear the turbo with it on.
__________________
'11 335i E92 / M-Sport / Comfort Access / Premium Pkg / Navi / 19" Style 313 Rims ( 335is wannabe )
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-31-2014, 05:19 PM
riviera1969 riviera1969 is offline
VELOZV
Location: Sacramento California
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 167
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335I STICK SHIFT
Muffler delete

where do you leave also depends on MODS
I took off the mufflers and put straight pipe from cat back, in California.
Now if I could I would put on down pipes, but I need to smog every two years.
Also I did the COBB tuning and works great and you can do it yourself
Here is what it sounds like , turbos work better with free exhaust.



When is cold start it sounds like this


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 AM
ha897 ha897 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: '07 335i
Quote:
lighter the wheels the "better" but also equals more money. people have different taste so just browse around..
yeah i've been looking at local craigslist ads for some good rims. although i'd prefer lighter rims, what im mainly looking for in rims is aesthetics. i want a chrome look, that's clean, kind of like is rims. im trying to avoid paying more than 2k for them, and obviously looking for quality, even though I care more about looks than weight.
any ideas what i should be careful for, or look for? thanks.

Quote:
Taking "335i" off costs maybe $0.25 - dental floss. Then cleanup.

Don't worry about cosmetics - that's your feminine side. Manly mods HERE yield silky goodness.
I have no idea what the mods in that thread do. It's cool that you're in the SF area, I also live in the SF area. Do you have a shop?

Quote:
Depends where you need the speed. It's something similar to Collin Chapman's view of going fast. He said that adding hosepower will make you fast in a straight line while adding lightness will make you fast everywhere.

In most cases of people on this forum, myself included, adding horsepower will (maybe, if nannies work properly) make us faster in a straight line while learning how to drive would make us faster everywhere.
Yeah I completely get it. I'm not sure I can make it lighter, other than paying alot more for rims which I really can't pay that much for, and I already drive pretty "efficient" as it is. I'm just looking for some extra speed. This is something else I'm not sure I totally get. If I get speed, it won't change the handling right? If that's the case, then I want to upgrade the speed as much as I can. I'm going to be selling this car down the line for a newer one down the line though, so I'm not so sure that I would want to put all my money into it.

Quote:
How much is "too much"? You don't mention a budget. With the exception of the debadging, nothing is going to be cheap. Then again, that is a relative term that might mean something totally different to you than it does to me.

Shakey
I don't want to spend more than 2k for rims, and maybe 2-3k very max ceiling for mods. I don't care about sound as much as I do for pure speed and handling. The rims are mainly for aesthetics, but I prefer quality over anything, even money. I'm willing to spew out quite a bit more if something is much more reliable/better quality than the other.

Quote:
My 2 cents.. cheap mod that makes a big difference sound wise is the BMS intake. I love mine, I can actually hear the turbo with it on
.

Does this also change speed at all? I like sound, but I'd prefer speed over sound.

Quote:
where do you leave also depends on MODS
I took off the mufflers and put straight pipe from cat back, in California.
Now if I could I would put on down pipes, but I need to smog every two years.
Also I did the COBB tuning and works great and you can do it yourself
Here is what it sounds like , turbos work better with free exhaust.
Can you explain better what these are what they do? Do they just change sound?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
ha897 ha897 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: '07 335i
Also, what's the difference between a cold air intake and an engine oil cooler? The car has an OEM oil cooler installed. Should I still get a cold air intake, or at what point should I get one?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Watchme Watchme is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 369
Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ha897 View Post
Also, what's the difference between a cold air intake and an engine oil cooler? The car has an OEM oil cooler installed. Should I still get a cold air intake, or at what point should I get one?
Well let me ask you this, are you prepared to live your life 1/4 mile at a time?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 AM
ZAZ ZAZ is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: infiniti G35x
im new to the forum too, but not new to modding cars, which you clearly are, its a learning curve, and dont be afraid to try to do the simpler things yourself.

ive owned several high performance vehicles, and am about to purchase a 335i sedan in the near future, just because they are one of the best bang - for the buck cars out there, and relativley easy to get a big performance gain. ill try to address your questions.

as for wheels/tires, hopefully you are aware that not just any rim will fit on your car, the bolt pattern and back spacing have to be correct. since you are pretty new to all this, id reccomend going to www.tirerack.com and picking out something you like, and having a shop mount and balance them. they have a fitment guide thats pretty easy to use, so its hard to F it up.

a intake or what alot of ppl refer to for the 335 as a DCI (Dual Cone Intake) are the same thing, It just frees up the air entering the engine and at the same time is more efficient in that it allows for colder air to enter, which gives you more power. an intake will run you around $350-500. search online for them, for one for your specific year and model of 335. it will add about 10 hp. if you are totally mechanically incapable, have a shop install it for you. a intake has NOTHING to do with a oil cooler. an oil cooler is basically a small radiator that cools the oil.

for these cars, The best mod by far is a programmer. a juicebox is a good one, but for ease of use, id recoomend you look into the cobb tuner. much more user friendly and easier to use. they are around $780, and will add about 80 hp and 100lb ft of torque, and will turn your car into a totally difft. animal. for someone with your experience of mods and performance cars, id just stick to the intake and tuner for now. that will be more than enough. good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 PM
ashewb ashewb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: 328i
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO#Urban_legend
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:01 AM
ha897 ha897 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: '07 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAZ View Post
im new to the forum too, but not new to modding cars, which you clearly are, its a learning curve, and dont be afraid to try to do the simpler things yourself.

ive owned several high performance vehicles, and am about to purchase a 335i sedan in the near future, just because they are one of the best bang - for the buck cars out there, and relativley easy to get a big performance gain. ill try to address your questions.

as for wheels/tires, hopefully you are aware that not just any rim will fit on your car, the bolt pattern and back spacing have to be correct. since you are pretty new to all this, id reccomend going to www.tirerack.com and picking out something you like, and having a shop mount and balance them. they have a fitment guide thats pretty easy to use, so its hard to F it up.

a intake or what alot of ppl refer to for the 335 as a DCI (Dual Cone Intake) are the same thing, It just frees up the air entering the engine and at the same time is more efficient in that it allows for colder air to enter, which gives you more power. an intake will run you around $350-500. search online for them, for one for your specific year and model of 335. it will add about 10 hp. if you are totally mechanically incapable, have a shop install it for you. a intake has NOTHING to do with a oil cooler. an oil cooler is basically a small radiator that cools the oil.

for these cars, The best mod by far is a programmer. a juicebox is a good one, but for ease of use, id recoomend you look into the cobb tuner. much more user friendly and easier to use. they are around $780, and will add about 80 hp and 100lb ft of torque, and will turn your car into a totally difft. animal. for someone with your experience of mods and performance cars, id just stick to the intake and tuner for now. that will be more than enough. good luck.
Yeah a juicebox is a tuner that I've been looking into. Would you say a COBB tuner is better or the juicebox?
Thanks alot for the help. Also, do I need to have an intake before/at the same time as I get the tuner, or should it be fine without it?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-02-2014, 11:49 AM
yolome yolome is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 7
Mein Auto:
Try str-racing.com they have good replica rims.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-02-2014, 03:39 PM
ZBMAN ZBMAN is offline
Registered User
Location: WINCHESTER, KY
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: 328i XDrive 2009
M3>335>328>?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms