Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-08-2014, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 328
MODIFYING BMW OIL CHANGE INTERVAL (CBS) WITH SIMPLE CODING - success 2011 e92

I was interested in lowering the oil change interval on my 2011 E92 since I've always changed my oil more frequently than the standard maintenance schedule. My car has received its last free oil change under the BMW Free Maintenance Program, so this isn't about trying to get additional maintenance for free.

I first attempted to do this by adding the VO option code associated with the maintenance interval I wanted. From my research there are three VO codes used on the Exx cars relating to oil service intervals worldwide. US-spec E9x came with a 27,000km (17,000 mile) interval programmed.

$984=25,000km, Stage I Interval
$988=11,000km, Stage II Interval
$8ST=6,000km, Stage III Interval

After adding the $988 VO code, I wrote the change to the CAS and NFRM, then also flashed the KOMBI without success. On the previous generation E46 cars this could be accomplished very easily as the milage options can be simply selected and coded in the instrument cluster module. With the E9x cars, changing the service interval involves the DME (engine control) module as well. I believe if the DME were to be re-flashed, it would pick up the VO option code I added and change the service interval. However, I wasn't keen on the idea of updating the DME myself, as it's a bit more risky (and involved) than flashing other modules.

I discovered a much easier way to accomplish this mission. Use BMW Tool32, open your particular DME program file (mine is MSV80.prg), select the job "cbs_reset", type this 3-argument string "oel;40;31" into the argument field, then run the job (F5). This instructs the DME to change the oil interval, without having to re-flash the DME. There are a total of 10 arguments that can be selected. However, the other 7 do not need to be changed, so omitting them will cause the defaults to be retained. In about 1 second you will see a box indicating "job status ok". That's it...you've just lowered your oil service interval to 11,000km (7,000 miles). Please note that this procedure resets the oil counter as if a service were being performed...it does not simply adjust the interval from the previous service.

There are at least four (verified) options available for the second argument. It's basically the percentage of the original 27,000km (17,000 mile) interval (see below). The last argument (31) indicates how many services to perform at this interval. You may select 0-30, and the default from BMW is 31.

oel;45;31=12,000km (rounds to 8,000 miles)
oel;40;31=11,000km (rounds to 7,000 miles)
oel;35;31=10,000km (rounds to 6,000 miles)
oel;25;31=7,000km (rounds to 4,000 miles)

This should work on other models as well where Tool32 applies. I hope this helps all of you who, like me, don't believe in changing oil every 17,000 miles and want to have a simple reminder.

Last edited by Jase_DFW; 04-08-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Good info. Thanks for posting!

I also do more frequent oil changes. But I rarely pay attention to the CBS monitors. I also manually check.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |