Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-31-2014, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Buying 335 used from KIA dealer

Hello,

Just last year I purchased a CPO 2008 335i from BMW directly. Unfortunately less than month ago in a snow storm my car skidded and was involved in an accident which resulted in a write off.

I'm looking at finding another 335 but am having a hard time. Everything CPO from BMW directly is too expensive for my budget at the moment. I can wait out to see if new stock comes in at a better price.

I found a 335 online from a KIA dealership and gave them a call. I asked if it was a trade in or what and the sales guy told me the KIA dealership bought it from one of their wholesalers. Should I avoid buying something at a KIA dealership that they bought from a wholesaler where the wholesaler probably bought from a BMW directly? I've heard BMW never lets go of a good car they have their hands on...

I do prefer buying from BMW directly, but if not I think buying from another car brand dealership is okay. I would never buy from "Joe's Fine Cars" though.

Last edited by ar2020; 03-31-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive
I had a similar concern with the car I bought a couple weeks ago. It is a 2011 with 8000 miles and 13 months left on the original factory warranty. I called up the local independent shop and the guy told me that if I liked the car, not to worry about it because BMW should cover any problems that came up. He told me to bring the car by his shop with about 1000 miles to go on the warranty and he would go through it and make sure that there were no issues that needed to be addressed by the dealership. FWIW, that same shop only charges $45 for a one hour pre-purchase inspection on BMW's to check for codes, leaks and other issues. They are hoping that when I need to have a major repair done, I pick them instead of the local BMW dealer.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Oil Burner

Mein Auto: 335D
I would have no problem with that as long as the car checked out, either by yourself if you know what you are doing, or take it to a pro as Flatland328 suggests.

There are alot of cars changing hands in the aftermarket making any generalizations thereof just about impossible.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
have the dealer send you the car fax and auto check, need to see both of them. then decide how to proceed. i bought my 328 from a non franchise dealer, they bought it at a bmw financial auction.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
The difference in buying CPO vs. [non-BMW dealer/BMW non-CPO] car:
BMW CPO warranty extends new car warranty to 6 years/100k miles vs. any remaining original warranty (if any left) up to 4 yr. 50k miles.
So CPO has more things covered under extended warranty than a non-CPO car.
Since older 335 is more trouble prone than newer models (not simply because of amount of miles, but inherently more problems with certain components in the older MYs), CPO coverage affords you with more protection from repair expense. As they say, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later, but you will certainly pay me eventually!"

Anything older than 2010MY is likely to be beyond original new car warranty. Not all cars (even 2011) would be CPO cars, even if sold by a BMW dealer...they have to pay fee and submit a car to inspection and meet CPO requirements for service, etc. before it can be sold as CPO. When I was looking at cars late last year, there were both CPO and non-CPO 2010's on the BMW dealer lot.

Last edited by wilt; 03-31-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar2020 View Post
Hello,

Just last year I purchased a CPO 2008 335i from BMW directly. Unfortunately less than month ago in a snow storm my car skidded and was involved in an accident which resulted in a write off.

I'm looking at finding another 335 but am having a hard time. Everything CPO from BMW directly is too expensive for my budget at the moment. I can wait out to see if new stock comes in at a better price.

I found a 335 online from a KIA dealership and gave them a call. I asked if it was a trade in or what and the sales guy told me the KIA dealership bought it from one of their wholesalers. Should I avoid buying something at a KIA dealership that they bought from a wholesaler where the wholesaler probably bought from a BMW directly? I've heard BMW never lets go of a good car they have their hands on...

I do prefer buying from BMW directly, but if not I think buying from another car brand dealership is okay. I would never buy from "Joe's Fine Cars" though.
I would say it depends on how much, if any, of the original warranty is left. I bought mine with a little bit of warranty left from a 3rd party dealership and just had them send it over to a local BMW dealer to get checked out. While this isn't a perfect process, it only cost me about $150 for BMW to give me the thumbs up the only issue was that the car needed new tires. The dealer put new tires on and I drove away. It's all about due dilligence
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 PM
Oil Burner

Mein Auto: 335D
We got our 2011 335D from a private party last year with 3 years and 30k miles left on the CPO warranty.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 01 E39 Sport, 91 318is
We purchased our 2010 e92 from a Hyundai dealership that was CPO and had a little over a month left on warranty. Had is checked out at BMW dealer prior to purchase and all was good. Got a great deal as there were similar at the BMW dealer for more money and miles. Ours had 25k miles with all the options we wanted.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar2020 View Post
Hello,

Some information lacking here.

How many miles on the car?

Does the KIA dealer offer a warranty?

Will the KIA dealer allow you to bring the car to either an Indy or BMW dealer for a thorough mechanical, diagnostic check?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA