Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Question Money Order question-What would you do?

So I have absolutely no experience with Money Orders and am a bit weirded out with this situation. Any help would be appreciated.

A customer calls last week and wants to place an order ($540 order) but will only pay with Money Order (It felt like there was no way around this but I did not push him towards another method...he just said he had to pay with it several times). I say fine and that I will start working on the order once I receive the payment. He overnights me the Money Order but does not fill out the front (there is a line for the Purchaser (customer) to sign/endorse and another line for the Payee and their address (this is where my information goes)). I call my bank and am told he needs to fill this information out and that the customer could simply say he never endorsed the Money Order and I would be SOL.

I call the customer and tell him I am sending the MO back to him and that he needs to address it to me and to endorse it. He says that this is wrong and I should fill the information out myslef, "this is something I do all the time" are his words. I tell him I have never dealt with this before and I am sending the MO back to him just to be sure. I put a piece of paper in with the MO that says to make it payable to me and verify my address. I also put that he needs to endorse it. I FedEx the MO back to him and include a Return Slip so I am paying for him to return the MO to me.

I get the MO back today and the only thing he did was was write my name on it. He did not put my address or endorse the MO.

Thoughts? I have not talked to the customer yet. I am just looking for a little advice but this seems to have shady scam written all over it. The bank verified again that he needs to endorse it and that he could dispute the MO. They did confirm that I would have been able to put my information on the MO but since he did not endorse it, it is useless.

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S

Last edited by AndyM; 10-28-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2004, 11:03 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM
... this seems to have shady scam written all over it.
I think you said it best.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
As nice as a $540 order is, I think send it back and write a note that "we do not want his business, thank you." The ba$tard in Vancouver Sunday was a harbinger of trouble. Cut this one off at the head. If he comes back a third time and "really wants to buy", tell him to FedEx $540 cash money.

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 10-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Having used money orders a lot, The customer you speak of is a moron. He needs to sign the MO (endorse it) and put his address on it. The only thing I can see being left blank would be the Pay to line. With you accepting an unsigned MO you open yourself up to a stop payment situation. Is this an international or domestic shipment? If it is International I would definitely not take the risk. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlance
Having used money orders a lot, The customer you speak of is a moron. He needs to sign the MO (endorse it) and put his address on it. The only thing I can see being left blank would be the Pay to line. With you accepting an unsigned MO you open yourself up to a stop payment situation. Is this an international or domestic shipment? If it is International I would definitely not take the risk. Good luck!
Domestic.

I just got off the phone with him and he was pissed. I told him I am mailing it back to him and that he can pay with a Credit Card. He said his Credit Cards are all maxed out but he can endorse the Money Order or he can send a Cashiers Check. I really don't need this now so I am walking away.

So do I send it back as is or am I supposed to rip it up? It has my name on it.

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Old 10-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM
Domestic.

I just got off the phone with him and he was pissed. I told him I am mailing it back to him and that he can pay with a Credit Card. He said his Credit Cards are all maxed out but he can endorse the Money Order or he can send a Cashiers Check. I really don't need this now so I am walking away.

So do I send it back as is or am I supposed to rip it up? It has my name on it.

Send it back, and forget about the weirdo.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
If he agreed to sign it, and if he now magically and suddenly understands how the exceptionally complex money order system works, give him a third chance. In all liklihood, misterlance is correct about his intelligence level. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. You are the meek. Give him another chance.

I would not fedex it to him though. Or pay for return fedex. You are already -$20 on the transaction.

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 10-28-2004, 11:23 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
money order is not endorsed by the maker. It does not have to have a name on payee line, the maker's loss if it is stolen because it is as good as cash. Put your name on the payee line, endorse, and cash it.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 10-28-2004 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlance
Well, in actuality you don't need to sign the money order or endorse it to cash it. As long as it's blank, you can just make it out to yourself and you endorse the back of it. It's the same thing as someone giving you a blank check and asking you to fill it in.

I know this b/c I have a business that issues money orders. As I understand it, you cannot place stop payments on most money orders, so it's the same as cash.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:25 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samlee4444
Well, in actuality you don't need to sign the money order or endorse it to cash it. As long as it's blank, you can just make it out to yourself and you endorse the back of it. It's the same thing as someone giving you a blank check and asking you to fill it in.

I know this b/c I have a business that issues money orders. As I understand it, you cannot place stop payments on most money orders, so it's the same as cash.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.