Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-08-2014, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 328
MODIFYING BMW OIL CHANGE INTERVAL (CBS) WITH SIMPLE CODING - success 2011 e92

I was interested in lowering the oil change interval on my 2011 E92 since I've always changed my oil more frequently than the standard maintenance schedule. My car has received its last free oil change under the BMW Free Maintenance Program, so this isn't about trying to get additional maintenance for free.

I first attempted to do this by adding the VO option code associated with the maintenance interval I wanted. From my research there are three VO codes used on the Exx cars relating to oil service intervals worldwide. US-spec E9x came with a 27,000km (17,000 mile) interval programmed.

$984=25,000km, Stage I Interval
$988=11,000km, Stage II Interval
$8ST=6,000km, Stage III Interval

After adding the $988 VO code, I wrote the change to the CAS and NFRM, then also flashed the KOMBI without success. On the previous generation E46 cars this could be accomplished very easily as the milage options can be simply selected and coded in the instrument cluster module. With the E9x cars, changing the service interval involves the DME (engine control) module as well. I believe if the DME were to be re-flashed, it would pick up the VO option code I added and change the service interval. However, I wasn't keen on the idea of updating the DME myself, as it's a bit more risky (and involved) than flashing other modules.

I discovered a much easier way to accomplish this mission. Use BMW Tool32, open your particular DME program file (mine is MSV80.prg), select the job "cbs_reset", type this 3-argument string "oel;40;30" into the argument field, then run the job (F5). This instructs the DME to change the oil interval, without having to re-flash the DME. There are a total of 10 arguments that can be selected. However, the other 7 do not need to be changed, so omitting them will cause the defaults to be retained. In about 1 second you will see a box indicating "job status ok". That's it...you've just lowered your oil service interval to 11,000km (7,000 miles). Please note that this procedure resets the oil counter as if a service were being performed...it does not simply adjust the interval from the previous service.

There are at least four (verified) options available for the second argument. It's basically the percentage of the original 27,000km (17,000 mile) interval (see below). The last argument (30) indicates how many services to perform at this interval. You may select 0-30

oel;45;31=12,000km (rounds to 8,000 miles)
oel;40;31=11,000km (rounds to 7,000 miles)
oel;35;31=10,000km (rounds to 6,000 miles)
oel;25;31=7,000km (rounds to 4,000 miles)

This should work on other models as well where Tool32 applies. I hope this helps all of you who, like me, don't believe in changing oil every 17,000 miles and want to have a simple reminder.

Last edited by Jase_DFW; 11-09-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Good info. Thanks for posting!

I also do more frequent oil changes. But I rarely pay attention to the CBS monitors. I also manually check.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 12-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi
Smile modifying oil interval

Jase I have tool 32 and a 2011 535xi. I want to also modify my oil interval. I never used tool 32 and don't want to make a mistake. I have used esys,inpa, and Ista/d. Not to sound like a total noob, is there any way you can make a step by step list for me from opening up tool 32 to completion. I know its a lot to ask but I don't want to accidentally brick my ecu. Thanks a million
Old Today, 01:25 AM

Hello, Sorry for the late reply. It's been a while since I changed mine, and I used a friend's laptop since I'm a Mac guy; so I'll do my best from memory. Don't worry....it's not a dangerous process, as you're not flashing the DME (Digital Motor Electronics, the brain of the engine), only sending an instruction to modify one value. On the older cars (like E46) it was very easy to flash the Kombi (instrulment cluster) module, but on later cars with CBS it requires telling the DME what you want. I've coded many features on my car to several modules, and this is by far the easiest.

1. I usually open INPA first, to ensure I'm communicating with the car. Then you can close it, and open BMW Tool 32

2. I believe on the top menu there is a place to select "Load Program" or "Load Profile". Here I searched through the list of programs (which come from your Daten files) for my DME, which happens to be MSV80 for an N52 328i. If you're not sure which DME your car has, you can search around the menus in INPA (can't remember where exactly), which is where I found mine. Just look for something like "MSV80", or "MSV70" That's your DME.

