Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
Thoughts on this used '10 535i GT

http://www.maseratiraleigh.calls.net...SN2C56AC200505

I'm not terribly local to Raleigh, seems like a good deal even w/o knowing all the possible features that you (ok, I) can't tell from pics.

With 60k on the odometer, are these things holding for reliability? I've had a couple BMW's past warranty so familiar with the "usual" costs associated with such.

What would you want to know about it other than clean carfax (it is)?

I asked for options and only got the obvious answer based on pics and what a non-BMW dealer can "see".
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2014, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT
2 months ago I bought a 2010 550i GT with EVERY option except night vision, rear entertainment, and X-drive. It had 45,000 miles, absolutely immaculate, with new tires and BMW tire and wheel warranty. $34,500 in Charlotte, NC. Even including my flight out there to get it, I spent less than $35k.

So, I don't think the 535 GT you're looking at sounds like that great of a deal. Of course, that's the asking price. You might cut a better deal.

I'd recommend that you consider the 550 over the 535. The difference in gas mileage is marginal, but the performance difference is substantial.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Use the VIN at a BMW VIN Decoder website to see what is in it. Here's what comes out of bmwarchive.org's decoder: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Data for vehicle identification number: WBASN2C56AC200505
Model description: 535i
Market: USA
Type: SN23
E-Code: F07
Chassis: Gran Turismo
Steering: links
Doors: 4
Engine: N55B30M0 - 3,00l (225kW)
Drive: Heckantrieb
Transmission: automatisch
Body Color: Neptunblau Metallic (A85)
Upholstery: Leder Dakota/elfenbeinweiss/elfenbe (LCEX)
Production date: 13.04.2010
Assembled in: Dingolfing

Code Serienausstattung Standard Equipment
S1CDA
Brake Energy Regeneration Brake Energy Regeneration
S302A
Alarmanlage Alarm system
S402A
Panoramadach elektrisch Electric panoramic roof
S508A
Park Distance Control (PDC) Park Distance Control (PDC)
S522A
Xenon-Licht Xenon Light
S524A
Adaptives Kurvenlicht Adaptive Headlights
S5DSA
Notentriegelung Kofferraum Emergency release, luggage compartment
S645A
BMW US Radio BMW US Radio
S823A
Heissland-Ausführung Hot-climate version
S845A
Akustische Gurtwarnung Acoustic belt warning
S850A
Zusätzl. Tankfüllung Export Additional Export tank filling
S853A
Sprachversion englisch Language version English
S876A
Funkfrequenz 315 MHz Radio frequency 315 MHz
S8SMA
Fahrgestellnummer von aussen sichtbar Car ident. number visible from outside

