Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-26-2014, 06:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Dropped my subframe for some ///M Upgrades and Maintenance for the Dragon

Hey guys so I spent Wednesday night (and Thursday morning until 3am) doing some ///M upgrades and maintenance before I head to the Tail of the Dragon this Sunday. I work for a shop in Philly that specializes in Mini Coopers but we do get quite a few BMWs as well. So I'll be going to the Dragon for work for the Mini on the Dragon event next week.

Anyway, my 330xi has 103k miles on her and she needed some maintenance on the suspension. I did all the front bushings and mounts a month ago. Wednesday I did M3 subframe bushings, E93 M3 rear sway bar with bushings/brackets, Meyle HD rear end links, rear toe arms, rear upper and lower shock mounts, front and rear caliper piston seals and guide pin bushings, as well as Hawk HPS pads, StopTech slotted rotors, and SS brake lines all around. I always use Ate Typ200 brake fluid.

I made a subframe bushing tool using aluminum piping and plates, an acme threaded bar, thrust bearings, and and some various pieces from a bushing tool kit the shop had. It worked wonderfully on the rear subframe bushings, however, the front lip was too small for the tool to work on. I had to air hammer the old bushings out.

After getting my car back from alignment, all I can is wow. I didn't even do the M3 upper arms and the car feels so much more planted. Body roll is very minimal with the E93 M3 rear sway and my H&R coilovers. I took out the alignment pins for the front struts and moved the struts in to gain some negative camber which has also helped reduce understeer. My car feels great now. Before I was getting some rear end wobble when making aggressive turns while hitting some bumps and the M parts cured that almost 100%.

Here are some pictures of the install and the subframe tool. I spent about $100 making the tool (better than $700 for the actual tool) and it was well worth it. The rear tool was 4" diameter piping. The acme bar was 1/2", 18-8 SS. Thrust bearings were $10 from amazon but I went through all 4 I bought as the load was too much for them. If I had to do it again, I would have gone with a finer thread on the acme bar and a stronger material. That's all McMaster Carr had in stock. And I couldn't wait 2-3 weeks for a custom bar to be made. Nor was the expense justifiable.

You can see the old front subframe I had to hammer out. They basically got destroyed haha

Also, notice how thin my rear sway was!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	435838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1116.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	435839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1119.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	435840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1123.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	435841  

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 04-26-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe

A bit more than the typical DIY, eh?

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 04-27-2014, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Hey guys so I spent Wednesday night (and Thursday morning until 3am) doing some ///M upgrades and maintenance before I head to the Tail of the Dragon this Sunday. I work for a shop in Philly that specializes in Mini Coopers but we do get quite a few BMWs as well. So I'll be going to the Dragon for work for the Mini on the Dragon event next week.

Anyway, my 330xi has 103k miles on her and she needed some maintenance on the suspension. I did all the front bushings and mounts a month ago. Wednesday I did M3 subframe bushings, E93 M3 rear sway bar with bushings/brackets, Meyle HD rear end links, rear toe arms, rear upper and lower shock mounts, front and rear caliper piston seals and guide pin bushings, as well as Hawk HPS pads, StopTech slotted rotors, and SS brake lines all around. I always use Ate Typ200 brake fluid.

I made a subframe bushing tool using aluminum piping and plates, an acme threaded bar, thrust bearings, and and some various pieces from a bushing tool kit the shop had. It worked wonderfully on the rear subframe bushings, however, the front lip was too small for the tool to work on. I had to air hammer the old bushings out.

After getting my car back from alignment, all I can is wow. I didn't even do the M3 upper arms and the car feels so much more planted. Body roll is very minimal with the E93 M3 rear sway and my H&R coilovers. I took out the alignment pins for the front struts and moved the struts in to gain some negative camber which has also helped reduce understeer. My car feels great now. Before I was getting some rear end wobble when making aggressive turns while hitting some bumps and the M parts cured that almost 100%.

Here are some pictures of the install and the subframe tool. I spent about $100 making the tool (better than $700 for the actual tool) and it was well worth it. The rear tool was 4" diameter piping. The acme bar was 1/2", 18-8 SS. Thrust bearings were $10 from amazon but I went through all 4 I bought as the load was too much for them. If I had to do it again, I would have gone with a finer thread on the acme bar and a stronger material. That's all McMaster Carr had in stock. And I couldn't wait 2-3 weeks for a custom bar to be made. Nor was the expense justifiable.

You can see the old front subframe I had to hammer out. They basically got destroyed haha

Also, notice how thin my rear sway was!

Well, check HP Autowerks' bushing tool, rentable $50. Same mostly but gets old bushings out unharmed.

When you say dropped the subframe, you mean right outta the car! Lowered mine ~4" for bushings & bar. Less convenient but, have no way to get the assy gently down/up. Mine was a shadetree job.

About that bar - without LSD, expect some hop. Recommend Wavetrac - huge.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 04-27-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
You work at a garage and don't have access to an on-the-car ball joint press or a front wheel bearing press? Either one of those can easily be modified to press -or pull- bushings. Anyway, you got inventive and got it done on your own.
I hear you about hop when making aggressive turns on rough surfaces. If my DSC was on it would always kick out the throttle just as I was getting back on it, a very depressing situation. But my days messing with urethane bushings, and stiffening suspensions are long behind me. I'm quite happy with E92 stock, you and Cal not so much.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Sorry for the late response. There was no cell coverage down at the Dragon and limited internet access.

We have various presses but none of them fit the front bushings 100%. The rear was no problem. I made the tool more so for myself so I could have it for friend's cars etc. But I found out it will only work on the rear. We ended up modify one of the presses my co-worker had to push in the new bushings on the front.

I didn't experience any hop at the Dragon and I was pushing my car hard. Still experiencing some understeer in some situations.

An LSD is definitely on my list of things to do but I'm not sure I want to put one in this car

Btw the HPA tool requires a $600 or $700 deposit which I didn't feel like doing. So that was another reason why I just made my own tool

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-05-2014, 03:20 PM
This space for rent

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Not to deviate from the subject at hand, but I rode the Dragon on my bike last summer. It was fun, but can be mentally challenging. There are other roads in the area that are just as good. You should have plenty of fun.

Shakey
Old 05-05-2014, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Sorry for the late response. There was no cell coverage down at the Dragon and limited internet access.

We have various presses but none of them fit the front bushings 100%. The rear was no problem. I made the tool more so for myself so I could have it for friend's cars etc. But I found out it will only work on the rear. We ended up modify one of the presses my co-worker had to push in the new bushings on the front.

I didn't experience any hop at the Dragon and I was pushing my car hard. Still experiencing some understeer in some situations.

An LSD is definitely on my list of things to do but I'm not sure I want to put one in this car

Btw the HPA tool requires a $600 or $700 deposit which I didn't feel like doing. So that was another reason why I just made my own tool

Oof! Don't remember paying a deposit, maybe 'cause I bought many parts there. Just picked it up on my way through town; returned same way. Nice.