3. Once you load your profile for your DME, you're ready to start (remember, you are NOT flashing the DME, so there is no risk of "bricking" it)

4. Look in the list of operations in the middle of the screen for "CBS"..."CBS reset"

5. Since you are concerned with the oil change interval, you will type an argument in the "argument" line. "oel;40;29" Then you hit "run job" (I believe you can also hit F5). In about 1 second you will see a message telling you the job is completed. Depending on the milage interval you want, you can vary the 40 to other amounts (i.e. 40 is 40% of the original programmed value, or 7,000 miles in my case. 45 will give you an 8000 mile interval, and so on) Keep in mind that it will also lower the time value by the corresponding amount also. My two-year max interval became something like 10 months or so. The last value in the argument "29" tells the DME how many times you want to use that interval. You can select 0-29, and 29 will pretty much cover the life of the car (over 200,000 miles).

I hope this helps... Again I'm doing this from memory from about a year ago, and I don't have access to the program to walk you through it other than from memory. I think you'll find it simple if you've used the other diagnostic and coding programs.

Cheers.
-European front bumper cover (no reflectors), rear fogs, aspherical mirrors, cloth sun visors, split armrest, BMW Euro air box, M perforated steering wheel, factory alarm retrofit with harness install (non pre-wired car), keyhole delete, custom coding
Old Today, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I am curious as I am past warranty, but if the dealer changes the oil when the car says, would they change every 7k miles without question or would they realize they are changing it too much?
Old Today, 08:10 AM

modifying oil interval

Thanks so much Jase_DFW. Awesome tutorial. Can't wait to do my car. 15000 miles is too long for an oil change and even though I wouldn't,t wait that long two of my kids have BMW,s and they wouldn't change the oil unless the car told them to. Thanks again.
Old Today, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I am curious as I am past warranty, but if the dealer changes the oil when the car says, would they change every 7k miles without question or would they realize they are changing it too much?
If you are paying for the oil change I don't think it would matter. However, I would think every time you go to the dealer everything gets logged into their computers. Every service record, every appointment and so on.
Old Today, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by copoutec View Post
If you are paying for the oil change I don't think it would matter. However, I would think every time you go to the dealer everything gets logged into their computers. Every service record, every appointment and so on.
You yourself mentioned self-changed oil service at more frequent interval than 15k...this would help to remind you when the next one is due!
Old Today, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Their records would indicate the mileage at last oil service, so their records probably would indicate the next mileage threshold at which BMW would cover it (assuming BMW were doing the maintenance under new car warranty or extended maintenance policy).
Old Today, 11:59 AM

Correct. Any dealer is happy to service your vehicle as often as you'd like (as long as you are paying for the service). While my car was under warranty (and free maintenance) I would have the oil changed under the factory-set interval and ask them to not reset the counter. That way, basically, I bought one oil change and BMW bought the next.

If a car is still under the free maintenance program, I can imagine the dealer would most likely change the oil according to the indicator (I've never had a dealer look at past work history before performing work. They simply perform work based upon the indicator in the car). However, from my experience in the auto industry, that dealer would most certainly get push-back from the manufacturer when they submit the warranty claim for service (as previously mentioned....the milage of the last service is monitored by the warranty clerks). Like I said in my original post, this operation is not intended to get something for nothing (additional free service).
-European front bumper cover (no reflectors), rear fogs, aspherical mirrors, cloth sun visors, split armrest, BMW Euro air box, M perforated steering wheel, factory alarm retrofit with harness install (non pre-wired car), keyhole delete, custom coding
Old Today, 04:07 PM

oil reset

So I had a chance to try tool 32 this afternoon. I found my DME mevd172Y and put in the argument oel;45;29. It wouldnt take so I tried oel;45;31 and the job was okay. checked car and oil reset to 15000 miles and service required message said vehicle check past due or something like that. Dont understand, I went into CBS_reset. I have CBS_info, CBS_daten and CBS_reset. Could it be that I should be putting the argument into the daten section. may have to fiddle a bit more but ran out of time. Thanks