Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:21 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 330i
I am about to give up on BMW

I have only had my 330i since June. I have been to the shop 5 times. Nothing major just nit picky little things that go out or donít work correctly. The latest is my rear passenger window come off its track last night. Now I can not raise the window. So now I have to drop the car off again and wait another 3 days before I get it back because I do not have an appointment. This is a major pain in the a$$. Itís not like this car has been treated rough. The lady that leased it when it was new was a 45 year old CPA. She had all the scheduled maintenance work completed on time. After I purchased the car, I asked for a maintenance report on the car. I needed a binder to keep all the repair reports. What ever happened to the German workmanship that you hear about. Maybe BMW should have some Japanese quality control people on payroll?
Sad to say but Iím thinking about selling it and getting a reliable rice burner.
Ads by Google
Old 10-29-2004, 05:33 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Window regulators are a major problem on the e46, I have had three of mine replaced.

If you can get the window up part of the way up grab the top of the window and pull up while using the window switch, then push up and on the inside of the glass while using the switch to fully close the window. This has worked for me a couple of times, and then you will be able to drive the car until your scheduled appointment.

If you ever buy another BMW consider buying from a dealer that offers loaner cars.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:34 AM
Tree Stalker

Mein Auto: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe
I guess it is luck of the draw. I've got 44,000 miles on my 325i now and so far have had 0 defects. That's a better record than my wife's Accord. The Accord has 2 minor defects -- too minor to take the car in for just for them.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Maybe you should have leased/bought a new BMW. Over the course of three years, I think my car spent a total of 4 days in the shop. Two of them for scheduled service, one for the sticky pedal replacement, and one for a faulty sensor. IIRC, it never was kept overnight.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:25 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
The fact the car had a binder of repair reports should have been a sign that there was something wrong with the car. I have owned mine for five years and not had that many problems.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
Window regulators are a major problem on the e46, I have had three of mine replaced.

If you can get the window up part of the way up grab the top of the window and pull up while using the window switch, then push up and on the inside of the glass while using the switch to fully close the window. This has worked for me a couple of times, and then you will be able to drive the car until your scheduled appointment.

If you ever buy another BMW consider buying from a dealer that offers loaner cars.
Too late, my buddy thounght pushing down on it would get it back on track. Now the window is in the door. The motor works but it's off the track. I called BMW and sweat talked my way in for tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate
The fact the car had a binder of repair reports should have been a sign that there was something wrong with the car. I have owned mine for five years and not had that many problems.
The work done on the car was for different little things. Nothing major but my BMW dealer in San Antonio is overworked or understaffed. It hard getting you car worked on with 10 hours. My 93 Ford Ranger has 110k miles on it and the only thing that stopped working was the gas gauge at 70K.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
I never put my windows down any more. Guess I'm lucky in FL we use out air almost all the time. I do use my sunroof alot & never had a problem with that. In my 6 years of ownership I've had the regulators break 4 times, it is a major hassle. So I usually don''t ever put them down anymore. Even for tolls I use Fast Pass.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4life
I never put my windows down any more. Guess I'm lucky in FL we use out air almost all the time. I do use my sunroof alot & never had a problem with that. In my 6 years of ownership I've had the regulators break 4 times, it is a major hassle. So I usually don''t ever put them down anymore. Even for tolls I use Fast Pass.
What's up with the quality of BMW? People pay a King's ransom for these cars, you would expect they use the best parts on the market.
BMW is cool, they drive like a bat out of hell, the power train is bullet proof but the electronics seems to be the issues
Old 10-29-2004, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 03' 330 ci
Not to get off topic, but every single service dept. I've been to seems to be my problem. Three different dealerships in 1 yr because of the lack of service, courtesy & respect. Maybe it's because I'm only 25?? Bad idea since my first BMW purchase was at age 24. Love the cars but I am starting to get turned off from lack of service dept.

The good news...a yr and a half later on my 330ci and no regulators!

Last edited by beam3; 10-29-2004 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam3
Not to get off topic, but every single service dept. I've been to seems to be my problem. Three different dealerships in 1 yr because of the lack of service, courtesy & respect. Maybe it's because I'm only 25?? Bad idea since my first BMW purchase was at age 24. Love the cars but I am starting to get turned off from lack of service dept.

