Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:35 PM
What rocks!

Mein Auto: 04 530 ED
E60 Bluetooth retrofit is here

Was looking at the roadfly forums this afternoon ... looks like one of the posters is having his car upgraded today (10/25) ... and the BT retrofit is software only. Looks like it's good for cars with March 04 production and later. The discussion also includes a .pdf document listing the "approved" phones -- attached below.

I'm interested to see what he reports back ... if the upgrade works. Guess we'll find out later today.

Here's the link: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e60/5824016-1.html

Cheers,

Hoya
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E60_BT_102304.PDF (20.4 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by Hoya Saxa; 10-25-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya Saxa
Was looking at the roadfly forums this afternoon ... looks like one of the posters is having his car upgraded today (10/25) ... and the BT retrofit is software only. Looks like it's good for cars with March 04 production and later. The discussion also includes a .pdf document listing the "approved" phones -- attached below.

I'm interested to see what he reports back ... if the upgrade works. Guess we'll find out later today.

Here's the link: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e60/5824016-1.html

Cheers,

Hoya
Verizon does not offer the Motorola V600...
Old 10-26-2004, 12:50 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to DZeckhausen
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW F30 328i 8-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Verizon does not offer the Motorola V600...
But they do support the Motorola V710 which is the same phone but using CDMA technology (Verizon) vs the Quad band GSM technology that makes the Motorola V600 work with AT&T Wireless (now Cingular), T-Mobile and many carriers overseas. So the V710 is limited to the Verizon network and will not work overseas. In addition, Verizon has asked Motorola to disable certain features, including Bluetooth transfer of photos, so that you have to pay Verizon to use some of their "advanced" network features. So technically the V710 does not share all the same functionality as the V600. Users are pretty pissed about this and vocal, so either Verizon will relent and offer firmware upgrades or people will figure out ways to hack around the restrictions.

Here's a CNET review of the V710: http://reviews.cnet.com/Motorola_V71...2.html?tag=tab

------
2012 BMW F30 328i Luxury Line 8-Speed
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade

2001 BMW E39 540i 6-Speed (Traded-in for F30)
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade
M5 Limited Slip Differential, Front Swaybar
Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, Strut Tower Brace
Rogue Short Shifter, Transmission Mounts
European Dash Conversion
CDV deleted
Old 10-27-2004, 02:34 PM
What rocks!

Works! ... and you don't have to remove assist

Just surfing the roadfly forum this afternoon ... looks like pharding's e60 bluetooth retrofit was successful. It is software only, so yet another i-drive update is required. Both BMW Assist AND bluetooth work under this new upgrade, though Assist will take priority over the cell phone for incoming/outgoing calls/messages/etc.

Based on the post, BMW is still testing it here for a wider rollout in the next few days -- though this is still speculation.

Here's the link to pharding's message: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e60/5837746-1.html

Interestingly, it sounds like the retrofit may be available at no extra charge.

Cheers,

Hoya
Old 10-27-2004, 02:45 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
1. where in the posts does it suggest testing?
2. where in the posts does it suggest free?

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'09 Maserati Quattroporte S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
'08 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'06 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'07 550i Sapphire Black/Black
'05 545i Silver Grey/Black
Old 10-27-2004, 03:00 PM
What rocks!

Answers

Good questions, both. Answers:

1. In his post -- here's the quote: "They thought that this was rolled out at two dealerships first to work out the kinks." That sounds like testing to me.

2. Like I said, speculation on my part. Don't know for sure. My experience is that there is no charge (so far) for i-drive updates. Given that the retrofit appears to be an i-drive update (and that pharding never mentioned being charged for this) my speculation is that it won't cost extra. But as with any speculation, I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Hoya
Old 10-27-2004, 03:09 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya Saxa
Good questions, both. Answers:

1. In his post -- here's the quote: "They thought that this was rolled out at two dealerships first to work out the kinks." That sounds like testing to me.

2. Like I said, speculation on my part. Don't know for sure. My experience is that there is no charge (so far) for i-drive updates. Given that the retrofit appears to be an i-drive update (and that pharding never mentioned being charged for this) my speculation is that it won't cost extra. But as with any speculation, I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Hoya

understood!

however, i-drive updates are only free if there are issues with the current versions that they detemine to need the upgrade.. at our request alone, it isn't free, unfortunately.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'09 Maserati Quattroporte S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
'08 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'06 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'07 550i Sapphire Black/Black
'05 545i Silver Grey/Black
Old 10-31-2004, 12:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Bluetooth Update

The Bluetooth retrofit on May 04 e60 works great. The only issue for me had to do with the volume inbalance. I like to listen to audio system with the volume turned up. The volume needs to be turned down when on a cell phone call to optinmize the audio for the other party. In genral the Bluetooth retrofit is awesome. See my posts for more information at e60dotnet. I have also posted two BMW documents that list compatible phones.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 10-31-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
But they do support the Motorola V710 which is the same phone but using CDMA technology (Verizon) vs the Quad band GSM technology that makes the Motorola V600 work with AT&T Wireless (now Cingular), T-Mobile and many carriers overseas. So the V710 is limited to the Verizon network and will not work overseas. In addition, Verizon has asked Motorola to disable certain features, including Bluetooth transfer of photos, so that you have to pay Verizon to use some of their "advanced" network features. So technically the V710 does not share all the same functionality as the V600. Users are pretty pissed about this and vocal, so either Verizon will relent and offer firmware upgrades or people will figure out ways to hack around the restrictions.

Here's a CNET review of the V710: http://reviews.cnet.com/Motorola_V71...2.html?tag=tab
I was questioning the attachment validity of the prevous post that stated under VERIZON that the V600 is supported... which it is a mistake. It should have stated V710.