Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-04-2002, 07:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
Unhappy Lets NAV it! - Finally some more information.

Ok, so I've been interesting in purchasing the Traffic Pro since reading Ron's thread below. I emailed the HK guys on Saturday and have had three or four conversations since then via email. I have some good and bad news to report for those who are interested. First, let's start with his contact information.

The contact at HK is:
Christopher M. Dragon
CDragon@harman.com
Director of Brand Marketing
Harman Consumer Group
Mobile Audio Division
JBL
Infinity
Harman Kardon

Here are the questions I asked.

-----------------------------
(Q) Do you know what the approximately price for the BMW version (Z3 or M Coupe)?
(A) The price is going to be $1499.00 including discs and installation
(Q) Can it control the BMW 6-disc CD Changer?
(A) I do not believe the unit we will be selling has the BMW protocol in it. However, we will have a changer
(Q) Will it contain CDs for the entire US and/or Canada,
or only for select portions of the US and/or Canada?
(A) The unit will come with the most current Navtech CD's that cover the US. I do not believe Canada is part of this bundle for anyone.
(Q) If the product will be re-branded as a BMW
accessory, will the dealerships be willing to do the
install, or do I have to find someone to install it?
(A) The product we will be selling will be branded HK. We will have 600 install centers for this product.
(Q) Do you know approximately when we can start to place
the order? I was hoping to place my order this week,
but sounds like I have to wait a few more weeks.
(A) Yes, you will have to wait a few more weeks. I am going to respond with my real e-mail address so we can stay in touch.

I sent him another message and here are those questions and answers:

(Q) Will the Traffic Pro to be sold for BMW vehicles, will be re-branded as a "BMW Traffic Pro" and will show upon power up the BMW logo. (I sent him a link to Ron's pictures from his 01 M Coupe from the original NAV It post!)
(A) I am aware of the BMW specific unit that is sold in Europe. A few did make it state side as well. However, we are going to be selling a unit that is going to address the aftermarket category as a whole. To this end the unit will power up saying "Traffic Pro" .
(Q) The same above pictures show the LED colors of the Traffic Pro match the amber light that is normally found on the BMW Z3/M Coupes. Will that be the case with the HK Traffic Pro?
(A) It will be available with four different illuminations, one being the amber that matches BMW.
(Q) Will we receive a special harness that allows us to connect the Traffic Pro to the BMW CD Changer.
(A) We will not directly offer a harness for the unit to interface with BMW. However, we will have a tech support line that will be able to provide the vehicle wiring codes including speed pulse and reverse. The unit will come with a standard harness that is colored in the US standard wiring codes. The aux harness will be available as an option. The unit will also have a 5 RCA jack instead of the bare wire currently on the unit for use as a sub or center channel output. The price I stated with installation will include a basic install. If dash kits or special harnesses are needed these will be extra. This is a great price for an exceptional product.
(Q) There are many others who are interested in knowing more information about the Traffic Pro. May I pass on the information you have given me, or is this confidential until product has been released to the general public?
(A) Certainly pass the word. Also, mention the URL http://www.hktrafficpro.com. I have provided a place for people to send me an e-mail. We will be sending a blast when the unit is shipping.

So in the end, it appears to be a great product, but it won't be branded BMW, it won't control our CD Changers out of the box, and $1500 could be a bit much for some.

Opportunities :
(1) Can we get a hold of the Euro version that he refers to that made it to the US?
(2) Can we get a hold of the harness that allows us to control our CD Changers?
(3) Would the price be cheaper if we can find the Euro version?

Any thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2002, 09:32 PM
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor

Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster, 1998 M3
Will the CD system play....

1. MP3 CD's?
2. CD-R's?
3. CD-RW's?

Will any of the compatible CD changers play MP3's?
Old 06-05-2002, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 01 M Rdstr 00 M Coupe
:thumb:I am a freind of Ron`s and have witnessed his NAV First hand,I want the BMW LOGO on start up we will have to figure out how to make it happen.It is a fun and stress free tool.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:04 PM

Questions and answers as follows:

(Q) Does the Traffic Pro play MP3 CDs?
(A) You can hook satellite radio or MP3 player to aux input.
(Q) Does the Traffic Pro work with CDRs?
(A) I am not sure (we will need to investigate)
(Q) Does the Traffic Pro work with CD-RWs?
(A) I am not sure (we will need to investigate)
Old 06-05-2002, 07:09 PM

Lightbulb

Ron or anyone else who has received the European version in the US:

Do you know the BMW part number for the Traffic Pro and all it's accessories (i.e.. harness, etc...) that we might need?

With the limitations of the US HK branded version (including the missing BMW logo upon power up) I think I would like to purchase the Euro version...

If we have enough interest, maybe we can organize a group buy to reduce the costs?

