Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Happy to be nappy!

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Convertible
Smile DIY: Replacing E93 Windshield Reveal Molding

When I choose my 2007 335i convertible, I was shocked by the horrible condition of the molding. The dealer had no plans to fix it, and that was annoying. I read the forums and saw repair prices ranging between $350 and $1,000 and talk about removing the windshield.

All craziness.

I did it myself in about an hour. Most of the time was consumed with cleaning off the old adhesive. Easy job. No real threat of breaking the windshield. Just do it and be happy.

I purchased my molding from getBMWparts.com. The part number for the E93 is 51-31-7-150-646. It cost $27.02. Shipping and tax brought the total cost to $42.92. They double-checked my order to ensure that the part fit my car. I initially ordered 51-31-7-119-711, but that is the number for the E92. Excellent service!

The only other items you need is WD-40 to loosen the old adhesive, rags to wipe away the adhesive as well as clean the paint, and glass cleaner to windshield before attaching the new molding. I used cheap disposable shop rags for the adhesive and microfiber for final cleaning.

Also helpful to have is something stiff with a blunt point to pick out stubborn rubber and adhesive. Try a clean wooden stick. I used a wood shim. Because it's flat, the shim came in handy for pressing down the new molding to help the adhesive set.

There is absolutely no need for a screwdriver or a blade!

If your molding crumbles apart like mine did, then it's good to have some compressed air to blow away the pieces. I used a can of 3M Dust Remover, and my lungs.

Here's a view of the top of the windshield. Embarrassing.

In this shot you can see how bad some of the rubber seals on the roof are starting to look. I have my Gummi Pflege Stift on hand to take care of that later.

To start the project, I let the car sit in the sun for an hour or so to heat up the adhesive. I then used my fingers to pull the old molding out starting on the right side of the car. Start on whichever side you wish. The stiff part of my molding immediately split from the rubber that is glued to the paint and came out easily.

Take your time removing the molding from the corner. But once you get started you can see how it's clamped on and how easy it is to remove.

Here is how it looks when all the rubber and adhesive is cleaned off. Remember that this molding has no impact on the security of the glass. It is decorative and simply fills the gap between the glass and the metal.

I agree with others that it's best to start attaching the new molding in one of the corners. I started on the right corner and then went down the windshield. When you are doing it you'll see how the molding overlaps with another molding at the bottom of the windshield. There is a good amount of overlap there so don't worry.

The trick is to get both of the top corners aligned properly so the curved rubber portion lies flat. There is no adhesive on the corners to keep them flat. It simply relies on proper alignment, so take your time adjusting it.

Press down firmly all along the molding so that it clamps on the glass snugly. You'll be able to judge by sight and feel when it's set just right. No need for banging with a rubber mallet.

Here is the profile of the molding.

When you are satisfied with how it looks, start slowly removing the tape backing and press down on the molding to set it.

Removing backing from the top.

Stand back and enjoy your work! My reward came when a neighbor assumed my car was brand new.

A tip of the hat to others who've posted DIYs, pictures, and encouragement.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834038
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...im-replacement
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573281

Last edited by Olatunji; 12-18-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Very nice - my 2008 still is in good shape, but it spends a lot of time garaged and not driven in the winter - that Florida sun is rough on it!

Great write up!

Rob
Old 04-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Very nice DIY! What a great way to revive a neglected car. So glad to know it finally has a caring owner.

With the new rubber installed, you might try using 303 protectant on it. It is very good for surfaces that get a lot of UV abuse.

Gummi Pflege is great for the squishy soft rubber seals that will absorb products easily, but I've found for the harder less pliable surfaces the 303 Protectant is a great choice.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olatunji View Post
I did it myself in about an hour.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Happy to be nappy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Great write up!
Thanks! I've been learning a lot here the past couple of months so I wanted to give back a little.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Happy to be nappy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Very nice DIY! What a great way to revive a neglected car. So glad to know it finally has a caring owner.
Thanks.

I Gummied the top's seals that afternoon. Next I'll be lubricating the top according to your instructions. Then I'll be fixing the scuffs on the seat bolsters. I want to get everything back into excellent condition before moving on to mods.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: E93 BMW 328i
Hello guys,
i just ordered the windshield molding for my car and came back to this thread. I have just the problem right now that i cant see any of the pictures.
Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks a lot

Markus

Last edited by Mabidopa; 12-17-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:08 PM
BIG D BIMMERS

Mein Auto: '13 535i MSPORT,'10 E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabidopa View Post
Hello guys,
i just ordered the windshield molding for my car and came back to this thread. I have just the problem right now that i cant see any of the pictures.
Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks a lot

Markus
Yeh, pics are gone, but click this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834038
Old 12-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Happy to be nappy!

The pics are back! Sorry everyone!

Last edited by Olatunji; 12-18-2014 at 07:36 PM.