Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-07-2014, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
BMW E90 Windows and Sunroof Open on their own

I came out to my driveway this morning, and all the windows were down, moonroof was open and doors were unlocked. WTF? I live alone. Last night I got my briefcase out of the car, locked the car, put the keys inside the keybox in my entryway.

This morning, I wake up to find that the car is flooded, and what was a "new" interior is ruined. The previously firm leather seats now look wavy, and the previously firm door panels look wavy. Even the BMW emblem on the steering wheel is de-laminating. Called the dealer and they want money just to look at the issue. Called BMW customer assistance and they could care less. Am I simply out of luck? Other posts suggest a manufacturer's defect caused by moisture.

I would hope that a quality manufacturer would be willing to stand behind a defective product.

I love my car, but this is a disappointing development (to say the least).

Maybe I'm just being a crybaby.

It is an 07 model with 45K miles.
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: '07 E90
More than likely your keychain was pinched when you put it in the key box. My E90 has a "convenience" feature that will allow you to roll down all windows and open the sunroof simply by holding the unlock button on the key fob.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 08 550i,07 335i,89 635csi
Sorry to hear about the misfortune. I'd be pissed too, so no apologies necessary (cry baby ref) Like Jharkleroad said, sounds as though the unlock button on your remote was (somehow) depressed for several seconds. I'm not saying another explanation doesn't exist, but fact that ALL those items opened would seem to rule out practically everything else.
Since this JUST happened, I'd seek an experts opinion on what/ how to treat the items affected by water so as to have best possible outcome. Let us know how you make out.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jharkleroad16 View Post
More than likely your keychain was pinched when you put it in the key box. My E90 has a "convenience" feature that will allow you to roll down all windows and open the sunroof simply by holding the unlock button on the key fob.
this. if anything was pressing on the unlock button on the remote, you would see these results, all windows and sunroof opened, doors unlocked.

consult a professional detailer. you'll need to move fast to keep mildew from setting in.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 04-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jharkleroad16 View Post
Yup. They all have this feature.

Had a similar thing happen to me. Going out to my wife's car in a rainstorm, put my cellphone in my pocket with my keys, and watched my windows start to roll down as I walked past the BMW. Much frantic emptying of pocket, plus having to open and get into my car, get the key in, switch on, and windows up. Was fortunate that I noticed it before the sunroof opened (the roof opens after the windows are fully down) and before we drove off in her car.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 04-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Yup. They all have this feature.

Had a similar thing happen to me. Going out to my wife's car in a rainstorm, put my cellphone in my pocket with my keys, and watched my windows start to roll down as I walked past the BMW. Much frantic emptying of pocket, plus having to open and get into my car, get the key in, switch on, and windows up. Was fortunate that I noticed it before the sunroof opened (the roof opens after the windows are fully down) and before we drove off in her car.
Next time stick the key in the door and hold it in the lock position. It will roll up the windows, close the sunroof, and fold the mirrors, if applicable. Same thing works in the unlock position, except it obviously goes the other way.

Same as if you were to code the fob to do remote comfort close.

Many cars are like this. For example, VAG cars (VW, Audi, Bugatti, etc) behave the same with the key lock and windows.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 04-07-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
These are not the only reports of "inadvertent" key fob activation that we've read about in these pages over the years.

The perfect thing to worry about as you leave the car at the airport parking lot or with a careless valet. I've parked my car (home) more than once and 'jounced' it around (fob) with keys in my pocket...going back to the car to make sure I didn't open the windows.

I can't think of the perfect solution for a better key fob design, but looking at mine, I note that the 'lock' and 'unlock' buttons are perfectly flush with the fob surface...and perhaps more vulnerable to getting hit with other junk in your pocket.

Perhaps 'indenting' the buttons somewhat would be better. Or better yet, the 'flip' glue on cover (P&G patent pending)
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 04-07-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 335 d
I used this feature today.

only parking spot was in a big puddle. Getting out was not to bad but getting back in was next to impossible wo stepping right in the puddle. So I opened the windows and sun roof, tossed my bag in the back seat, then opened the door, held the window frame and lunged up and onto the door sill, while grabbing the sun roof opening. Able to get into the car wo getting wet.