Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-17-2014, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Key fob isn't working. Please help find replacement part

I have a 2006 BMW 325i with the standard keyless entry. I been having problems with my key not working so I brought it to the dealer. At first they said the keys needed reprogramming. So they charged me 120 for that and the keys worked when I left the dealer. But then when I got home the keys started to not work again. I brought the car back to the dealer and that's when they told me it was a faulty antenna.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this. If so, how do you fix it? Does anyone know where I can buy a new antenna and have an idea how to install it!?

Thanks in advance,

T
Ads by Google
Old 04-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
It's more likely a faulty battery in fob. When they reprogram, it also charges the battery.

The key should be charging when you put it in the dash but it seems like yours is not holding a charge.

Either get a new fob or cut open your key and replace the battery. Only CA keys can be opened to replace the batteries. Non-CA keys need to be cut open.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 AM

That's what I initially thought as well. But we had ordered a new key as well since we thought that was the problem at first. Both new and old keys worked fine the when the dealer "programmed" themand then when I got home the keys no longer worked (10 min drive from dealership)
Old 04-17-2014, 05:02 AM

When/did you ever change the car battery? Know the age?

If its past 4-5 years, I would repalce.

Low battery charge can also decrease range.

If you drive short distances often, that may also be an issue. Your fob does get charged.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-17-2014, 05:10 AM

I changed the battery last year
Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 AM

Then it very well may be the diversity antenna. Have seen this as a culprit before

Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 AM

Diversity antenna? Where and what is this part? I'd like to try and replace it. ..
Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 AM

It's the part your dealer wanted to replace.

This is the DIY guide for a E91.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645962

I beleive the DA is on the C pillar in E90s. Might be under the roof. Not sure really.