Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Pothole Hatred

So for the past few months, I've been successfully dodging potholes all around the city. After all the taxes I just paid in April, I wonder what they do with all the money. They certainly don't put it towards the roads.

Well, last night my luck ran out. I was going down a small city street, riding along the old embedded trolley tracks as they offer the smoothest ride - each side of the tracks is literally crumbling with potholes.

I came to a stop and some guy on the street was mouthing off. I wasn't sure he was talking to me or not. As I drove away, I glanced in my rear view to figure out what this nut job was up to. In that split second, I drifted six inches to the right, off the tracks and BAM.

It scared the crap out of my girl and I because neither of it saw it coming. Even with my Koni FSD and non-RFTs, it was a full on pothole explosion. I can't imagine how bad it would've been if I still had my stock setup. I can't blame the car though. Even a Hummer would've exploded going over the pothole.

I was only going 20 mph or so and luckily everything feels fine. I'm going to take it out on the highway this morning to check for vibration and alignment issues. Fingers crossed. I'm so pissed, I just had mu summer tires mounted and balanced last week and the car has been so smooth and perfect. I really hope I didn't mess anything up.

That is, except my wheel. See attached. The pothole was so deep and jagged, it scraped up my wheel. I just put a call in to the alloy wheel repair guy so he can come work his magic. Looking at this scrape, it's a miracle I didn't get a flat tire.

Uhghghg. 80% of my driving is in and around this war-torn city. 15% is spent in traffic on I-76. I only actually "drive" this car about 5% of the time. As much as I love this car, I'm wondering if I might be better off replacing it with an SUV. After all, it's not like they are ever going to fix the roads around here. I feel like I'm wearing track shoes, trying to go rock climbing. I have the wrong gear for the job, so to speak. I'm just so pissed because I really, really like this car and I don't want to drive a boring SUV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WheelScrape.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	437801  
Ads by Google
Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
So for the past few months, I've been successfully dodging potholes all around the city. After all the taxes I just paid in April, I wonder what they do with all the money. They certainly don't put it towards the roads.

Well, last night my luck ran out. I was going down a small city street, riding along the old embedded trolley tracks as they offer the smoothest ride - each side of the tracks is literally crumbling with potholes.

I came to a stop and some guy on the street was mouthing off. I wasn't sure he was talking to me or not. As I drove away, I glanced in my rear view to figure out what this nut job was up to. In that split second, I drifted six inches to the right, off the tracks and BAM.

It scared the crap out of my girl and I because neither of it saw it coming. Even with my Koni FSD and non-RFTs, it was a full on pothole explosion. I can't imagine how bad it would've been if I still had my stock setup. I can't blame the car though. Even a Hummer would've exploded going over the pothole.

I was only going 20 mph or so and luckily everything feels fine. I'm going to take it out on the highway this morning to check for vibration and alignment issues. Fingers crossed. I'm so pissed, I just had mu summer tires mounted and balanced last week and the car has been so smooth and perfect. I really hope I didn't mess anything up.

That is, except my wheel. See attached. The pothole was so deep and jagged, it scraped up my wheel. I just put a call in to the alloy wheel repair guy so he can come work his magic. Looking at this scrape, it's a miracle I didn't get a flat tire.

Uhghghg. 80% of my driving is in and around this war-torn city. 15% is spent in traffic on I-76. I only actually "drive" this car about 5% of the time. As much as I love this car, I'm wondering if I might be better off replacing it with an SUV. After all, it's not like they are ever going to fix the roads around here. I feel like I'm wearing track shoes, trying to go rock climbing. I have the wrong gear for the job, so to speak. I'm just so pissed because I really, really like this car and I don't want to drive a boring SUV.

CALLING MS. KAT

CALLING MS. KAT

POSTER NEED WHEEL REPAIR

OTOH you may wish to look at Range Rover - this kinda thing no prob at all; rides/handles great. Maintenance touch high.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Spagolli! A blast from the past! The "pothole explosion" kid from captainaudio's big thread a few years back. My opinion is that you go for the third and unstated option; keep the BMW and move to the 'burbs.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:02 AM

I would, except the immediate burbs aren't much better around here. You have to get pretty far out until the road conditions start to improve. Plus the commute would blow. I just got back from a quick highway trip. Luckily, all appears well. Car tracks straight, steering wheel is straight and no vibration even at high speeds. Whew!! I'm guessing if I had bent the rim, I'd have a pretty nasty vibration. And if I had damaged my suspension, the car would pull or make noises when turning. None of that is happening, so I guess I'm safe to assume all is well and I don't need to have it checked out?

Typically, I'd be the first to blame a pothole explosion on the car. But with my Konis and non-RFTs, my car actually does pretty well. This was just an exceptionally deep and jagged pothole. The roads around here have always been pretty bad. But after this epic winter, it's worse than ever. Ughgh.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
I travel a lot from the Philly area to NH and the worst roads on average are in MA, though Winter was exceptionally tough on the whole region. This is about the worst I have ever seen it.
Your car is probably OK given the driving test it passed. Personally I think the chances of doing any real damage without blowing out a tire are slim. Your tire looks OK. Your tire center might give you a free visual inspection of the steering and suspension if you're concerned. As bad as that wheel looks, it's all cosmetic. You hit the strong part of the wheel.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Pothole Hatred

I'm on my way to Philly right now.
I am not worried about pot holes because I am riding on steel wheels.

