Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: VW Eos
I'm new and need some help.

I wanted a 228i or a M335i, but a 2 door car is not just practical. Thus, just yesterday I test drove a 328i manual and I loved the way it drove/shifted. So I came home and created my ideal build and then went to TRUEcar to see what they could do for me.

I just tried to attach my ideal build - I'm not sure if I did it correctly. By the way TRUEcar offered me a guaranteed savings certificate of $5140 for a MSRP of $5430. Please let me know if you think this is a good deal or not? THANKS for your time/input!

BMW 328i build sheet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	328i-build.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	432595  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan328i.pdf (240.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by tim330i; 04-08-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Added image of build
Ads by Google
Old 04-07-2014, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: can you guess?
A 2 door car can be practical. It is impossible for a child to open the door while the car is moving and fall out. Most kids can be taught not to do this.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by math4scher View Post
I wanted a 228i or a M335i, but a 2 door car is not just practical. Thus, just yesterday I test drove a 328i manual and I loved the way it drove/shifted. So I came home and created my ideal build and then went to TRUEcar to see what they could do for me.

I just tried to attach my ideal build - I'm not sure if I did it correctly. By the way TRUEcar offered me a guaranteed savings certificate of $5140 for a MSRP of $5430. Please let me know if you think this is a good deal or not? THANKS for your time/input!
Error? BMW for $5,430?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Maybe $54,300?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz View Post
Maybe $54,300?
Usually 328i's are not that expensive in the U.S.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz View Post
Usually 328i's are not that expensive in the U.S.
Maybe look at the build he posted.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i
Not sure. Why don't you contact a board sponsor and see what they will do? You'll almost certainly have to order it. Maybe consider PCD or ED.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Maybe look at the build he posted.
I thought that pdf's are sometimes viruses?????
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM

Sorry, I meant $54,300. Thanks for your comments so far. Is it a good deal or not? Is it too much money to spend on that car? Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM

I currently drive a 2011 Audi A4 Prestige and it cost $45,000. So I'm thinking that for $49,000, just $4000 more, I can get a lot more car for my money...is my thinking wrong?
Again, thanks for taking the time to help this BMW novice out!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 & 328d F31
54k for a 328i sounds like a lot, even if loaded to the max. I just picked up a 335i loaded at that price point. Sorry, I'm not downloading or opening a PDF file posted on an open forum. If you want more specific help, you'll need to post your build without an attachment that can carry viruses.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Registered User since 07

Mein Auto: 2014 435xi
Quote:
Sorry, I meant $54,300. Thanks for your comments so far. Is it a good deal or not? Is it too much money to spend on that car? Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
You are taking a base car and adding 17k in options. If you buy this car and plan on keeping it a long time I am sure you will enjoy it. If your a person who gets rid of it every 3 years or so go for a lease. If you try to trade or sell this car after three years you will get destroyed, and not get back anywhere near what you should. In this case a lease makes more sense. When you lease with say a 63% residual you are only paying for 37% of the car and all the options you are getting. I have found when trading or selling outright you get very little if anything for those options so they really cost you 100%
Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
When I went through the process, most people on this blog were happy when they got about 7% off of list price, and most dealers will do that for you without your going through True Value. At least one of the bloggers put money down on a car that appears not to have been ordered--so be careful with your choice of dealer. When you order, you should get an order number at that time and a way to track your build on BMW USA. The dealers are rationed ordering slots, so yours may not have a slot for months, but may try to sell you a car anyway in the hopes that once he has your down payment he will find a car somewhere. If he is honest and can place the order he will have the number at the time of your down payment.

I am sure that you know the game with your trade in--the dealer gives you an unbelievably good deal on your new car, and it is only later that you realize that you were given an unbelievably bad deal on your trade in. One way to avoid this trap is to focus on the difference between the two cars. The dealers that I have dealt with will give me the price quoted on the Kelly Blue Book site for my new car but always come in lower than the KBB price for the trade in. Their prices for the trade ins have matched those on Galves, which requires a fee for joining, but they have a low rate for a day or so.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
54300 is his build msrp. It seems truecar is showing a 5140 discount for a sales price of 49160.
Thst is almost 10% off msrp which would actually be rather good IMO.