The good news...a yr and a half later on my 330ci and no regulators!
They are over worked at BMW
I'm really thinking of selling it and get the new GT Mustang. 300 ponies
Old 10-29-2004, 08:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to gtvr6
Mein Auto: '01 T-Silver 330Ci 5Spd
That's one of BMW's major flaws....I hate my service department

I find them rude and inconsiderate....Considering people spend 30K and more on a car, the last thing we should put-up with is horrible service.

My last service was so bad that I'm glad my warrenty is up. Then they have the nerve to stick that reminder .... "when you get the phone survey tell them your service was Excellent" Needless to say, I did not rate them excellent.

BMWNA ARE YOU LISTENING......It's bad enough that your cars have annoying issues that need constant repairs....window regulators, bushing, rattles...blah blah....but to have to deal with bad service!!!!!! You must be confident that people are loyal enough to come back....between people complaining about the new designs, the stupid I-drive and what ever else comes out....you should really try to minimize pissing people off where ever possible.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:45 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:

I'm with you on this I try never to roll the windows down. The only time I risk it is for parking garages and if it is a beautiful day and itís too hard to resists the fresh air.

Having to worry about rolling your windows down on a 35k car is BS!
Old 10-29-2004, 08:52 AM

I've even complained to the general manager at my local BMW service dept. for the utter disrespect of his CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER, nonetheless. What did that get me? probably blacklisted.

They don't even call when your car is ready, you have to call them. What's the deal? $40k plus...and they still treat you as if you're in a kia dealership. These people can care less about their customers, atleast from what I see. Maybe if you buy a new car every 3 months you'll get better treatment.

Service Depts rely heavily on the customer surveys, so when BMWNA calls you and you've have horrible or even subpar service make sure you let them know.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:05 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
BMW sales are UP every year. Obviously BMWNA feels that it's not important to address problems with dealers, since they're making more money annually.

Until sales start sliding, or someone that cares more about 'doing things right' instead of 'making money' takes Tom Purves place, we won't see a change.

And anyone who bought a BMW thinking they are reliable cars have been scammed.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:18 AM

Totally agree with you on that one Kaz, it's just a shame that's how it works with a corporation selling $40-$80k products everyday. I'd be damned if that attitude was accepted in my company.

Last edited by beam3; 10-29-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam3
I've even complained to the general manager at my local BMW service dept. for the utter disrespect of his CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER, nonetheless. What did that get me? probably blacklisted.

They don't even call when your car is ready, you have to call them. What's the deal? $40k plus...and they still treat you as if you're in a kia dealership. These people can care less about their customers, atleast from what I see. Maybe if you buy a new car every 3 months you'll get better treatment.

Service Depts rely heavily on the customer surveys, so when BMWNA calls you and you've have horrible or even subpar service make sure you let them know.
I e-mail the contact us on the Corp BMW web-site. Within hours the dealers calls me kissing up. Everone should do the same. Corp will get the picture and do damage control
Old 10-29-2004, 09:24 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo
I e-mail the contact us on the Corp BMW web-site. Within hours the dealers calls me kissing up. Everone should do the same. Corp will get the picture and do damage control
I'm surprised you didn't get the usual line from BMWNA: "BMW dealers are independent businesses, and BMW North America does not have control over their practices"
Old 10-29-2004, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: '93 Ranger, yeah...a ford
Quote:
The work done on the car was for different little things. Nothing major but my BMW dealer in San Antonio is overworked or understaffed. It hard getting you car worked on with 10 hours. My 93 Ford Ranger has 110k miles on it and the only thing that stopped working was the gas gauge at 70K.

I hear you man, I hope you still have that Ranger. I have a 93 Ranger too and it currently has 200K on it now and its running like a true champ, and NEVER had any work done to it. It's more reliable than even japmobiles.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
It's true, I just don't put my windows down anymore unless like you said it's absolutely necessary (sometimes I will open the door to avoid the window) Just too afraid they won't go back up. In our winter months (no snow) sometimes I wish I could open them.

The last time I had my car serviced at a BMW dealer was a couple years ago (I use an independent shop that specializes in BMW & Mercedes) and I ended up having to call the dealership at 5:00 to see if my car was ready, they guy said yeah it's been ready for a couple hours. I was like well why didn't you call me? However they did give me a loner which was nice.

