Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-04-2014, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: 328
Need advice please help! Bought yesterday

I am so glad we found this forum! So here is my dilemma, I have been looking for cars the last 5 days and was really tossed up between a 2012 C300 (dealer demo) with 11,000 miles and a 2011 328i (M Sport) with 39,000 miles. Last night I finally pulled the trigger on the BMW ($27,500) and quite honestly am still having the same concerns as I did a few days ago.

1) How can I know if this car was beat on? I know that's a tough question to answer

2) All emblems were taken off by the former owner but we asked for them to be put back on

3) The car has some decent dings and scratches on the drivers door which they said they cannot repair but will try and get them to look better.

4) The sport seats. Man they are awesome when you first sit in them because they wrap around your body, however on a 5 hour drive I am wondering if that will get irritating.

I know this is a BMW forum but for some reason I am having regrets and want to go back and look at the Mercedes.

This will be a 2nd family car and I am not a driver that just gets into cars to drive around. I usually am on the highway for a few hours on business trips.

Thanks everyone and any advice or thoughts you could share will certainly be helpful!

Last edited by Dougandbeth; 04-04-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 330i (6MT, ZSP, ZPP)
Usually, when people say " I pulled the trigger", then there's no going back and the money has changed hands. If that's the case, as you said, then it's too late so stop worrying and enjoy the ride. If you haven't paid (pulled the trigger), then you can continue your deliberations. I'd suggest taking both cars on extended highway drives, as you said that was important to you, and do it back to back to see which you prefer. Both cars are nice, both can become money pits. It will probably depend on prior maintenance and some good old luck. I'm not that in tune with actual selling prices on '11 328's but $27,500 seems high for a car that has dings and scatches and you have doubts about. My advice, if you haven't already paid, is to take your time and get what you want. What's the rush?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:15 AM

Did not take delivery yet. Only left them a deposit and they ran the loan through yesterday and in the great state of CT all contracts can be stopped within 72 hours.

This is an M Sport which I think is why the price is higher. They did have the car sent out yesterday to fix the scratches so we will see today when I stop over there to see it. No real rush honestly more of a want.

I guess where I am stuck is do I want a 3 year old car with 39,000 miles of go with the C300 which for titleing purposes will be brand new because the dealer still owns the vehicle. Has 11,700 miles on it.

Anyone have both cars that can shed some light?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
I think the price on the 328 is a bit high. Here my suggestion of finding out if the car has been abused: a) Take it for a pre-purchase inspection to an independent indie. It will cost you $200-300. But I think it is money well spent, since you are planning to spend $20K+. b) Run a CARFAX to get info on reported accidents. c) If you are buying from a BMW dealer, they should be able to run a service history report on the CAR.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:34 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
You might double check that right of rescission. Most states allow right of rescission only on a very narrow area of contracts such as home solicitations. Quick google search of CT law seems to support that. On the other hand most dealers won't force you buy a car you don't want.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:48 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Man .... this is your honeymoon night .... it doesn't get better from here ..... if you are having doubts now back off and rethink!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
I might be too picky, but I almost immediately classify badge removal with posers and stay away from buying a car like that.
Don't get me wrong there are good guys out there who have removed badges, but...
Door dings? I don't know - if you are asking a question on car aesthetics, be so kind to provide several photos.
Drive the car and see if you notice any noises / other weird feedback from suspension, steering, braking, etc. BMW dealership? Ask to see a service record.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Man .... this is your honeymoon night .... it doesn't get better from here ..... if you are having doubts now back off and rethink!
Agree. I'd walk away from this one.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 04-04-2014, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Xdrive Coupe
Good advise from the other folks here. To recap, get an indie PPI, take it on a long drive and get what you want. My other point is don't think the demo car was not beat on. Those demo cars get loaned out on longer term test drives sometimes over night and weekends. I have been on both sides (worked for a dealer once in my life) and taken them as a potential buyer. They get thrashed during those drives.

I bought a 335 xdrive a couple months ago. It's an '09 and had 27k miles (has 31k now). A couple days a week I drive 70 miles each way and coming home I am sitting in Seattle traffic making my commute up to 2 hours. Other than the road noise from the tires I have found the BMW to be very comfortable for that length of time. I am 5'9 and under 160 lbs in decent shape for an old guy, so perhaps my frame fits better in the car than others might. Only issue I have is trying to find a place for my right foot while the cruise control is on. The seats are low so having my foot flat is uncomfortable and stretching it out gets tangles in the pedals. But, still I find it comfortable.

Hope that helps.
JB4 DCI
Old 04-04-2014, 07:31 AM

It is being sold my a reputable BMW dealer which I verified on other cars does not buy cars from an auction. They only sell lease returns, etc.

When I asked the sales person about the emblems his comment back to me was "I know this customer and he is very european and did not like emblems on the car and that's why he had them removed. In additional that's why he never had a front license plate installed either.

As far as the two dings / scratches are about half the size of a dime. One was deep and that's what they were going to touch up right above the driver door handle. The other one is a chip it looks like was hit from a rock on the road or someone next to the car hit it with an open door. Otherwise no other scratches or dings.

Here is the link for the car if anyone wants to look at it along with the car fax. I also ran an autocheck and it came back clean with a rating of 92. Not sure if that's good or bad

http://www.newcountrybmw.com/certifi...ec1dc3c2a4.htm

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...31548&zipCode=
Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougandbeth View Post
It is being sold my a reputable BMW dealer which I verified on other cars does not buy cars from an auction. They only sell lease returns, etc.