Problem is to find a car close to his build jn stock and would have to place a custom order, which would likely raise the price...

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 328d;1990 325i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegandalf View Post
54300 is his build msrp. It seems truecar is showing a 5140 discount for a sales price of 49160.
Thst is almost 10% off msrp which would actually be rather good IMO.

Problem is to find a car close to his build jn stock and would have to place a custom order, which would likely raise the price...
I don't agree that a special order necessarily raises the price. I got one and paid 10+% under MSRP.

2014 328d SportLine Melbourne Red//DHP/Sport AT/Lighting Package/Moonroof/M Sport Steering Wheel/Dinan Shockware/Kelleners Sport Front Lip Spoiler & Trunk Spoiler/19x8.5 VMR 721 Gunmetal/BavSound Stage One/XPel Full Front w/OptiCoat/Prestige PhotoSync & FormulaOne Pinnacle
1990 325i coupe/Bilstein HD/M3 springs/M3 rsb/Cabrio fsb/4.10 LSD/Conforti chip/Z3 short shifter/M3 Sport seat custom upholstered
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Registered User since 07

Mein Auto: 2014 435xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
I don't agree that a special order necessarily raises the price. I got one and paid 10+% under MSRP.
From my experience many times if the dealer is giving you a really good price he would rather order you a car. Then if a customer comes in and is hot for a car he can get a better markup and deliver it immediatly if he has it in stock. I usually am able to get my cars at invoice plus all the incentives. If the car is not really in demand he will let me take one off the lot. However on my 435 he had a very limited amount in stock. Never more than 1 or 2 , for a dealer that sells 4000 cars a year. He would only order me a car, said he could not give me one off the lot even if it was what I wanted. He told me he was getting close to MSRP on any 435's he had in stock. This was back in December. I ordered exactly what I wanted, and had it in 9 weeks

Last edited by DTRJ; 04-07-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
That's a very nicely optioned 328i, $10K more than my Sport Line model and to me that's a lot of money for a 328. If it was me I'd rather have a less loaded 335 for that kind of money.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 AM

I'm really sorry in that I did not know about attachments = possible virus.

Here's my ideal build written out: Estoril Blue, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Trim, Driver Assistance Pkg, Driver Assistance Plus, Lighting Pkg, M Sport, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, M Sport Brakes, Manual Transmission, Heated Front Seats, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound.

MSRP: $54300
Offered Cost: $49,160

I'm new to this forum and I just want to say how appreciate I am of the time that each member who replies takes to really give you honest feedback/insights - thank you for being so helpful!

A little about myself: I'm 65 and nearing retirement. I like a peppy car and do not necessary need all the power of a 6 cylinder. I like the safety features of driver side assist, HUD, lane departure warnings, etc. I will probably keep this car 4-5 years.

So with all this in mind, this this a good deal? a good build?

I steered away from the 228i or M235i (that's the car I really wanted) because I/my friends are getting up there in age and a 2 door coupe just does seem practical at this time in my life.

One last thing, what do you think of the Estoril Blue interior "stuff" (do not know what you really call it) versus the black? Does anyone have that combo? Does it look cool or too cheap?

THANKS again for all of your help.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:42 AM

New to this thread and needing help - with no attachments

I'm reposting my thread - this time ignorant of any attachment. I'm really sorry in that I did not know about attachments = possible virus.

Here's my ideal build written out: Estoril Blue, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Trim, Driver Assistance Pkg, Driver Assistance Plus, Lighting Pkg, M Sport, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, M Sport Brakes, Manual Transmission, Heated Front Seats, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound.

