Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-26-2014, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: E92 2010 335ic
Question High RPM Engine Sputter - PLEASE HELP

Hi everyone,

My name is Joe and I have very recently (about four days now) purchased a 2010 e92 335i coupe. I couldn't be more stoked about the purchase. The car is great, it delivers power wonderfully, and I was slowly falling in love with the car - until about a day ago.

It all started one morning after it had gotten a little chilly the night before. Nothing insane, probably around 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I started her up with no problems at all. I knew the engine would be a little cold so i took it pretty easy for about 8-10 minutes. I then pulled it pretty hard (okay i floored it ) all the way through first and second, just like i've been doing for about 3 days now. This is when the problem started.

Now I'm going to tell you the symptoms, but i should warn you that they are very bizarre. So, try to stay with me.

There are TWO different problems/feelings when i push the car past half pedal. It's unpredictable which feeling i will get and sometimes i can pull the damn thing and it still runs completely smooth.

Feeling 1:

When i push the pedal past half way in ANY gear, the car seems to misfire and skip. It almost feels like my tires are slipping, but give me more credit than that. When this happens, the check engine light will turn on for about 20 or 30 seconds and then go off. This is one of the reasons i can't use a code reader to figure the problem out. The check engine light needs to be on for it to read anything.

Feeling 2:

When i push the pedal past half way in ANY gear, the car starts to pretty violently shake. Almost like it's going to stall out. The check engine light comes on for about 20-30 seconds, and then it shuts off. If i take the car out of gear, and put it back in the same, or even a different gear, the shaking continues. In order for me to get the shaking to stop i have to stop the car, cut the engine, and then turn it back on.

The weirdest part about this problem i'm having is that it's completely inconsistent. I can't tell exactly what rpms this is happening at. And on occasion i can pull the car all the way through third gear without this happening at all. It's actually just a huge tease because i think my baby is back to normal, until i try to slam it again.

As long as i keep the car under about 4000 rpms it runs fine. I can drive it normally with no weird sounds or anything that seems out of place. But, if i weren't going to be tearing up the pavement every now and then i would have bought an Audi or Mercedes .

Anyway, i have about a week to diagnose and fix this problem because i need to take this bad boy to prom a week from today! So, any suggestions/insights would be greatly appreciated guys!

Thanks!

Joe
Ads by Google
Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: honda
You need that code that's triggering the cel. The fault is still there even if light is off. From past experience, sounds like the high pressure fuel pump is weak, or a fuel injector or coil is cutting out under high load

The code will show if it's just a misfire( coil or injector), or if there are fuel pressure faults(high pressure fuel pump)
Old 04-27-2014, 02:32 PM
I Know Nothing

Mein Auto: '10 E92 335i
Get yourself a BT Scanner so you can read this code and all other future codes. That way you can self diagnose and do a lot of maintenance and repair yourself. Not only is it cheaper in the long run but you also get a lot of satisfaction with DIY. That is, assuming you're fairly able and willing.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Fest. And post pics when you can.

2010 E92 335i
2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2007 E93 328i (Sold)
2002 Ford Focus SVT (Sold)
2001 Ford SVT Lightning (Sold)
1983 BMX (Totaled... Twice)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: E92 2010 335ic
Able? Not so sure. I guess we'll find out. Willing? Absolutely. Thanks for the help guys. I'll get pics up ASAP.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
that scanner is awesome tool. but I would suggest that you also purchase a Bentley Manual for the car too, with the scanner and book and some $$$ you should be able to repair it. Also I would be easy on the engine till the oil comes up to temperature too since you are running turbos so you dont blow any seals