Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
Please educate me... (wheel content)

Hi, I'm new here... I've done a fair bit of searching around the forum and elsewhere but still feel a little bit unsure of how to proceed. I recently purchased an '08 328i sedan that came to me with 16 inch wheels. They look pretty wimpy to be totally honest, so I'm considering upgrading to 17s or 18s. I want to stick with OEMs. I don't have much interest in customizing the car as much as upgrading it to what would have come off the factory line if it had come with bigger wheels if that distinction makes sense?

When I've researched 18 inch wheels I keep on seeing people talk about lowering the car as well. Will my car look ridiculous if I decide to put 18s but not drop it?

On a different note, IF I were to modify suspension as well, what would I need to do to have something equivalent to the sport package that would have come with my car from the factory? I don't want to get too far away from that since I feel like the sport suspension is a good balance for what I want.

Thanks, I'm sorry to ask questions that I am sure have been asked before... I'm just getting into the wide world of this kind of stuff so my apologies for being redundant and needing extra clarification.
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Ignore the people talking about dropping the car, it'll look great with larger wheels.

You can get the OEM sport springs and Koni FSD shocks, this will match the factory ride height and stiffness of a sport package car, probably a half inch drop from what you have now.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive
Personally, I'm not a fan of dropping cars. As suggested above, a minor change might be ok though. I would definitely go to 18" wheels though. The 16's are just far too small on a car like a BMW and the 17's I have are going to be gone later this year.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
You can put in some Eibach springs for ~$300 plus labor that stiffens the ride nicely and affords a modest drop. Another option is wheel spacers to fill out the wheel well
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
if you have a ton of potholes or the roads are in bad shape like in the NE you might be careful of what wheels and tires you install, the less side wall height you have the more prone to cracking wheels when you hit potholes
Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
18's with a 35 or 40 profile are fine.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Lowering really isn't that bad. I'm on the lowest setting on my coilovers and never scrape. Maybe once in a blue moon.

I also run 19s and haven't had issues around the NYC/North NJ/Philly area.

With that being said, I wish I went with 18s. But I don't mind the 19s.

You'll want to match a spring and shock combo. If you just do lowering springs, especially with the non-sport shocks/struts, you will get a bouncy ride. Lowering springs with sport shocks/struts is a bit better but, I wouldn't recommend doing any type of lowering spring with oem shocks/struts.

Lots of people like the Koni FSDs as they are a dynamic shock that changes the valve rate depending on your driving style. They stiffen in abrupt aggressive driving and soften during normal cruising. I would do these with the OEM sport springs if you're looking to keep a factory look but improve performance a bit.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
18's with a 35 or 40 profile are fine.

Not in Boston. I lost 5 tires in 2 years hitting potholes with 18" 40 series tires. Currently running 17" 45 series tires for the past year with no issues.