I'm new to this forum and I just want to say how appreciate I am of the time that each member who already replied to my initial post took to give their honest feedback/insights - thank you for being so helpful!

A little about myself: I'm 65 and nearing retirement. I like a peppy car and do not necessary need all the power of a 6 cylinder. I like the safety features of driver side assist, HUD, lane departure warnings, etc. I will probably keep this car 4-5 years.

I steered away from the 228i or M235i (that's the car I really wanted) because I/my friends are getting up there in age and a 2 door coupe just does seem practical at this time in my life.

One last thing, what do you think of the Estoril Blue interior "stuff" (do not know what you really call it) versus the black? Does anyone have that combo? Does it look cool or too cheap?

Old 04-08-2014, 05:35 AM
It means bright red

Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
Quote:
I'm really sorry in that I did not know about attachments = possible virus.

I'm new to this forum and I just want to say how appreciate I am of the time that each member who replies takes to really give you honest feedback/insights - thank you for being so helpful!

Get what you really want, the M235! Age is just a number, you'll be the coolest guy in your coffee group!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
I currently drive a 2011 Audi A4 Prestige and it cost $45,000. So I'm thinking that for $49,000, just $4000 more, I can get a lot more car for my money...is my thinking wrong?
Again, thanks for taking the time to help this BMW novice out!
1) You are driving an Audi, so you've already answered your "is my thinking wrong" question. In case you missed the answer, it's "Yes"
2) "Audi A4 Prestige" - nothing prestigious about an Audi

Run along now.

EDIT: Just saw your post about the 4-5 years...maybe consider a lease for 3 years? Also, You should be targeting this number: Invoice + Options - BMW incentives + $500-1000 dealer profit

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.

Last edited by furby076; 04-08-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by After Hours View Post
When I went through the process, most people on this blog were happy when they got about 7% off of list price, and most dealers will do that for you without your going through True Value. At least on
Hm. 7% is an interesting number and I think you may be confused. 7% is the discount you get for doing Euro Delivery. It's a fixed discount that reduce the Invoice and MSRP of the BASE portion of the car. Meaning if you do ED, your base model will be cheaper by 7% on invoice and msrp. You will still have to negotiate the range of invoice to msrp (like a normal sale).

Most people on this board are happy to pay Invoice + Options - BMW discounts + (500 to 1000) dealer profit. Often times, with BMW discounts, you end up paying under invoice (even with dealer profit).

Order Number -> You may not get this instantly. Sometimes it takes a few days

Ordering Slots -> If you do Euro Delivery than it does not take the car out of the dealer allocation UNLESS it's an M car (e.g., M3, M5) or it's a brand new car that is still in a limited production run (e.g., when the z first came out, or the special limited edition M3 they had a few years back).

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.

Last edited by furby076; 04-08-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I've merged your threads, you didn't need to create another one. I made an image out of your PDF and stuck it in your original post. I've never seen people worry about viruses from PDFs this much.

Good luck with your order,
Tim
Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
That's a very nicely optioned 328i, $10K more than my Sport Line model and to me that's a lot of money for a 328. If it was me I'd rather have a less loaded 335 for that kind of money.
I agree, my 335i was about that price. The only major difference is that I skipped nav/tech.

OP, you're taking a 37k car and adding 17 worth of options, or almost 50% of the base price. If you're only keeping the car 4-5 years you should probably lease as you'll take a bath on resale.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Client Advisor

Mein Auto: 428i M Sport
On that particular build, a lease would probably be better suited as it is a unique color, and a manual transmission. That really limits the market for resale. I can offer you an excellent deal on a Performance Center Delivery on that particular vehicle. Contact me and I will be happy to give you some quotes.
10671 Parkside dr
Knoxville TN 37922
(931) 436-0781-Cell
(865) 691-3917-Fax
Mike.T.Grala@gmail.com
I specialize in out of state, European Delivery
and Performance Center Deliveries!