Code Sonderausstattung Optional Equipment
S1CAA
Selektion COP relevanter Fahrzeuge Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S248A
Lenkradheizung Steering wheel heater
S255A
Sport-Lederlenkrad Airbag Sports leather steering wheel
S2STA
BMW LM Rad Vielspeiche 235 BMW LA wheel, multispoke 235
S2VBA
Reifendruckanzeige Tyre pressure control (TPC)
S316A
Automatische Heckklappenbetätigung automatic trunk lid mechanism
S319A
Integrierte Universal-Fernbedienung Integrated universal remote control
S322A
Komfortzugang Comfort access
S323A
Soft-Close-Automatik Türen Soft-Close-Automatic doors
S3AGA
Rückfahrkamera Reversing camera
S423A
Fussmatten Velours Floor mats, velours
S430A
Innen-/Aussensp. mit Abblendautomatik Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S431A
Innenspiegel automatisch abblendend Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S453A
Klimatisierte Sitze vorne Climatised fornt seats
S455A
Aktivsitz für Fahrer/Beifahrer Active seat for driver and passenger
S456A
Komfortsitz mit Memory Comfort seat with memory
S488A
Lordosenstütze Fahrer u. Beifahrer Lumbar support, driver and passenger
S494A
Sitzheizung Fahrer/Beifahrer Seat heating driver/passenger
S496A
Sitzheizung hinten Seat heating, rear
S4CAA
Edelholzausführung Eschenmaser anthrazit Fine woodgrain version, ash grain, anthr
S4NBA
Klimaautomatik mit 4-Zonenregelung Autom. climate control with 4-zone ctrl
S4URA
Ambientes Innenlicht Ambient interior lighting
S502A
Scheinwerferreinigungsanlage Headlight cleaning system
S609A
Navigationssystem Professional Navigation system Professional
S615A
Erweiterte BMW Online Information Expanded BMW Online Information
S620A
Spracheingabe Voice control
S639A
Vorbereitung Handy komplett USA/CDN Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S655A
Satellitentuner Satellite tuner
S677A
HiFi System Professional DSP HiFi System Professional DSP
S697A
Area-Code 1 für DVD Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6AAA
BMW TeleServices BMW TeleServices
S6ABA
Steuerung Teleservices Control for Teleservices
S6FLA
USB-/Audio-Schnittstelle USB/Audio interface
S6UHA
Traffic Information Traffic Information
S760A
Hochglanz Shadow-Line High gloss shadow line
S8KCA
Ölwartungsinterval 24.000km/24Monate
S8S4A
Decodierung variable Lichtverteilung Decoding variable light distribution
S8SCA
Freischaltung Telematik länderspez. Telematics access request,country-spec.
S925A
Versandschutzpaket Transport protection package
Old 04-24-2014, 02:08 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Price seems decent IMHO. This vehicle has a good list of options. I do agree w/ earlier post that the 550 is well worth the price of entry as the difference was not more than a couple grand. Not sure if this is spur of the moment type of purchase for you, but we made a list of must have options and found that the Comfort seats w/ Nappa leather combined with 4-zone climate control (since the wife likes it much warmer than I do) is one of the finest features that we adore about this vehicle for long road trips. I would warn you that the ivory white color has required bi-quarterly cleaning/conditioning to maintain the "dirt-free" look that we like and if you are not into doing such I would avoid this color interior as there is a lot of leather to tend to. Other than that I would purchase the vehicle you are considering if everything checks out to satisfaction. Good luck and hope you join the club!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:15 PM
There is no spoon

Forgot to address reliability: the 6 cylinder engine has been a proven power plant for BMW and I wouldn't worry about the actual engine unless there is a history of service issues.

We purchased a 528i wagon with 65k miles on it in 2005 from a now defunct eBay seller. It was badly treated and had sludge in the engine...we went through 1000-2000 mile oil changes for about 1.5 years and finally dumped the car with 187,000 miles on it (not because the engine was dying either). I strongly feel the 6 cylinder is one of the best parts of the BMW lineup and would have purchased a GT with this engine if the price difference between the two wasnt so close.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:05 PM

I keep reading about the 550 burns oil and that's what everyone is used to and then later have to have the intake walnut blasted. I think you have to really enjoy the 550 to put up with that. I have no stomach for that and sleep well having a 535. YMMV
Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Rapid acceleration can be addictive, but it also costs some major money! I have no issues with getting around with the I6. Now, if I lived in the mountains and frequently had the car full of people and luggage, I may reconsider, but I have taken a long trip with 4 and a full trunk load without ever feeling deprived of cruising or acceleration potential. This was from NH to MI, and most hills were not severe. Fully loaded, mostly interstates, averaged over 28mpg with an x-drive on the whole trip, which included a week of running around town where we'd gone for a wedding. Personally, I can't really ask for more. The I6 runs about 1700RPM at 70MPH, my last car ran about twice that RPM, and was very annoying buzz.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:26 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
I keep reading about the 550 burns oil and that's what everyone is used to and then later have to have the intake walnut blasted. I think you have to really enjoy the 550 to put up with that. I have no stomach for that and sleep well having a 535. YMMV
I wish we as a consumer class can nail down the root cause of this as appearances seem to be random selection. We have driven our GT just about 7000 miles (for a total of 23,xxx and I continue to forget to check the oil level (I dislike the electronic only dipstick, btw) so clearly there are some of us that do not have this problem and the issue arises from some combination/correlation of factors between production, testing and ownership care that results in an engine running through oil. This is NOT an issue exclusive to BMW or the 8 cylinder engine.
I'm sad to inform you, Ernest, that our "miserable" 4 cylinder turbo Audi needed induction (which is a chemical, less effective perhaps, version of walnut blasting)...so it appears (in my limited turbo ownership history) that all turbos appear to have some need for these cleaning processes to remain running at peak performance. Then it becomes what the owner can tolerate and if they even pay attention to deteriorating performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Rapid acceleration can be addictive, but it also costs some major money! I have no issues with getting around with the I6. Now, if I lived in the mountains and frequently had the car full of people and luggage, I may reconsider, but I have taken a long trip with 4 and a full trunk load without ever feeling deprived of cruising or acceleration potential. This was from NH to MI, and most hills were not severe. Fully loaded, mostly interstates, averaged over 28mpg with an x-drive on the whole trip, which included a week of running around town where we'd gone for a wedding. Personally, I can't really ask for more. The I6 runs about 1700RPM at 70MPH, my last car ran about twice that RPM, and was very annoying buzz.
Omg, your opening sentence is 100% true in our case; although...my dad flew for the USAF (from single pilot jets to transport behemoths) and he drives almost mind boggling slow and complains endlessly about other drivers speed addictions (which now includes me after their recent trip). As for the dino fuel consumption: the most we have done is ~330 miles on a single tank and that was on our Colorado road trip. Interestingly I have yet to fill up ours with over 16.6 gallons (and that was with 8 miles remaining according to the computer). I will fully agree the amount of fuel consumed is noticeably different from our previous I6, but so is the torque The 8 speed gearbox is nice, indeed, and appears to perform the same in both engines.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:58 PM

