Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-03-2014, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto:
Any suggestions ?? Help !

I have an 06 330i and have an odd issue. When I parked my car in my driveway for a week while I was gone on vacation it was fine. I come home yesterday and go to start it up, and it seems like the CPU or electrical is malfunctioning. All exterior lights were flashing repeatedly, my dash was showing up with all these error codes and what not, blinkers dont work, my dials kept spiking by themselves even though the car was in park. I had my landlord who is a mechanic bring home a scanner and clear out all the codes but didn't do much.

The only way to stop it temporarily is disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. Once reconnected it starts up fine and runs fine - but just for that journey. Just a temporary fix. If the car is left turned off after that for more than and a half hour it starts all over with the issues again. I have to disconnect the battery and reconnect etc just to drive somewhere. The battery was replaced just 2 months ago, I have no idea what it could be and haven't had a chance to take it to have looked at yet. any ideas ??

HELP PLEASE!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto:
This is what the dash looks like. I believe that error code is "transmission limp mode" anyone have an idea what may cause this ?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396625283566.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	431764  
Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Check the battery

Check the battery , If its below 12 volts its time to change it . (ooops not
reading cardfully or fully awake saw you did replace it)
if you haven't already . New does not always mean good and is
it the right size and was it registered . But the logic path follows when did
it start happening and what was done at that time.
Try putting a full charge on it an see what happens.
Also check the connections at the battery .
Who replaced it?
Measure it.

If is was an 07 it would be worth checking the for the fuse box cable
connector recall but its not.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja

Last edited by ctuna; 04-04-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto:
That's what I thought, I literally just replaced the battery with a new one no more 3 months ago. Is it possible it could be defective ?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Take some measurements and try charging

Take some measurements and try charging.
Did you put the right size and type in and did you have
it registered ? Have you been using the car enough to
keep it charged? A new battery should have a resting
voltage above 12.4 with the doors locked in the sleep mode
and a running voltage of around 14.5 for a lead acid battery.
You can check the voltage with the hidden menu's
http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus
or buy a 20 dollar volt meter or
a elm327 with a torque app and a smart phone.

Last edited by ctuna; 04-04-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto:
Called around to a few places and explained best I could to them what the issue was. A foreign mechanic said it was a mistake to get the battery I replaced a few months ago from Napa, that that was a bad idea. Another place said that it could be the body control module, and that I need to take it right to BMW?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfinnz88 View Post
I had my landlord who is a mechanic bring home a scanner and clear out all the codes but didn't do much.

Can you get him to read the codes instead of just resetting them?

Also, I believe that your battery needs to be "registered" when you swap a new one in. basically telling the car that you have a new battery and the type of battery it is.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Might be a bad IBS sensor.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-05-2014, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
I'm leaning towards the battery being the issue. As others have mentioned new does not always mean good. Measure it, charge it, possibly replace it a second time (new battery should be under warranty). If none of that works then investigate further.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Measuring voltage won't tell you anything.

Voltage will really only tell you if a cell is bad. Just because a battery is at 12.6v, doesn't mean it can provide the proper amount of CA/CCAs required to turn over an engine.

You need to have the battery load tested to determine its performance.

Any auto parts stores should be able to load test your battery for free, granted you bring it them out of the car.

I don't think this is a battery issue becuase the OP claims the issues is "reset" after pulling power and reconnecting. Seems like a sensor issue to me.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 04-05-2014 at 08:29 AM.