All I have to worry about is a derailment,

Should arrive at the 30th Street Amtrak station at 2PM
CA

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-06-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
I travel a lot from the Philly area to NH and the worst roads on average are in MA, though Winter was exceptionally tough on the whole region. This is about the worst I have ever seen it.
Your car is probably OK given the driving test it passed. Personally I think the chances of doing any real damage without blowing out a tire are slim. Your tire looks OK. Your tire center might give you a free visual inspection of the steering and suspension if you're concerned. As bad as that wheel looks, it's all cosmetic. You hit the strong part of the wheel.
Agree. I got off the hook easy with only cosmetic damage. Could've been a lot worse, that's for sure.

My parents live in MD and the roads are quite good. The climate isn't much different down there, so they must just do a much better job maintaining their roads.

Last edited by Spagolli94; 05-06-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I'm on my way to Philly right now.
I am not worried about pot holes because I am riding on steel wheels.

All I have to worry about is a derailment,

Should arrive at the 30th Street Amtrak station at 2PM
CA

Enjoy your time in Philthadelphia. At least the weather is finally getting nice.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
I own an X5...not as much fun as the car but definitely not a boring SUV.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
I'm just so pissed because I really, really like this car and I don't want to drive a boring SUV.
Unfortunately, the only alternative to that is to get 10 years old nicely rusted pickup truck. That seems to be a perfect vehicle for a personal transportation in US - considering everything concerning our road infrastructure, not just potholes.

Quote:
My parents live in MD and the roads are quite good. The climate isn't much different down there, so they must just do a much better job maintaining their roads.
No kidding. You think Swiss, Austrians, Germans don't have meters of snowfall every year? Their roads around Alps are better than anything I saw in Southern California or Florida. Climate has nothing to do with it.

Buy a beat-up, nicely rusted, 10 years old pickup truck and get on with the program. You can't own a nice vehicle in this country.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 05-06-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Unfortunately, the only alternative to that is to get 10 years old nicely rusted pickup truck. That seems to be a perfect vehicle for a personal transportation in US - considering everything concerning our road infrastructure, not just potholes.

No kidding. You think Swiss, Austrians, Germans don't have meters of snowfall every year? Their roads around Alps are better than anything I saw in Southern California or Florida. Climate has nothing to do with it.

Buy a beat-up, nicely rusted, 10 years old pickup truck and get on with the program. You can't own a nice vehicle in this country.
What about this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodge-Charger-General-Lee-and-Ford-Truck-TV-Props-1969-07CPC215111102K.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	437857  
Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagolli94 View Post
what about this one?
p-e-r-f-e-c-t!

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 05-06-2014, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Enjoy your time in Philthadelphia. At least the weather is finally getting nice.

Was just over the Delaware line a month ago - always a pleasure to visit out East.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
I drove back up to the Philly burbs last Friday after spending 3 1/2 months in Florida. I can't believe how bad our roads are now. What the hell happened? I'm thinking it's that damned brine crap they have been spraying on the roads during the winter.

So, today, I'm driving on Route 202 N towards King of Prussia and see a crew repairing pot holes. All they were doing was shoveling stones mixed with hot tar and not even using a roller to tamp it down and smooth out the repair. I think they are expecting the cars to smooth them our by driving over them while throwing stones all over the car behind them.

This is the worst that I've ever seen the roads here in 30+ years and they've never been that good to begin with.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i X-Drive
Rough Winter

I hit a few of those craters this winter hard enough to shake me up but apparently not hard enough to kill a tire or rim. The tight suspensions on our cars do amplify the bumps and the RFTs do pass on even more of the impact. I'd hate to feel what a rim-bending impact felt like! Now, I may be putting in an insurance claim for my windshield - I have 3 noticeable nicks on the passenger side from random debris that hit me on I376.

Last edited by maz2331; 05-06-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
All they were doing was shoveling stones mixed with hot tar and not even using a roller to tamp it down and smooth out the repair. I think they are expecting the cars to smooth them our by driving over them while throwing stones all over the car behind them.
I KNOW!!! This pisses me off beyond belief. All they do is turn what had been a pothole into a pot "hill." A bump is a bump. Down or up, doesn't really matter. The end result is a bunch of lumpy half-azz patch jobs that begin to resemble a third-world county. And because they don't fix them the right way, they are just going to fall apart next winter, if not sooner.

I was on 95 today, heading down towards the airport. I was having to dodge craters on 95. Now, I can understand it might take a while to fix some obscure road with minimal traffic. But 95? When I'm in MD, 95, 695, 70, etc., are all pristine. Shiny, new asphalt for miles and miles. As soon as you cross into PA, the roads go to crap.

Having to constantly scan for and swerve around potholes isn't only frustrating and exhausting, it's dangerous.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Liverpudlian at heart

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
It all comes down to the motivation behind the contract. Follow the money.