I meant no disrespect to the 535 GT. It's a fine car and not a slouchy performer. When we were shopping, one of the dealers lets us take a 535 home for 2 days, so I had some decent seat time for comparison. The 535 is adequately powered and if you never drove a 550, you'd be satisfied. But, the 550 is quite something. Recently, on a cool night on a curvy state highway, stuck behind a rusty claptrap Dodge pickup, I stomped on the gas for a really short passing zone. BWOOOSH! From a few car lengths back, I went from 45 to 75 by the time I reached the slowpoke's door and made the pass effortlessly. God, it moves for such a big, heavy car.

If I was giving someone advice about a new 2014 GT, the price difference might force me to recommend the 535, but used, the difference is minor.

I realize that I'm not normal, but I couldn't care less about fuel mileage. I did a calculation based on 10k mi/year. I would save about $30 per month in gas had I picked a 535. That works out to about $0.05 per giggle for every time I mash the 550's go pedal. Worth every penny. Personally, I think the best solution for high gas prices is to make enough money that it doesn't matter. Buying excellent used cars instead of shockingly depreciating new cars is the sound financial choice. So splurge a bit and by the giggle pump. That's the 550. Just for comparison, BTW, I also own a highly tuned Honda S2000. That's a small 2 seater with a 2.2L 4 banger that weighs nearly a ton less than the 550 GT. The GT gets better gas mileage than the Honda. No joke. (Yes, I do monitor fuel mileage, but just for early detection of potential issues)

There was a comment about the carbon buildup on the 550's intake valves. This is a common problem for all GDI engines. Fairly soon, you won't be able to buy a gas-burning car that's not GDI as automakers strive to meet tougher emission and efficiency requirements. Yes, BMW dealers charge a fortune to blast the valves clean. I'll do it myself for a few bucks. That will be a common maintenance need for more cars soon and you'll see independent mechanics doing it much cheaper than BMW.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:58 PM
Retired, Independent Cons

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535I GT M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post

ErnestHouse, I just read something very interesting about our 535I GT. Did you know, that at speeds less than 37MPH during a turn the rear wheels will turn in the other direction 2.5 degrees to help in turning. Here is the link as the 2010 BMW 535I was almost car of the year.
http://www.esquire.com/features/cars...rc=mens-footer
As well as a few other nice things to know about. But I do understand this was with the 4 wheel drives.

Last edited by HLH535I; 04-24-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 PM

Well the 550 discussion is a bit off topic to the OP request. My impression was that the BMW 550 had a lot of complaints related to burning oil and Drive Train Malfunction errors. Here's one of many posts I see in threads about a 550:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14

I'm not throwing stones at the 550 just sharing my impression.

