Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-07-2014, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: Alfa Gtv-6
Why are most E90 going to auctions before being sold at dealers?

Hi,

I've been looking for an used E90 328i convertible, but they seem to all have made stops at auction houses prior to being sold at non BMW dealerships. Even BMW dealerships have low inventory. There are barely any private sellers selling them also. What gives? Are they so problematic coming off of leases that BMW dealers just want to get rid of them?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Danny
Ads by Google
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Dealers mostly don't want them if they can't CPO them, so they action anything that won't qualify.

Also - in the northeast, like New York, they basically can't shift convertibles after August until May, so they tend to get them off the lot for the winter - you will likely start to see them stock up in the next month a bit more (and since most people buy convertibles in the springtime, most of the least turn ins happen in May-July).
Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Welcome to the fest.

Perhaps the reason you are having trouble finding cars is that the E9X convertible is technically an E93 not an E90 (that would be a sedan). More likely though, is that there just may not be a whole lot of them around. Based on the skewed statistics around here, there are about 3:1 335:328 E93s. If you are looking for an MT 328i E93 it's going to be a really long search as those are few and far between. My guess is the reason you see very few available is that many owners are not too willing to give them up.

Good luck with your search. The E93 is a really fun car!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Officially Something ...

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi Sedan, AT, N51
OP,

Just go here:

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/index.htm

There are plenty of them out there ...

Don
Old 04-07-2014, 06:58 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Welcome to the fest.

Perhaps the reason you are having trouble finding cars is that the E9X convertible is technically an E93 not an E90 (that would be a sedan). More likely though, is that there just may not be a whole lot of them around. Based on the skewed statistics around here, there are about 3:1 335:328 E93s. If you are looking for an MT 328i E93 it's going to be a really long search as those are few and far between. My guess is the reason you see very few available is that many owners are not too willing to give them up.

Good luck with your search. The E93 is a really fun car!
Why didn't you tell him it was a 'Cabrio'...you trained me to refer to an E93 "vert" properly.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Why didn't you tell him it was a 'Cabrio'...you trained me to refer to an E93 "vert" properly.
Ah, but you knew that an E90 and an E93 weren't the same thing. I was just finessing your lexicon.

Small steps, P&G.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-08-2014, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpnyc View Post
Hi,

I've been looking for an used E90 328i convertible, but they seem to all have made stops at auction houses prior to being sold at non BMW dealerships. Even BMW dealerships have low inventory. There are barely any private sellers selling them also. What gives? Are they so problematic coming off of leases that BMW dealers just want to get rid of them?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Danny
My guess is that the price dealers would have to pay to BMW to retain lease turn-in is in excess of what they would pay for these cars at auction. No need for a dealership to pay $30k to BMW to retain a lease return when they go for less than that @ auction.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: Alfa Gtv-6
Thanks guys. It seems that the BMW dealerships don't want to deal with the expense of getting these non-CPO cars back up to shape for resell on their lots and would rather send them to auction houses. What that means to me is that out of warranty these cars can be very expensive to maintain. It really amazes me that there are only 2-3 E93s 2007-2009 for sale by private owners. The numbers are the weirdest I've ever seen!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
Quote:
Thanks guys. It seems that the BMW dealerships don't want to deal with the expense of getting these non-CPO cars back up to shape for resell on their lots and would rather send them to auction houses. What that means to me is that out of warranty these cars can be very expensive to maintain. It really amazes me that there are only 2-3 E93s 2007-2009 for sale by private owners. The numbers are the weirdest I've ever seen!
I find 50+ 2007-2009's on Autotrader alone for sale by private party. Try expanding your search area.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:

Right now there really isn't anything BMW makes that I want to buy. The 435 'verts are out, but just recently so the deals will be awful for several months yet. In addition to that, imho there is not much of an upgrade going to the 435 from my 335. The steering is worse, motor and tranny the same. Why should I switch, just to have larger payments for something that has not improved in any area the I care about. To put it into context, I loved my E46 330 'vert. When the E93 came out with the metal roof and a 300 HP/TQ motor, I had to have one! Now, I'll likely get a 435 sooner or later, but no hurry. N4S
Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
when you lease a car, it is actually owned by the manufacturer . when the lease terms, the dealer may have the option to buy it for the lease end value or some such. that value may be affected by any subvented programs that were in effect when the car was leased new ( i.e -residual value) . it may not make sense for a dealer to buy that car when in fact they may be able to buy it for less at a bmw financial action. the car i bought was an off lease from a bmw financial auction, purchased by a non-franchise independent dealer. if the car is still under original warr. no need to get hung up on cpo. you can actually find more comprehensive warr. , for longer terms ( up to 120k total miles) for the car.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: FBO 07 e92 335i
Quote:
Hi,

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Danny
Welcome to the forum
BMW are expensive to maintain once their warranty expires
Old 04-09-2014, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Welcome to the forum
Ain't it the truth! N4S
Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i coupe
Quote:
If you ran a dealership, would you keep every lease turn-in, or keep just the good ones? As a consumer, would you rather purchase a car that was taken care of, or buy one that was mistreated then worked on to make it good for a car lot? While you are correct that dealers only keep the cars that are easily brought to CPO spec, you need to look at is as a positive and not a negative. It's also why BMW dealers are more expensive. They get to keep the cream of the crop, and can ask more for them.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
I found a 2008 CPO E93 6MT with Nav, comfort access and sport. I had to drive up to PA from VA to get it, but it was worth it... Expand your search and make a road trip out of it.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

We're lousy with 'em here! Also, Summer's arrived.

Now then. Where weather's sweet, E93 sells massively....and they are good....very good....owners are loath to let them go!

YO - when you're ready for improvement, send up a flag.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Hi,

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Danny
Look at autotrader or Carmax, I found a ton of E93s when I was looking for my e90. That was only ~4 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Welcome to the forum
Not more than any other car if you DIY, but if you take it to the dealer you will be screwed. Actually that goes for just about any car. 140 for an oil change is outrageous.

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats