Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
Spacers

I own a 2011 bmw 335is.. My friend has recommended for me to put spacers so the wheels look more staggered. I'm not too big of a fan on the look, but I wouldn't mind it at the same time. My tire guy said bmw doesn't recommend it due to vibration concerns. What is your guys' take on it?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2014, 05:41 PM
VELOZV

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335I STICK SHIFT
It vibrates

I had spacers in a AUDI and it vibrates all the time after 60 miles per hour. Also you need longer bolts and then you will hate it.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335is
I decided against them on my 335is. I think they give a more aggressive stance but there not worth the potential vibration issues.

'11 E92 335is DCT ProTuned by PTF Black Sapphire Metallic (Mine)
'14 F30 335xDrive Mineral Grey (Wifey)
'11 E92 335xDrive Space Grey (Retired)
'08 E90 328xi Alpine White (Retired)
'04 E46 325xi Silver Grey (Retired)
'03 E46 330xi Titanium Silver (Retired)
'98 Audi A4 2.8 Black (Retired)
'89 Saab 900 Turbo Grey (Retired) 350,000 miles

ED - Aug/Sept 2013 - '14 F30 335xDrive w/DHP Mineral Grey
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
335i coupe. 15 mm in front and back here. Looks beefier and I have no vibration issues at all. Got mine through BMS. Have 20k on them now and even put new non run flats on back.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
335i coupe. 15 mm in front and back here. Looks beefier and I have no vibration issues at all. Got mine through BMS. Have 20k on them now and even put new non run flats on back.
Ditto. I went with 12mm if memory serves. Even though I measured, I must have done something wrong because the 15mm rubbed the fender well in the rear when I carried passengers or hit wavy bumps.

No vibration issues with probably 6,000 miles on them. I also purchased from BMS.

I asked the service advisor about these once and he admitted that unless the spacers were insanely large, there wouldn't be any issues. Some say that bearing wear will take place, but he seemed dismissive. This was from a guy whose job is to say "no" a lot.

You MUST get the longer bolts, though.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 PM

Ok well I have a bigger tire on the back. It's 265 instead of stock 255... I've been trying to decide what mm to get all day.... I'm thinking 12mm all around. Any thoughts ? I don't want the back to rub at all

Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Always laughing loudest

Quote:
Originally Posted by yea.nee View Post
Ok well I have a bigger tire on the back. It's 265 instead of stock 255... I've been trying to decide what mm to get all day.... I'm thinking 12mm all around. Any thoughts ? I don't want the back to rub at all

The 12s work well. I took two adults to lunch today and had no issues with rubbing, but if the car was fully loaded.......meh. Maybe.

Just don't get 10mm. The Turner Motorsport website explains why that isn't a true measurement and why it's not recommended. I can't recall the specifics, but it has something to do with the hub-centric nature of BMW wheels and the 10mm not having the right lip to support the wheel. Or something. Don't quote me.

I love the look with my 12mm. It was obvious without being obnoxious. I recommend you spend ample time measuring first, regardless of what you choose. Don't go in blind -- many e90 posts said they ran 15mm and it simply didn't work for me.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Knight View Post
Ditto. I went with 12mm if memory serves. Even though I measured, I must have done something wrong because the 15mm rubbed the fender well in the rear when I carried passengers or hit wavy bumps.

No vibration issues with probably 6,000 miles on them. I also purchased from BMS.

I asked the service advisor about these once and he admitted that unless the spacers were insanely large, there wouldn't be any issues. Some say that bearing wear will take place, but he seemed dismissive. This was from a guy whose job is to say "no" a lot.

You MUST get the longer bolts, though.
Please...his job is to get you to spend more money....like alignment fixes

From what I hear they cause other kinds of issues that revolve around tires, suspension, etc.

Given that, if 15 mm makes ya happy. go for it

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 PM

What's the best way to measure ?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Always laughing loudest

Quote:
Originally Posted by yea.nee View Post
What's the best way to measure ?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-wheel-spacers.aspx

Also try YouTube. Don't forget to put weight in the trunk...or a buddy sitting on the bumper...so the rear squats down a little. Then measure.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Properly mounted spacer will not cause issues.

I run 12mm on the rear with my summer setup and 15mm on my winter. I use the same extended lugs for both sets.

Never had issues with vibrations.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-19-2014, 11:45 PM

Do you have a 335is?

Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
The make and model don't have anything to do with spacers.

They behave the same way on every car.

Just make sure you get hub centric spacers. Meaning, they center themselves. Some spacers are universal and have to use centering rings or you have to guess when they centered. That's when you will get vibrations....again, properly installed spacers will not give issues.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Properly mounted spacer will not cause issues.

I run 12mm on the rear with my summer setup and 15mm on my winter. I use the same extended lugs for both sets.

Never had issues with vibrations.

OP, that is the key to making 'em work.

OTOH, expect no performance benefit. None. Nada! This is strictly cosmetic and remember, you can't see 'em when you drive - this is strictly for those outside the car. You get 'em, you are posed.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
OP, that is the key to making 'em work.

OTOH, expect no performance benefit. None. Nada! This is strictly cosmetic and remember, you can't see 'em when you drive - this is strictly for those outside the car. You get 'em, you are posed.

Cal,

You could say the same thing about the paint or exterior trim of the car. Does your car have paint on the outside? Does that make you a poser?

I don't see the need for spacers, but it's not my car. I am considering changing my wheels to style #189 for no other reason than the exterior appearance of my car.

I care (to some degree) what other people think of the exterior appearance of my car, but mostly I'm changing the wheels to suit my tastes.

I enjoy looking at my Bimmer. BMW paid a team of designer big bucks to make me like it.

Oh, and spacers will increase the track of the car so it will effect the handling ever so slightly, making it more stable since it's center of gravity will be further from the edge of the chassis envelope.

Of course you'd need the most sensitive posterior on the planet to feel the difference.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 AM
This space for rent

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Cal,

You could say the same thing about the paint or exterior trim of the car. Does your car have paint on the outside? Does that make you a poser?

I don't see the need for spacers, but it's not my car. I am considering changing my wheels to style #189 for no other reason than the exterior appearance of my car.

I care (to some degree) what other people think of the exterior appearance of my car, but mostly I'm changing the wheels to suit my tastes.

I enjoy looking at my Bimmer. BMW paid a team of designer big bucks to make me like it.

Oh, and spacers will increase the track of the car so it will effect the handling ever so slightly, making it more stable since it's center of gravity will be further from the edge of the chassis envelope.

Of course you'd need the most sensitive posterior on the planet to feel the difference.

Good point. If it didn't matter how your car looks you might as well be driving any ugly POS as long as it performs.

There is nothing wrong with having a car that looks good (to you and/or others) and one that handles well too. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Shakey
Old 04-23-2014, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post

>AHEM<

Could be.....

Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 AM
This space for rent

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
>AHEM<

Could be.....

Clown cars are usually the exception and not the rule. Thankfully so too!

Shakey
Old 04-25-2014, 07:11 PM

I forgot to ask, have you guys noticed your spacers give you better handling??