In Europe a road is built using a 'concession', which means that the company which builds the road has to maintain the road, perhaps for as long as 30 years. So, there is a strong motivation to put in a road with deep foundations, generous courses, correct drainage, and top-notch materials. That way the construction company makes money over the long term by having to revisit the road for repairs and lifetime maintenance less often. Maintenance is performed diligently and promptly because the winner is the construction company.

Conversely in the US the road is built by the lowest bidder and the road is subsequently maintained by a separate contract. The motivation is to save as much money as possible, skimp on construction, and use the cheapest lowest quality materials. Bare minimum foundations etc etc. The construction company is motivated to get in and out fast.

Net result is quality construction in Europe which is designed to endure whatever conditions are thrown at it. In the US, well, you get Philly. The kick in the pants is that over those 30 years the Philly roads cost more than the equivalent European road.

There are plenty of analysis, all of which fall on deaf municipal ears. Eg. page 6 of http://www.worldbank.org/transport/r...s/hwy_conc.pdf

Frank.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Frank, that is very interesting stuff, thanks.

Spagolli, you probably already know where to go for wheel repair, but just in case you didn't, you can start finding candidates through this site. My guess for one wheel is $125, plus or minus $25. Multiple wheels usually result in a discount per wheel, as well as getting it done at a shop instead of using a mobile service (which is the most popular I believe).

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/
Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi
I joined that "rite of passage" about a week ago. Wife was driving us back, had an eye thing done, and we hit this massive hole, nothing immediate, but next AM, tire low, took to my tire guy, about 1/2 mile away, and let me know my 1+ year old Potenza RF was toast. Wheel's ok, so guess I can't complain.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Frank, that is very interesting stuff, thanks.

Spagolli, you probably already know where to go for wheel repair, but just in case you didn't, you can start finding candidates through this site. My guess for one wheel is $125, plus or minus $25. Multiple wheels usually result in a discount per wheel, as well as getting it done at a shop instead of using a mobile service (which is the most popular I believe).

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/
Yup, they are coming out Friday. I've used them before and they did a great job. Estimate is in-line with your numbers above.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Ray View Post
I joined that "rite of passage" about a week ago. Wife was driving us back, had an eye thing done, and we hit this massive hole, nothing immediate, but next AM, tire low, took to my tire guy, about 1/2 mile away, and let me know my 1+ year old Potenza RF was toast. Wheel's ok, so guess I can't complain.

Yeah, as long as your wheel, suspension and alignment are okay, sounds like you got off relatively easy. My neighbor has a 330i (e46 I think?) and he blew is right front AND rear tire on a pothole a couple weeks ago.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
I'm just so pissed because I really, really like this car and I don't want to drive a boring SUV.
I still have my winter tires on the car. Today. In May. Because of the potholes.

Have you considered using boring winter tires on boring cheap rims until they get around to fixing the potholes? (If they do.)
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when you pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 05-07-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
I still have my winter tires on the car. Today. In May. Because of the potholes.

Have you considered using boring winter tires on boring cheap rims until they get around to fixing the potholes? (If they do.)
I don't have winter rims. I mount stock-sized winter tires on my stock rims. So there's no advantage to leaving them on longer, at least as far as protection is concerned. Good idea though!
Old 05-07-2014, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: Z3,X5d,750Li,E93,1200RT&C
I am used to raise hell with the city about damage because of their inaction. If there were no warnings you should be entitled to compensation for more than small damage. Metal decks that have not been anchored well enough are frequent causes for community tills to be raided by unfortunate drivers.

A few months ago I crossed railway tracks and it slammed like the wheels would have been left behind. Could not detect any damage though so I agree with the RFT amplification of an unevenness in the road surface.

Good luck with repair.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 08 BMW 335i cabrio
I have the 19 inch style 230 wheels on my car and I'm always dodging pot holes... But one night I decided to take a late night trip to Waffle House for a steak (I know... steak from Waffle House isn't that good but I was desperate and it was 2am) lol but as I was driving through the parking lot I ran hit a hug pot hole and it seemed like the front end of my car drop into the pot hole and came back up then it caught the rear wheel too.. I thought to myself "I probably cracked a wheel" and low and behold 2 weeks later when I was getting my wheels painted gloss black, the wheel repair guy called me and said he found a crack in the rear wheel! And I knew it had to be from that pot hole b/c it was recent (and massive) plus my tire pressure warning light never came on since it was a slow leak... But I def should've took pics that night and complained to management at Waffle House b/c I predicted my wheel would be cracked...

Currently own: 08 BMW 335i vert and 03 Infiniti G35 sedan
Previously owned: 00 Mercedes-Benz S-430, 97 Volvo 960, 01 BMW 330i, 97 Lexus ES300, 09 Honda Civic LX, 04 BMW 325CIc, 00 BMW 323i, 97 Honda Accord EX Coupe, 99 Ford Expedition EB, 05 Mazda 6i, 94 BMW 325i, 98 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS6 "Collectors Edition", & 87 Honda Prelude Si (First car)

Last edited by henry_desmond; 05-08-2014 at 06:13 PM.