When I asked the sales person about the emblems his comment back to me was "I know this customer and he is very european and did not like emblems on the car and that's why he had them removed. In additional that's why he never had a front license plate installed either.

As far as the two dings / scratches are about half the size of a dime. One was deep and that's what they were going to touch up right above the driver door handle. The other one is a chip it looks like was hit from a rock on the road or someone next to the car hit it with an open door. Otherwise no other scratches or dings.

Here is the link for the car if anyone wants to look at it along with the car fax. I also ran an autocheck and it came back clean with a rating of 92. Not sure if that's good or bad

http://www.newcountrybmw.com/certifi...ec1dc3c2a4.htm

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...31548&zipCode=
If you really believe this, I'd say go back to the Merc.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 04-04-2014, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
You should be excited about getting a car, not on the brink of a nervous breakdown. It comes with a CPO warranty from BMW and maybe some of the original B2B warranty too so that would cover most issues. As for the seats, they'll be fine as long as you do not have a heavy build. Sometimes larger gentlemen find the seats constricting. As for the dings/dents they can most certainly be repaired and I would push them to do so. They hire mobile crews to do the repairs on site. if they balk, just tell them it's a dealbreaker and watch how fast they move.

If you still feel uncomfortable, then shut the deal down.

Last edited by BostonB6; 04-04-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 AM

BostonB6 thanks!

Yes the mobile person was there yesterday when I signed the purchase order and they had them start working on it while I was there.

The regular warranty expires on 12/31/2015 (22 months from now or 10,000 miles) and the CPO expires on 12/31/2017.

So I have the warranty for just shy of 4 years.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
Car has a nice color combo. M package + Premium sound are a plus. You have a CPO until 2017. Looks like a nice package. Try to have them fix the dings (which to me is not a deal breaker). If you are not in love with the deal, do not do it. What you are buying is not a rare car. There is always going to be similar of better deals.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
27k? your paying to much for that car, really. go online and do a wide ( 1500 miles or so ) . what ever you buy, get a carfax and an auto check on it. ppi as well. i bought an '11 328 xi, with around 20k miles on for about 20k a few months ago. there are a bunch of off lease 328's out there.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 AM

oh, and btw, if it was a lease return it was more than likely purchased at a bmw financial auction. ask for the auction report.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM

right of rescission apply s to home and phone solicitations where you are contacted, sold , and contracted at your home or place of business generally
Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 AM

The car fax shows the dealer who sold the car originally as the same dealer I am buying it from. Meaning the car was leased to the customer from New Country BMW in 2011 and then serviced at New Country and then now offered for sale at New Country. This tells me the car most likely did not go to auction.

The going rates for these cars in CT with the mileage and non M Sport are around $28,000
Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Look under the oil filler for sludge.

Look under the oil filler for sludge.
Avoid the base stereo in the 2010 and early 2011's
at all costs.
Ask to see all the service records noting the number of
oil changes .
If they followed what it says in the warranty manual that would be
once a year so three to four at least.
Also there is a recall on the electrical cable connection that
connects to the main cabin fuse box see if that has been
done.
Research first then purchase in that order and try not to get
emotional and that is hard to do.

Last edited by ctuna; 04-04-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BWM 335i Coupe
This car doesn't look too bad. The price is too high though. That being said, it pretty much checks all the boxes, NAV, iDrive, M Sports Package, The Harmon Kardon Sound System. You are buying a used car so you need to determine if you can handle the scratches and dents. This comes with buying a used car.

Also, from the pictures, it appears that all emblems are intact. I do see that the car appears to be debadged (removing the 328i logo). Is this what you are talking about?

Also, what does the C300 offer that this car won't? Better price (???)? Better handling (No), Better sound system (doubt it), NAV (the BMW has it), AMG Sports Package (This BMW has the M Sport Package which is an upgrade over the normal Sport Package), CPO (This car has a warranty until 2017; That is peace of mind).

I would try to have him come down further on the price. I wouldn't settle. And as you had mentioned, you are on a BMW forum (aka buying the Mercedes would be settling ;-)

Good Luck.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
That car is debadged. Nothing onerous about that. Space Gray/Saddle - nice! My biggest concern would be can they fix the door dings to your satisfaction.

Good Luck and Welcome.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-04-2014, 08:30 PM

Update!

First I want to apologize for my ignorance, I said the emblems were taken off I meant "de-badged". Sorry about the mix up in terminology

Stopped at the dealer this evening to see the fix on the doors before delivery tomorrow and they are gone literally! How these mobile repair folks do this is insane!

I feel much better about the car and ready for delivery in the morning!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: Fast
Lmao! 1st world problems.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-05-2014, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougandbeth View Post
Update!

First I want to apologize for my ignorance, I said the emblems were taken off I meant "de-badged". Sorry about the mix up in terminology

Stopped at the dealer this evening to see the fix on the doors before delivery tomorrow and they are gone literally! How these mobile repair folks do this is insane!

I feel much better about the car and ready for delivery in the morning!
Seems that they went over the dings with paintless dent removal (PDR). Works great!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BWM 335i Coupe
Congrats! Enjoy it and smile because you didn't settle for the C300.