Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 z3
Z3 fenders

Is there a difference in the fenders on the 1.9 and 2.8?

I'm curious because I want to completely change my z3 and make it look meaner and I think the wide fenders would help.

If there is a difference, is it even possible to fit them on the car?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Pretty sure you can bolt on the rear fenders of the pre-face-lift Z3s, but you'll also need the rear bumper, and possibly the rocker panels (they are bolted on, not welded).

AGES ago, there was a guy with a 1.9 that had installed the wider rear fenders and all associated parts from an M Rdstr on his car, including the ///M's deep-dish rear wheels. I mean, I think this guy did EVERYTHING, including the ///M seat, console and dual__looking__quad-tip exhaust. It looked exactly like an ///M Rdstr, until the hood was opened!

The deep rear wheels fit the narrow 1.9 axle, when used in conjunction with the 2.8/3.2 fenders, something that the 2.8 & 3.0 guys can't pull off, because the axleshafts are too long.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 04-02-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
Pretty sure you can bolt on the rear fenders of the pre-face-lift Z3s, but you'll also need the rear bumper, and possibly the rocker panels (they are bolted on, not welded).

AGES ago, there was a guy with a 1.9 that had installed the wider rear fenders and all associated parts from an M Rdstr on his car, including the ///M's deep-dish rear wheels. I mean, I think this guy did EVERYTHING, including the ///M seat, console and dual__looking__quad-tip exhaust. It looked exactly like an ///M Rdstr, until the hood was opened!

The deep rear wheels fit the narrow 1.9 axle, when used in conjunction with the 2.8/3.2 fenders, something that the 2.8 & 3.0 guys can't pull off, because the axleshafts are too long.
Great Thanks! What would you say is the best way to get all the panels?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
I widened my 1.9 too...

1) At bare minimum, you need 6cyl Rockers, 2.8 rear fenders (qtr panel), and 2.8 rear bumper.
*The 2.8 rear fenders are same as M-roadster rear fenders.
**All 6 cyl rockers (wide body) are the same.
***at this level, You can reuse 1.9 tail lamps, and exhaust
-Everything is plug and play, direct bolt on. No modifying anything.

2) If you want to do M-Roady conversion, in addition to everything in #1, you'll also need M front bumper, side gills, M side mirrors, and trunk lid, rear bumper
*You will lose your spare tire, to do custom exhaust for the dual outlets.
**The M Roady rear bumper exhaust cutouts are closer to the center of the car than the single side exit of the 1.9 and 2.8 Z3's.
***Rewire the license plate lights to run up to the trunk lid.
****Trunklid needs a little rewiring too (and trunk lock keyed button swapped over.)

3) If you want the facelift Z3 look, (Z3 3.0?) then you'll need everything in #1, as well as
3.0 trunklid assembly, bumper and tail lamps.
*You can reuse 1.9 exhaust (keeping spare tire too)
**3.0 rear bumper will ONLY work with 3.0 rear fenders.
***3.0 tail lamps will only work with 3.0 trunk lid.

-Other details: you'll want appropriate fender liners, fuel cap lid, and rubber funnel inside the gas lid (connects from fender to gas filler tube).

The wider ass makes a night and day difference in looks. So much nicer. Easier on the eyes.

Good luck!~
-Joe
Old 04-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklane View Post
There is certainly nothing bad for engine in doing what you're doing. One down side is that, with the transmission in neutral, you are not ready to apply power to avoid an emergency situation. It would be better to use the clutch for normal braking, then use neutral once when you are stopped to reduce some wear on the throw-out bearing.

The time to use engine braking is during prolonged braking, such as down a mountain, where the brakes can overheat, which causes the brake fluid to boil, which results in no brakes. Using engine braking in normal situation means that you would shift into a lower gear and release the clutch. There are times when that is good, but it adds wear to the clutch disc. The way you do it (using neutral with the brakes) results in less wear to the clutch, which is much more expensive to replace than the brakes.
Great thanks! Do you know of any easily accessible places to buy the parts?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
There's online brokers for dismantlers, but shipping usually becomes the problem.

I got lucky and found someone with a M-Roady they were parting out. I got all the body parts, complete interior, and more. Almost a 1 stop shop.

I did bite the bullet and purchased the front and rear bumper brand new.
I was investing in a new paint job, and couldnt find any used bumpers in the condition I wanted.

My recommendation, would be to skip the M-roadster rear bumper and trunklid swap.
If you really want the M's rear look., just sell the Z3 and buy a real M.

I just wanted some more Ass.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe422 View Post
There's online brokers for dismantlers, but shipping usually becomes the problem.

I got lucky and found someone with a M-Roady they were parting out. I got all the body parts, complete interior, and more. Almost a 1 stop shop.

I did bite the bullet and purchased the front and rear bumper brand new.
I was investing in a new paint job, and couldnt find any used bumpers in the condition I wanted.

My recommendation, would be to skip the M-roadster rear bumper and trunklid swap.
If you really want the M's rear look., just sell the Z3 and buy a real M.

I just wanted some more Ass.
Haha I don't blame you! Thank you

Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Z3 fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredfarouki View Post
I'm curious because I want to completely change my z3 and make it look meaner and I think the wide fenders would help.
I always liked the slim look of the narrow body 1.9. It was the OE WHEELS (Z-star?) that I thought hurt the car's looks. One option to consider is find some "classic" wheel style, such as Panasport/Minilite or Borbet Type CA, to compliment the classic style of the narrow-body 1.9. That would be a lot easier and cheaper than trying to change bodywork. End up with a modern-day Alfa Romeo Duetto Spyder.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 04-03-2014 at 10:59 PM.