Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:51 AM
pastman pastman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: S. Killingly, CT
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 115
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Lifetime Fuids change

Hello Members:

I own a trouble-free 2007 328xi coupe (6-speed). I'm planning to change all of my fluids - front and rear diff, transfer case, and manual gear box. With 115k on my odometer, I look at it as insurance and also an indication of good maintainance for anyone who might purchase it in the future. Can anybody give me figures on what a dealership would charge for this service. Can anybody share their experiences on this subject? Thanks. Alan
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-27-2014, 08:57 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastman View Post
I own a trouble-free 2007 328xi coupe (6-speed). I'm planning to change all of my fluids - front and rear diff, transfer case, and manual gear box. With 115k on my odometer, I look at it as insurance and also an indication of good maintainance for anyone who might purchase it in the future. Can anybody give me figures on what a dealership would charge for this service. Can anybody share their experiences on this subject?

A dealer is always "reassuringly expensive"

BMW now spec's 100k mi for transmission service and maybe less for diff's + transfer case - not having xi, not up on that.

Why not DIY? Detailed procedures readily available and "rewardingly inexpensive"

.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 04-27-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Westech's Avatar
Westech Westech is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 179
Mein Auto: '00 Z-3 '06 325ixT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastman View Post
Hello Members:

I own a trouble-free 2007 328xi coupe (6-speed). I'm planning to change all of my fluids - front and rear diff, transfer case, and manual gear box. With 115k on my odometer, I look at it as insurance and also an indication of good maintainance for anyone who might purchase it in the future. Can anybody give me figures on what a dealership would charge for this service. Can anybody share their experiences on this subject? Thanks. Alan
Call the dealer, tell 'em what you want done & ask for a quote.

Ditto an independent shop

Price the materials needed at BavAuto.com and ecstuning.com Both sell maintenance "kits". Buy what you need and DIY then spend a pleasant evening counting the stack of money you saved.

If I can do it, you can do it. It all depend on what you have more of; time or money. Oil,filter, front & rear diff, manual box, coolant and brake flush is an easy couple of hours work. Ramps, floor jack, jacks stands. buy 'em (worth the investment), rent or borrow.

When you do it then YOU know what was done. You get familiar with your car, and you keep more of your fine long green dollars in your pocket.

11th Commandment: Don't let 'em scare ya!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 AM
ctuna ctuna is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,408
Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Use redlineoils on everything but transfer case.

Use redlineoil fluids on everything but transfer case.
They have and app on there site to find the right ones.
Transfer Case fluid has to be BMW transfer case fluid.
redline has an app .
The lifetime service Intervals for the XI are no different
100k.

Last edited by ctuna; 04-27-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2014, 01:13 PM
mujjuman mujjuman is offline
tappa tappa toit
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,692
Mein Auto: hoopty
I would take it to a reputable shop that deals with bmws and other European cars if you don't want to DIY.


Sent from BimmerApp
__________________
mujjuman
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Bemo's Avatar
Bemo Bemo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,086
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
I would take it to a reputable shop that deals with bmws and other European cars if you don't want to DIY.


Sent from BimmerApp

Spent $600 on fluids at the local dealer. The car is going in a local Indy shop, this coming Thursday. Tranny, diffs, transfer case, power steering and brake fluid are all getting flushed. I'm at 35k miles and fanatical about old school maintenance! In a week or 2 I'm off to a body shop for road rush cure.
Btw, for DIY, the transfer case requires adaptations reset.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
lifetime fluids


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms