Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325xi
Question E91 - suspension improvements

Have an 06 E91 sport wagon that has all the ride problems that have been mentioned in previous posts (bad on rough roads, almost intolerable in nyc). I am wondering what people have done to resolve these issues. Thus far I have gotten rid of the RF tires which has helped quite a bit, but am going to be spending more time in NYC and am looking for more. Wondering if there is any insight/experience about following:
1. wheels
2. springs (not necessarily lower but possibly stronger or updated oem)
3. shocks (blisten hd seem like a good bet but what are people using)
4. coil over
5. air ride (not sure if it is even possible
6. other?

looking for what is best to concentrate on. Want to make the ride more manageable on what passes for roads in nyc. Thoughts welcome, experience ideal
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2014, 06:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
First of all, cars mileage?

Second, your goals? Performance? Comfort? Little of both?

Budget?

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325xi
thanks for reply

car has ~50k miles with 1.5 yrs left on extended warranty

most important goal would be comfort. if performance comes with it great if i loose a small amount not a huge deal. not looking to end up with a cadillac but if I give up very small amount of performance for city driving comfort I am ok with that.

looking for the most bang for the buck. I like the car but if we are talking tons of money I can dump the car and go another direction.
I guess 2-4k wouldn't be horrible if it would give me a ride i can tolerate in nyc. much more and it is probably not worth it.

thanks
Old 04-19-2014, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
If comfort is your goal, pass on the Bilsteins. They are harsher than most.

Best choice would likely be to go to Koni FSDs, which have good reviews.

Next option would be to go -1 in wheel/tire setup. This would put that much more rubber/air between you and the broken asphalt.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Ich habe keine ahnung...

Mein Auto: '12 Alpinweiss 335i e93
Do you have the 17" or 18" wheels? If they are 17's I think your good there as far as sidewall height. If you go with an all season tire instead of summer tires that will likely help ride quality. Your shocks are maybe still ok but a new set of oem sachs should bring the feel back to close to new. I've read a lot of posts about the quality of roads in NYC and Jersey. I go back to Indy every year or so and their roads have tanked pretty bad since I was a kid. Between the road salt, snow plows and just lack of maint due to many cities lack of funds, it can make for a bumpy, slam bang kinda drive. I have 17's w/ all season runflats on mine now coming from 18's w/ summer bridgestone rft's and though the ride is BMW it's not what my last car was as far as handling. Very close though. I'm having Eibachs and Koni yellows put on on Monday and my silver style 199 tire/wheel pkg from Tischer will be here Fri. I couldn't do 19's and summer rft's in naptown that's for sure. Vegas roads are for the most part not bad. A few roads on the eastside have some frikkin' sinkholes that will make you wish you had a 4x4 at that moment. I'm no expert but thought I'd share. Best of luck in negotiating the minefield that I hear are the Big Apple's roads.

Current BMW: '12 Alpinweiss 335i e93 premium. K&N filter, Dinan exhaust, Silver 199's, Eibach springs, Koni yellows.

Previous BMW's include:
'08 335i e90 Arctic Metallic sport/premium
'03 525i e39 Sapphire Black premium
'94 325i e36 Arctic Grey sport
Old 04-19-2014, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
If comfort is your goal, pass on the Bilsteins. They are harsher than most.

Best choice would likely be to go to Koni FSDs, which have good reviews.

Next option would be to go -1 in wheel/tire setup. This would put that much more rubber/air between you and the broken asphalt.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I was going to reply with the same.

Koni yellows and Bilstein HDs are more harsh compared to the OEM setup.

The FSDs give a comfortable ride but can also improve performance in aggressive driving.

FSDs and lowering spring should run you about $900-$1000 for parts. Another $200 to $300 for install.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 04-19-2014 at 09:03 PM.