Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:31 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
BMW 4 Series Grand Coupe vs BMW 3 Series GT - photo comparison

Let me know your opinions. Personally I like them both but I purchased a 2014 3 Series GT.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/02/04/bm...to-comparison/

2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i
4 Gran Coupe. Period.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i xDrive
I do like the Gran Coupe better as I think it is a good compromise between the sedan and the GT. If I were to trade in my 328ix Sedan it would be for a 428ix Diesel Gran Coupe - but alas they don't offer the 4 series in Diesel yet.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
My impression was that the 4 series Grand Coupe is not yet available. The 3 series GT is based on a long-wheel base 3 series sedan sold only in China, and has better rear seat knee room than any of our 3 series sedans. It is also taller, which helps with head room. Some reviewers have claimed that they notice the added height during cornering, but the difference is almost certainly of no significance except on a race track. The reviews that I have seen are very impressed with the luggage capacity under that big rear hatch.

I expect the 4 series Grand Coupe to be lower, shorter, lighter, less practical, faster, and more expensive, but I have seen no reviews of the car and it is not yet up on the BMW USA site.

I think that I hear some buyer's remorse in your question--should you have waited for the 4 series Gran Coupe? My answer would be no. There is always something new coming along in a year or two that you could wait for. If the 3 series GT really meets your needs, then the 4 series Grand Coupe would not and you made the right decision.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
I am currently deciding between the 335 GT and 435 GC. It seems to come down to utility/price vs performance/aesthetics.

Since the 2014 335 GT is near the end of year, better deals/incentives are available for it than the 2015 435 GC that is just now becoming available for ordering. So the 435 GC will likely cost more even though the base price on the GT 335i xdrive is lower at $46,850 versus the base price of the 435i GC (only rear wheel is available now) is $45,800 per the dealer's price guide.

The 335 GT has much more room in the rear seats than the 335/435 and most likely in the hatch area as well.

However the added utility of the 335 GT comes at the cost of ride height and weight. The GT definitely leans more in curves than the 335 sedan though the m-sport and DHP help compensate. Also, the car seems to pull more like a 328 sedan than a 335 sedan. Not bad but noticeable. I drove a 335 GT with the PPK and it accelerated more like the 335 sedan.

Looks are subjective, but from the photos I think the 435 looks a bit better. I also liked the looks of the 335 sedan over the 335 GT on the showroom of the local dealer.

Tough choice. I am leaning towards the 435 GC but the space, utility, and price of the 335 GT is compelling.

Last edited by jimshep; 04-09-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by After Hours View Post
My impression was that the 4 series Grand Coupe is not yet available. The 3 series GT is based on a long-wheel base 3 series sedan sold only in China, and has better rear seat knee room than any of our 3 series sedans. It is also taller, which helps with head room. Some reviewers have claimed that they notice the added height during cornering, but the difference is almost certainly of no significance except on a race track. The reviews that I have seen are very impressed with the luggage capacity under that big rear hatch.

I expect the 4 series Grand Coupe to be lower, shorter, lighter, less practical, faster, and more expensive, but I have seen no reviews of the car and it is not yet up on the BMW USA site.

I think that I hear some buyer's remorse in your question--should you have waited for the 4 series Gran Coupe? My answer would be no. There is always something new coming along in a year or two that you could wait for. If the 3 series GT really meets your needs, then the 4 series Grand Coupe would not and you made the right decision.
Overall I prefer the 3 seires GT I can carry 4 people without having to cram them in the back.... There is never a winner in this kind of post as we each have our own preference.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i

There is no comparison.

One of the cars is a people mover/minivan hybrid and the other is the sleekest and sportiest 3 Series Sedan ever made. There is a place for both of them, don't get me wrong, but to compare the two is ridiculous.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

There is no comparison.

One of the cars is a people mover/minivan hybrid and the other is the sleekest and sportiest 3 Series Sedan ever made. There is a place for both of them, don't get me wrong, but to compare the two is ridiculous.

BJ
Agreed. Still not sure why either of them are called a 4 series though.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:14 PM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by After Hours View Post

Nice summary. No buyer's remorse here. We have been planning the purchase for months.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:29 PM
BMW CCA Member

BMW 4 Series Grand Coupe vs BMW 3 Series GT - photo comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshep View Post

Since the 2014 335 GT is near the end of year, better deals/incentives are available for it than the 2015 435 GC that is just now becoming available for ordering. So the 435 GC will likely cost more even though the base price on the GT 335i xdrive is lower at $46,850 versus the base price of the 435i GC (only rear wheel is available now) is $45,800 per the dealer's price guide.

Tough choice. I am leaning towards the 435 GC but the space and utility of the 335 GT is compelling.