What's everyone's thoughts?
Old 06-05-2002, 08:01 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
(Q) Does the Traffic Pro work with CDRs?
>>>Yes.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:06 PM
19,585 Miles

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zanary
[B]Ron or anyone else who has received the European version in the US:

Do you know the BMW part number for the Traffic Pro and all it's accessories (i.e.. harness, etc...) that we might need?
>>>Yes. Looked into doing just that for some folks.
It was posted on the Becker message board that the Euro version won't work in NA.
Connect to: http://members4.boardhost.com/beckerboard/msg/2150.html
Old 06-06-2002, 07:36 AM

Ron: Thanks for the information. So, we're SOL if we wanted to purchase the exact one you have (i.e.. BMW Branded with BMW harness)?

If we were to purchase the HK branded one, do you know where we could just purchase the harness from, to make the installation easier if we already have the BMW CD Changer?

Would this be something you or http://www.leatherz.com would be willing to sell?
Old 06-06-2002, 06:59 PM
19,585 Miles

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zanary
If we were to purchase the HK branded one, do you know where we could just purchase the harness from, to make the installation easier if we already have the BMW CD Changer?

I do not think that the available BMW harnesses from BMW have provisions to run the changer.
Hoping to see the HK aftermarket one to see the differences between it and what I have. Maybe somone will send me one.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:24 PM

Hey Ron,

Sorry I must have been confused when reading one of your post in your original "Let NAV It" message thread.

In one of your posts dated 06-01-2002 at 12:34 AM, you wrote:

"Spent a couple of weeks with the Harman Kardon Traffic Pro DIN sized navigation system. This unit also controls the BMW CD changer. ..."

I understood that as long as the BMW HK harness as shown in this picture http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/trafficpro-24.jpg was used to connect the Traffic Pro to the cables pre-installed by BMW, then one could control the BMW CD Changer with the HK Traffic Pro.

Did I understand it correctly, or did I miss something?

What I want to do would be to purchase the Traffic Pro with the understanding that I can control my BMW CD Changer that is already installed in my Z3 Coupe.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:53 PM
19,585 Miles

The harness I received came from HK, not BMW.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, Ron. I think I finally get it.

So, even though the HK guys say that the US HK branded Traffic Pro will not control the BMW CD Changer, I'd still like to try it and (cross my fingers) prove them wrong.

I have sent an email to HK Europe asking if such a harness is available, and how can I go ahead and purchase it.

Let's see what their answer is.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: Traffic Pro
The adapter cable for Traffic Pro installation in a BMW Z3 is available from the Becker parts dept. Call Burl at 888 423 3537 x1209 for price and part number.

The HK Traffic Pro will only work with a HK/Becker changer BE2660.
Old 06-07-2002, 11:20 PM
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor

Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster, 1998 M3
Will the HK/ Becker changer or Traffic Pro CD unit play MP3 CD's?
Old 06-08-2002, 12:03 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally posted by Horst
The adapter cable for Traffic Pro installation in a BMW Z3 is available from the Becker parts dept. Call Burl at 888 423 3537 x1209 for price and part number.

The HK Traffic Pro will only work with a HK/Becker changer BE2660.
Is the cable you mention the same as the one that comes with the BMW installation kit? BMW part number 65 90 0 139 835.

Won't the NA HK Traffic Pro aftermarket unit come with this?

So if I were to buy the NA HK Traffic Pro aftermarket unit, and then purchase a Beckers BE2660 changer, it would come with the cable to let me hook it up to the NA HK Traffic Pro aftermarket unit?

The Traffic Pro unit available in Europe as a BMW accessory won't run the BMW changer either. Would the Becker BE2660 changer work with it?
Old 06-08-2002, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: Traffic Pro
1) HK Traffic Pro does not play MP3 CDs, neither does the six disc changer BE2660. Traffic Pro however does have an aux. input feature that allows you to run a MP3 player through the head unit instead of the CD changer.

2) The power and speaker cable with the HK Traffic Pro is a universal cable to connect the unit in any application. The adapter cable for a Z3 and many other BMWs is a Becker cable, part # 1188.496 that makes the installation of TP in a BMW almost a plug and play installation. The adapter cable connects all power and speaker lines, you just have to add the reverse line.

3) The HK/Becker six disc changer BE 2660 comes with its own connection cable and universal mounting hardware.

4) The BMW Traffic Pro in Europe has I-Bus and works with some BMW changers. HK/Becker TPs in Europe or in the US "DO NOT" work with any BMW changer. Only the BE 2660 will work with Harman/Becker Traffic Pro.

5) I am not sure what your cable with the BMW part # referes to.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rachel
Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
-

Last edited by Rachel; 09-09-2002 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:18 PM
19,585 Miles

In response to Rachel's post

HK Traffic Pro will have 3 color schemes, one matched the BMW interior lights
>>>I heard 4. Does it match the BMW lighting is the ? Haven't seen an aftermarket unit yet.

it should be noted that even using the Traffic Pro as both a GPS and a CD Player is do-able. TP only asked for it's NAV CD every so often.
>>>Only if you deviate from the stored route, which I do at times.