On a flat highway going 55, the dash reads 30mpg on my 535. Going 70 it drops to 28-29. In pure city driving averaging 3-5 mile trips and average speed of 32 MPH, I get 16 in Comfort mode and 18-19 using EcoPro driving techniques.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 04-24-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM

That's an option called Integral Active Steering, code S2VHA. You have to make sure you see that option if you want that feature. I have it on my 550GT. It makes u-turns amazingly tight and probably contributes to the surprising agility of the big GT at speed. Although the 535 I test drove didn't have it and it felt great too.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I've gotten over 500-miles on a tank on my 535 of long interstate driving. Admittedly, it was at a fairly steady 70-75mph in moderate weather, but I did that on two successive tanks on that trip. The car was lightly loaded, two people, minimal luggage. It was boring, mostly on cruise, but was going with traffic, no stress. I do not have a huge amount of miles on my car - a bit over 25K over three years (retired). It has never shown anything other than full on the oil, which I hear is a rarity on the V8. I picked it up in Germany, and I adhered to the recommended break-in, so I did not get over 100mph on the Autobahn, but it did see more than a few miles at that speed...I never felt deprived of power. There are only a few engine configurations that are inherently balanced and don't require funky special balance shafts running at sometimes twice the rpm of the main crank like in most V6 engines, and I've owned enough I4 engines to prefer something else (although the newer ones can be quite nice in comparison). Both the I6 and V8 are inherently balanced, which is probably one reason why BMW still makes their I6 verses the V6 engines so common in other brands.

THe maintenance costs on the V8 verses the I6 can be significant, too. That only becomes a factor if you keep your vehicle beyond the warranty (which I usually do).

They are both nice cars, and when you compare the standard equipment and try to match that on the 535, the price differences to buy aren't as great as one might thing, but that assumes you want those extra things. I do miss what they have in Germany, the ability to almost pick any option a la cart. While they have packages that can save money, that's only true if you want the majority of those items...here, we seldom get anywhere near as much choice.

Personally, I do not think you can go wrong with either version, but you need to decide on your priorities and understand the consequences of those decisions.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:38 AM

jadna makes the best point - you can't go wrong with either of the 5GT models.

They are both amazing values. For the price, with the right options, the GT offers a nearly untouchable combination of luxury, practicality, and performance. The luxury gap between the 5 sedan and the 5GT is so big that it feels odd that GT is labeled with a 5.

I also agree that the inline 6 in the 535 is not only one of the best BMW engines ever, it's also one of the best engines ever by any manufacturer. My favorite version was in the M3 (circa 2003).

Old 04-25-2014, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Thoughts on this used '10 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemlite View Post
jadna makes the best point - you can't go wrong with either of the 5GT models.

They are both amazing values. For the price, with the right options, the GT offers a nearly untouchable combination of luxury, practicality, and performance. The luxury gap between the 5 sedan and the 5GT is so big that it feels odd that GT is labeled with a 5.

I also agree that the inline 6 in the 535 is not only one of the best BMW engines ever, it's also one of the best engines ever by any manufacturer. My favorite version was in the M3 (circa 2003).

I have to agree with jad and chemlite. I have a 2011 535 GT with x-drive ( i live where winter is a royal pain) and I have nothing but good to say about the 6 cyl. I get similar mileage as jad has stated.

Have you driven the car you are considering using Sport or Sport+ modes and felt the difference in handling and pickup?You can go to D on the transmission and move the shifter left to DS (DriveSport) mode (not using the Manual mode) and also feel a difference in the low gears (but with a slight fuel penalty). Try that out and see what you think.

I also think that the price being asked is pretty reasonable. Much cheaper than here in Canada even taking exchage rate into consideration.

Good luck in your decision. Hope you can become 'one of us'.

Last edited by Fish23; 05-25-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:11 AM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemlite View Post
I meant no disrespect to the 535 GT. It's a fine car and not a slouchy performer. When we were shopping, one of the dealers lets us take a 535 home for 2 days, so I had some decent seat time for comparison. The 535 is adequately powered and if you never drove a 550, you'd be satisfied. But, the 550 is quite something. Recently, on a cool night on a curvy state highway, stuck behind a rusty claptrap Dodge pickup, I stomped on the gas for a really short passing zone. BWOOOSH! From a few car lengths back, I went from 45 to 75 by the time I reached the slowpoke's door and made the pass effortlessly. God, it moves for such a big, heavy car.

If I was giving someone advice about a new 2014 GT, the price difference might force me to recommend the 535, but used, the difference is minor.