My 328 GT MSRP was $43,425. What sweeten the pot for me the dealer was running a three day end of the month spring madness sale. I received a $7600 markdown off MSRP, sales price $35,825.[ATTACH]432213[/ATTA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1396819690.536599.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	432213  

Last edited by DrT; 04-06-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
Agreed. Still not sure why either of them are called a 4 series though.
Strange naming convention, but the cars are beautiful and the amount of derivative models really ensures a lot of choice for customers. Whether 3 Series or 4 Series, we're looking at:

Sedan
Coupe
Gran Coupe
Convertible
Wagon
GT (Hatch)
X (SUV)
X (Crossover)
Z (Roadster)

A $45,000 BMW for anyone and everyone.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 04-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I'll reserve my opinion until I see them in person at the NY Auto Show in a few weeks.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 04-06-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I'll reserve my opinion until I see them in person at the NY Auto Show in a few weeks.
I will be there on Day 1 and, when no one is looking, intend to fondle its gearshift lever and lick its dead pedal.

BJ

Old 04-06-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I will be there on Day 1 and, when no one is looking, intend to fondle its gearshift lever and lick its dead pedal.

BJ
I will be there on April 16th.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 04-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Bimmer Neophyte

Mein Auto: 435i coupe
Wow, the rear three quarter shot of the 4 series GC makes it look extremely handsome. If I was in the market for a 4-door BMW I'd have to go with that.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4awesome View Post
Wow, the rear three quarter shot of the 4 series GC makes it look extremely handsome. If I was in the market for a 4-door BMW I'd have to go with that.

Yup, it's the money-shot of the BMW 3/4 Series.

I consider the 4 Gran Coupe the F30 with the Panini package. It's a Sedan that's been squished down and widened, looks great.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 04-06-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335 GT M spot
I thought BMW came up with the 4 series is to group the 2-door 3 series. And now they come up a 4-door Gran Coupe... I wonder the 4 series will do well in China since the word 4 in Chinese is similar to the word death.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkee View Post
I thought BMW came up with the 4 series is to group the 2-door 3 series. And now they come up a 4-door Gran Coupe... I wonder the 4 series will do well in China since the word 4 in Chinese is similar to the word death.

It's about the money, the 4 series grand coupe will cost more then the 4 series coupe. MB is making a killing on the CLS550, Audi is making a killing on the A7, BMW is making a killing on the 6 series grand coupe, it's all about the $$$..

Old 04-06-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkee View Post
It has the distinctive profile of a Coupe, doesn't matter how many doors, thus the reason it is part of the 4 Series.

BJ

Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
It's about the money, the 4 series grand coupe will cost more then the 4 series coupe. MB is making a killing on the CLS550, Audi is making a killing on the A7, BMW is making a killing on the 6 series grand coupe, it's all about the $$$..
Since when has it not been about the money with a luxury car brand?

There is nothing bad here for consumers. Taking a well-loved Sedan and adding a few additional wrinkles and form factors gives us more choice, more customability, and more uniqueness. The GT doesn't look good to me but I understand why it exists and it doesn't bother me at all. The GC looks great to me and it makes me lust after a sedan for the first time in a long time but it bothers some people.

No longer do I have to begrudgingly drive a sedan for the practical sake of my family and eschew the gorgeous and sleek coupe of my dreams; I can have it all now. Thank you BMW.

BJ

Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Bimmer Neophyte

Mein Auto: 435i coupe
The one downside I see to this model proliferation is a loss of distinctiveness. It might be just my perception but I feel like 10-15 years ago if you bought a car from one of the 3 Germans, it was very distinctive and you could easily tell the models apart. The other day I was driving next to a 5 series sedan in traffic and for several minutes I thought it was a 3 series! Good looking car, but not as distinctive as they used to be. This is true for all the German brands, not just BMW. The new C class sedan looks in many ways like a baby S class. And so on and so forth...

Last edited by 4awesome; 04-07-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
The one downside I see to this model proliferation is a loss of distinctiveness. It might be just my perception but I feel like 10-15 years ago if you bought a car from one of the 3 Germans, it was very distinctive and you could easily tell the models apart. The other day I was driving next to a 5 series sedan in traffic and for several minutes I thought it was a 3 series! Good looking car, but not as distinctive as they used to be. This is true for all the German brands, not just BMW. The new C class sedan looks in many ways like a baby S class. And so on and so forth...
Very true, but BMW's current iterations resolve the problem that had in the Chris Bangle era. The 3 Series looked very good, but the 1 Series, 5 Series, and 6 Series were awful, tried too hard to look distinctive and different from each other, I they instead looked awkward and unkempt just for the sake of the difference you're talking about.

Flash forward to today, BMW found one great design that customers responded very well to (5 Series) and all they needed were some very slight deviations across the entire model line and that means a few things; really good looking cars, predictable sellthrough's, and a lot of commonality. BMW sells the same sausage in different lengths and to many of us that is a good thing.

BJ

Old 06-18-2014, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Quote:
I agree.
Quite handsome

1967 1600 (batteship gray) – got me hooked (6 volt - wtf?)
1990 E30 convertible -calypso red – it was fun for 14 years
2006 E91 – ED - sparkling graphite, 6-spd, xenon, cold weather, premium, Logic 7 sound. His
2014 F30 - ED - Liquid Blue, auto, Tech, DHP, Sat, Lighting, Leather, cold weather. Hers
Old 06-18-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:

There is no comparison.

BJ
Which one is the mover/minivan hybrid?

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 06-18-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Which one is the mover/minivan hybrid?
The one that looks like a humpback whale, not the one that's the sleekest 3 Series sedan BMW has ever built.

BJ