Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-13-2014, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E92 / 86 K75
white smoke from rear engine..

[begin rant]
2007 328i E92
just did a valve cover gasket replacement (also replaced valvetronic motor gasket). started her up and she purred like a kitten. took a short drive (less than 5 minutes) and when i returned home there was white smoke from rear engine and a very clear burning smell (oil?) and heard crackling (like cooking chicken on a hot pan). afraid of a fire, i poured water and after about 10 minutes the smoke cleared. i did have a little oil in two center spark plugs, but cleaned those out the best i could figuring they were leaks from the old gasket. i also spilled a little coolant when i took off the hose doing the gasket replacement (i read: white smoke = coolant / balck = oil ???). i dont see anything dripping/leaking and the car drives fine and throws no codes. any ideas? i can look like a fool here, but i dont want to go to a shop and be laughed at in person. haha
[/end rant]

Last edited by StereoSteve; 04-13-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoSteve View Post
[begin rant]
2007 328i E92
just did a valve cover gasket replacement (also replaced valvetronic motor gasket). started her up and she purred like a kitten. took a short drive (less than 5 minutes) and when i returned home there was white smoke from rear engine and a very clear burning smell (oil?) and heard crackling (like cooking chicken on a hot pan). afraid of a fire, i poured water and after about 10 minutes the smoke cleared. i did have a little oil in two center spark plugs, but cleaned those out the best i could figuring they were leaks from the old gasket. i also spilled a little coolant when i took off the hose doing the gasket replacement (i read: white smoke = coolant / balck = oil ???). i dont see anything dripping/leaking and the car drives fine and throws no codes. any ideas? i can look like a fool here, but i dont want to go to a shop and be laughed at in person. haha
[/end rant]

Assuming when you say 'rear engine' you mean from the engine compartment -- try startin' her up with the hood raised. Don't go anywhere - wait for it.

OK - what's the source?

I love a shade tree!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:59 PM

yes, the back of the engine compartment. it happens as soon as i start it.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...randsensor.jpg

near the red circle but from underneath. almost like the back of the valve cover. could i have put the gasket on wrong? i triple checked to make sure it was on there. as stated, car drives smooth and has no codes.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I have read that the valve cover is a little difficult to get back on with a new gasket and the gasket can get knocked loose when you try to get it back on, you need one of those small mirrors to check and see if its not on good in the back. otherwise you might have to pull the valve cover back off and double check

that place in the back where the smoke if coming from would be the exhaust system side
Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 AM

the cover is a pain to get in and out. whenever i would flip over the valve cover, the gasket would slip off at some point, however with an extra set of eyes and hands, we were pretty confident we got it on there. ive read oil leaks from the cover onto the exhaust causing the smoke. im really hoping its just coolant that sprayed when i took off the hose burning off.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540
You rolled the gasket out of the channel during installation. I can pretty much guarantee it
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM

took it to a shop. they said it was a warped valve cover and replaced the bolts (which they said to do on most/all bolts every time you take them out). The car ran fine pre and post operation, but the leak did get a little worse after I did my replacements. Still unsure if I made the leak worse (by not fitting the gasket completely on) or if the warped cover is what caused my initial leak?

anyways, back on the road. Thanks to all that replied
Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
...a warped valve cover hmmm??? Maybe just not bolted down properly and they rebolted it on the right way...? Glad it's fixed.