I realize that I'm not normal, but I couldn't care less about fuel mileage. I did a calculation based on 10k mi/year. I would save about $30 per month in gas had I picked a 535. That works out to about $0.05 per giggle for every time I mash the 550's go pedal. Worth every penny. Personally, I think the best solution for high gas prices is to make enough money that it doesn't matter. Buying excellent used cars instead of shockingly depreciating new cars is the sound financial choice. So splurge a bit and by the giggle pump. That's the 550. Just for comparison, BTW, I also own a highly tuned Honda S2000. That's a small 2 seater with a 2.2L 4 banger that weighs nearly a ton less than the 550 GT. The GT gets better gas mileage than the Honda. No joke. (Yes, I do monitor fuel mileage, but just for early detection of potential issues)

There was a comment about the carbon buildup on the 550's intake valves. This is a common problem for all GDI engines. Fairly soon, you won't be able to buy a gas-burning car that's not GDI as automakers strive to meet tougher emission and efficiency requirements. Yes, BMW dealers charge a fortune to blast the valves clean. I'll do it myself for a few bucks. That will be a common maintenance need for more cars soon and you'll see independent mechanics doing it much cheaper than BMW.

+10000

This in addition to oil consumption will be the two biggest consumer gripes discussed going forward (barring hackers hijacking your vehicle remotely). As a matter of fact the former is heavily discussed in any forum where there is a turbo charged engine (Ford to Porsche).
Old 04-26-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLH535I View Post
...Did you know, that at speeds less than 37MPH during a turn the rear wheels will turn in the other direction 2.5 degrees to help in turning….But I do understand this was with the 4 wheel drives.
Hey who ya think you are talking to? Integral Active Steering or IAS was one of the main reasons I went BMW over Audi. It is however, only available as an option on rear wheel drive cars… not on xDrive. When the salesman called me after I test drove the A7, he asked me why I went with the 5 GT. I answered headroom and IAS. End of discussion.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I'm thinking the demand for the GT models isn't as great as for the conventional sedans. You should use that in your favor to negotiate the best price IF you decide you want to buy this particular car. I also recommend a professional BMW-Savvy mechanic inspect the car BEFORE you sign papers and turn over any money!

One last point ... it's not unusual for some buyers to add the extra BMW warranties (maintenance etc) when the car is first sold/bought. If that was done by the original buyer, they follow the car! You might luck out with a car that still has BMW warranty and service for 6 yrs and 100K miles! A BMW dealer can tell by running the VIN if this particular car has such extended BMW coverages.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates

Last edited by luigi524td; 04-26-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
I have to agree with jad and chemlite. I have a 2011 535 GT with x-drive ( i live where winter is a royal pain) and I have nothing but good to say about the 6 cyl. I get similar mileage as jad has stated.
My experience is the same as those of Fish and jad. Have taken her fully-loaded to Northern Michigan in the middle of winter and was just fine with the 6, with the same mileage as jad. No question that the 550 is probably more fun to drive off the line and provides added peace of mind when you need that burst, but the 6 is more than adequate for my needs.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto:
Very nice car you've got there. Price is just right. I would still recommend looking around for one. The mileage is a bit steep at 60k. Look for one in the 35-40k range. They will be less worn out and you won't have so much trouble selling it (of course depending on what milage you do per year). Also, look for one with head up display. Very nice option. Another tip for you is to check if the Aircon is working. If it is blowing out hot air when set to a cold temperature then your condenser has failed. This has happened to me in my 2012 520d GT and for 4 weeks now I have been waiting. AND I AM IN FREAKING GERMANY. THE HEART OF BMW!!!!! A new condenser is quite expensive. I can't tell you now because my car is under warranty and I am getting it done free of charge. If you do buy that car I REALLY recommend you retrofitting BMW apps. You can stream Pandora internet radio and check your Facebook and Twitter statues while on the move. The price is very expensive. 400€ it cost me here in Germsny. I don't know about the U.S. though. If you do have your GT now, then congratulations on your new car!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:51 PM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
I've got 45k on my odo and it finally feels broken in. Throttle response in 'normal' is finally acceptable. Never been an issue in Sport. Good thing because I'm getting the itch to get out of it and into the new 3er diesel wagon. Don't think I'll be able to give up the bells and whistles though. The sticker on the 3er diesel is steep.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto:
First of all sorry if I misunderstood the milage on your car. The 3 series touring is also a great car. But the GT sort of brings more luxury to the mix. Ok the 3 series handles a little better but if you are carrying passengers then you will want to go for the GT.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i GT
Like all others in here...the V6 535i GT engine performance is good. I liked the V8 but not liking the long term maintenance cost!