I remember they treated me like a king the first year of ownership then it's not so great. My latest was $800 + for a new Cd changer not including labour to take it out. I about died. $500 + labour to fix the one I had (they originally put it in 99) would take 4-6 weeks to ship it out & fix the old one) I said NO way. So I bought a factory BMW Alpine for less than $500.00 & installed it myself today. I saved time, money. Now it's working perfect again for me. Yippee!! Little things make me happy.

I would have gladly given the money to the dealer to do this if they just didn't suck my wallet dry but they didn't seem to care about helping me with the price at all.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's true, I just don't put my windows down anymore unless like you said it's absolutely necessary (sometimes I will open the door to avoid the window) Just too afraid they won't go back up. In our winter months (no snow) sometimes I wish I could open them.

The last time I had my car serviced at a BMW dealer was a couple years ago (I use an independent shop that specializes in BMW & Mercedes) and I ended up having to call the dealership at 5:00 to see if my car was ready, they guy said yeah it's been ready for a couple hours. I was like well why didn't you call me? However they did give me a loner which was nice.

I remember they treated me like a king the first year of ownership then it's not so great. My latest was $800 + for a new Cd changer not including labour to take it out. I about died. $500 + labour to fix the one I had (they originally put it in 99) would take 4-6 weeks to ship it out & fix the old one) I said NO way. So I bought a factory BMW Alpine for less than $500.00 & installed it myself today. I saved time, money. Now it's working perfect again for me. Yippee!! Little things make me happy.

I would have gladly given the money to the dealer to do this if they just didn't suck my wallet dry but they didn't seem to care about helping me with the price at all.
That is so wrong not wanting open your windows because your afraid it will not go back up.
Does the X-5 have many complaints? If not, send the other plants to the U.S.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:18 PM
USC Yque

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Red face I love my service centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtvr6
I find them rude and inconsiderate....Considering people spend 30K and more on a car, the last thing we should put-up with is horrible service.

My last service was so bad that I'm glad my warrenty is up. Then they have the nerve to stick that reminder .... "when you get the phone survey tell them your service was Excellent" Needless to say, I did not rate them excellent.
Thus far my two month old 2004 330i has no problems , but I did take my auto to get the oil changed after the 'break-in' period. New Century gave me awful service. It took about two-half hours for an oil/filter change. You would think that for a $45,000 auto their service people would be professional and courteous!

I gave New Century a bad score when BMWNA telephoned me. I wanted to laugh when the survey person asked me "is there anything you would like us to tell New Cnetury?".

My next oil change (at 7,500 miles) I'm looking at an independent BMW mechanic.

Part of the service and loyalty to a brand is cultivated and maintained post-sale.

Last edited by Eduardo; 10-29-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:24 PM
USC Yque

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
That is so wrong not wanting open your windows because your afraid it will not go back up.
Does the X-5 have many complaints? If not, send the other plants to the U.S.

Very sad indeed. My last car (read: not automobile) was a 1998 CR-V; I never had problems with my windows. Thus far I don't think the 2004 mid/later build 3 series had the window problems.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
What's up with the quality of BMW? People pay a King's ransom for these cars, you would expect they use the best parts on the market.
BMW is cool, they drive like a bat out of hell, the power train is bullet proof but the electronics seems to be the issues
I feel your pain but I guess I must have been lucky. I have owned a BMW since Oct. 97 and have not any unscheduled service until this past Friday. Electrical systems went on the blink which were traced on Monday to a loose connection in my CD player. Reconnected the CD player and everything went back to normal. So I guess you cannot really call a mechanical failure.

I must also be lucky with my servicing dealership (neither of my cars were bought there). On Monday morning I showed up without an appointment for the electrical issues. The car was checked out that afternoon and I picked up the car at 6 PM. Have you tried getting your car serviced at another dealership. You are not obligated to have warranty work done at the selling dealership. I would not attempt to do that since my ca was bought in Bryan, 100 miles from Houston.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlings
I hear you man, I hope you still have that Ranger. I have a 93 Ranger too and it currently has 200K on it now and its running like a true champ, and NEVER had any work done to it. It's more reliable than even japmobiles.

I forgot to mention to you. I have had 6 Mexican nationals offer me an averasge of $4500 for my Ranger. The deal is, you can not take a truck to Mexico and sell it until it's ten years old or older. So living in San Antonio, these Mexican buyers when they notice a 10 yr old Ranger they offer to buy it. They take it accross and sell it and make a couple of $K. THey really love the Ranger