Which means- for those who already have the BMW 6 CD Changer you have to eat that or sell it (or hack it- see above.)
It also means if you want it in your trunk, you will have to run another wire from the head unit to the trunk because the BMW pre-wiring wont work with the BE2660.
>>>Don't know about that yet. Is the BE2660 a six CD unit?

So... is there ANYONE who has shown how to run a wire from the head unit to the trunk? It seems to me that if someone could show us how to do that (I tried but I couldn't figure it out) then it would be a whole lot easier to swallow.
>>>Doable, but too involved for some.
It also sounds easier than hacking cables to work with the BMW CD Changer.
>>>Not sure of that yet.

Another point- the Harmon fellow said the price includes installation. That's interesting. Many of us prefer to DIY. The only part of the installation I couldn't do myself was the reverse lights wire- and that's just because I am chicken.
>>>I agree that selling it with installation (ONLY) is a mistake. All of the six or so people that I know that want it will definitely install it themselves. Will be relatively easy once I put a how to up.
Most without knowing how it works, will think that the $1499.00 price point is too high. Packaged with a CD changer, and no installation, at that price would be a home run. You really have to use one to realize how great it is.

One last thing... as much as we all love BMW, I think the bottom line is that it was BMW's decision that the HK Traffic Pro is incompatible with it's changer, and it is BMW's decision that the display will not say "BMW".
>>>Bad decision on BMWNA's part. The unit HK prepared is compatible with the BMW changer. If they (BMWNA), knew how Traffic Pro worked, which I assume that they did not, they would have approved it. Would like to know what they based their decision on.

Go easy on the Harmon/Becker folks, they want this to work for us.
>>>I agree. HK folks are not the problem.

Ron Stygar or someone will figure out the hacks.
>>>Looking at it just to see. If the HK aftermarket unit does not have (I bus) capability, no amount of wire hacking will work.
Again, I'd like to ask someone like Ron to show us how to run a wire from the cockpit to the trunk.
>>>Not a big deal for me. Will post some stuff if one wanted to do this on a coupe. Not familar with roadsters, but many have installed the new sub woofer mod. Based on this, they would also install the HK stuff, CD changer included.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:30 PM

-

Last edited by Rachel; 09-09-2002 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:07 PM

-

Last edited by Rachel; 09-09-2002 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:57 PM
Respect my authoritah!

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe IR/IR
Advantages to TrafficPro

I thought of two advantages to the TrafficPro that would encourage me to upgrade:

(1) OEM look and functionality without OEM skipping. Tired of having the Railroad Track Remix to all my CD's. My Miata OEM stereo never did that (and I mean NEVER, even with the KYB's on 8)

(2) OEM look and functionality without OEM bizarre behavior. Anyone notice that with the car running and the head unit off, the currently selected CD continues to run? It won't resume where it left off except on ignition off. Otherwise, driving for 10 minutes with the CD off will cause it to resume on a different song as if it were playing the whole time. Stupid behavior.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:54 PM
Automotive Hypochondriac

Mein Auto: 2001 LSB M Coupe
I'd be very interested in a write-up of how to run wire from the headunit area to where the CD-Changer sits in the coupe.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:17 PM
19,585 Miles

Quicky

From the radio area, head to the drivers side under dash area.
You have to remove the under dash panels to do this.
Remove the drivers side kick panel. (where the speaker is)
Run the wiring along the drivers side door sill area. (tuck it in)
Up along the B pillar area.
Over towards the pasenger side to the amp.
You have to remove some stuff to do this.
Connect to: www.unofficialbmw.com/images/
and check out the pics that begin with trunktrim.

Just finishing up, doing this, adding the rear fog lights and changing out the rear shock mounts using my modified Z3 reinforcement plates. The modified plates let you change out the rear shock mounts without going through tearing the whole rear end of the coupe apart the next time.
I've done this several times. Tearing it apart gets easier every time that you do it, but still a major pain in the ass.
Lot of simple steps. You end up breaking less fastening stuff each time that you do it.
Based on the low cost, I replace the fastening stuff.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 98 M Roadster
Sorry in advance if this is a repost somewhere else on the forums:

The HK Traffic Pro is now for sale on Crutchfield. You're redirected there from the hktrafficpro.com website.

I'm a little leery of trying this install on my own, and was planning on letting a shop install it. Anyone have any thoughts on the do it yourself route now that getting one is actually an option?
Old 10-12-2002, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: MY03 330Ci OB/NB SP PP
Re: Lets NAV it! - Finally some more information.

Quote:
Originally posted by zanary
Ok, so I've been interesting in purchasing the Traffic Pro since reading Ron's thread below. I emailed the HK guys on Saturday and have had three or four conversations since then via email. I have some good and bad news to report for those who are interested. First, let's start with his contact information.

Any thoughts?
This thread must have started somewhere else. Can you please clarify what you are talking about from the very beginning?

Are you talking about an aftermarket Nav unit?
For all BMWs, or just the Z3?
A special add-on "trafficPro" something for the current factory Nav units?

Any clarification will help.

Thanks.