Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 - 330i - ZHP
On Board Computer & Avg Miles per Gallon Indicator Issue

Hi all,

Last night I noticed that the avg miles/gallon indicator on my ZHP read, "0.0 MPG." I toggled through the other indicators (eg temperature, avg miles per hour, time) and they worked fine. Also, my fuel tank is full but the fuel consumption indicator was still at zero.

Please provide any insight on this issue. I would like to know what caused it. Is this a minor issue? Or major? Solution?

Thanks!

Flex
Ads by Google
Old 10-31-2004, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to RChoudry
Mein Auto: 86 325es; 87 325iC; 06 M3
your fuel senders are toast. Easy fix though at the dealer.

-2006 Z4 M Roadster (Sapphire Black/imola red)...12/9/2006
-2006 M3 ZCP Interlagos blue/black via PCD 11/29/2005
-2004 330i ZHP Imola red/black alcantara CPO 1/2008
-1999 Audi A4 1.8tQ (Jaspis Green/Black)
-1986 325es (Zinnoberot red/Pearl)
Old 10-31-2004, 09:30 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex
Hi all,

Last night I noticed that the avg miles/gallon indicator on my ZHP read, "0.0 MPG." I toggled through the other indicators (eg temperature, avg miles per hour, time) and they worked fine. Also, my fuel tank is full but the fuel consumption indicator was still at zero.

Please provide any insight on this issue. I would like to know what caused it. Is this a minor issue? Or major? Solution?

Thanks!

Flex
From just what you typed it's not possible to give any meaningfull advice without a lot of assumptions and guesses.
If I reset the avg miles/gallon indicator while engine is off or idling, I do get a 0.0 MPG reading, and that is to be expected. I supposed that scenario is not what you meant, but need to elimininate the obvious first... (you could have reset the indicator inadvertently). Have you driven the car or you're looking at the indicator in your garage?
Why do you think the tank being full has any correlation with what avg miles/gallon indicator reads?

Last edited by JetBlack330i; 10-31-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 - 330i - ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack330i
From just what you typed it's not possible to give any meaningfull advice without a lot of assumptions and guesses.
If I reset the avg miles/gallon indicator while engine is off or idling, I do get a 0.0 MPG reading, and that is to be expected. I supposed that scenario is not what you meant, but need to elimininate the obvious first... (you could have reset the indicator inadvertently). Have you driven the car or you're looking at the indicator in your garage?
Why do you think the tank being full has any correlation with what avg miles/gallon indicator reads?

You are correct. I had accidentally reset the indicator. I drove the car for a bit and noticed that the indicator reported normal values. I freaked out since I had never reset it before.

Furthermore, my SA confirmed the resetting parameters.

Again, thanks for the input!

Flex