Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-07-2014, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335 xi
P2418 code

Hi, new to this forum. I have a 07 335xi getting a P2418 code. It shows the Purge Valve Open circuit error. Any DIY or pictures for the location of the purge valve? Any thoughts on other issues. The gas cap looks good but I haven't replaced it yet. Help anyone?
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Welcome to Bimmerfest!
This is a simple circuit and should be easy to diagnose. Get ahold of a wiring diagram and do a Google search for Evaporative Emissions Control on an 07 335i. The valve is part of the charcoal canister assembly used to store hydrocarbon (gasoline) vapors. It opens at specified times and apparently isn't.
Do not replace your gas cap.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the help. Ill drag out my multimeter.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Non compos Mentos

Good, you've got everything you'll need to test the circuit. In the morning I'll give you wire colors and part location. The purge valve will be normally closed, and will open under 12V power. I believe it is a pull down circuit which means that the PCM provides ground to an always hot circuit, but I'll check that. The point is that you must not only check for 12V+, you must check for good ground on the other side. If you have both then the valve should open. If you hear a good click inside the valve chances are it is opening but the only way to know for sure is to remove it and blow through it. When you do you must ensure that unpowered it is closed and that powered it is open. You can run any convenient 12V source and ground to it when you test it. It doesn't matter which wire is which if there are only two wires.
Hold off on your testing until I post again. I've given you a generic purge valve test and need to confirm it is good for our 335i's.
BTW, did you clear the code and did it return?

Last edited by DSXMachina; 05-07-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:53 AM

Yes I cleared the code. It came back after about 2 hours of driving. I saw another post where they had an issue with the purge wire rubbing in the drivers wheel well area which caused an open in the circuit. I believe there is an access plate in the drivers rear wheel well to see this. They mentioned that that had removed the wheel well. I can confirm that if there is no power to the valve. Thank you for you assistance with this. It is truly appreciated.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 AM
Non compos Mentos

I have confirmed that the Generic Code P2418 does refer to a problem in the purge valve switching circuit. It might be helpful to others to talk for a minute about 'generic codes'. The EPA is the federal agency responsible for promulgating emissions standards for everything, cars included. They of course know little about cars so they ask the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) for help. The SAE membership consists of engineers and others involved with the technical aspects of anything having to do with cars (and trucks). It also has guys like me who join just to know what's going on.

The SAE establishes a standardized sequence of 'faults' having to do with controlling emissions. Each is then assigned a code number of four digits preceded by the letter 'P'. In your case you got a P2418. Great. That means the same thing whether you own a KIA, a Rolls Royce, a Chevy or a BMW. Very helpful to anyone who wants to figure out why a check engine light (to which by the way the SAE has assigned the name "malfunction indicator light" -MIL) is on. The problem is that the computer knows a heck of a lot more nowadays that it isn't telling you, isn't required to tell you, and that the mfr. in many cases does not even want you to know. These are called manufacturer specific codes and they are the mother lode of information when it comes to diagnostics.

If you want to know more about your BMW, and be able to fix things faster and more accurately then you have to be able to read those BMW specific codes. The devices which will do this are available from about $50 up to thousands. There has been much discussion on this board about them and a quick Search will tell you which ones to consider.

OK, so we have a generic code. It points to an issue with the circuit* which controls the DMTL Solenoid Switching Valve which is attached to and part of the canister assembly. It is located inside the driver's side rear wheel well, behind the tire, and is accessed through a flat panel held on by six screws. The entire module can be removed in under an hour (half an hour if you're good). But don't remove the valve. My data shows that most problems are caused by chafing just as your friend reported. Looks like the harness gets rubbed inside the main wheel well so some further disassembly is going to be required. Get the car up on jackstands, remove the left rear wheel and then the wheel well enough to get a good look at the harness. Pull it away wherever it rubs to get a good look with some bright light. The wires are very small gauge and any damage at all must be considered fatal. Cut and splice as necessary but use shrink type butt connectors which contain a sealing wax. If you're good at soldering then by all means solder and use shrink insulation on the wires afterwards.

*unfortunately the "circuit" starts at the controlling electronics inside the PCM, passes through every connector and related ground, and every wire leading up to and back from the valve. It doesn't mean that the valve itself is bad, though it may be. This is where a mfr. specific code can be very helpful. The mfr. may have diagnostic ability which will generate a code which will further narrow down the source of a fault.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 05-08-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I thought the purge valve was under the intake manifold. Next to the oil separator.

May be different for N54 but on my N52, pretty sure the valve is next to the oil separator.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Non compos Mentos

Hi driller. A purge valve is any valve which opens and dumps stored contents into another area. I believe you are referring to the purge valve which allows hydrocarbons stored in the charcoal canister to be transferred to the intake and then burned in the combustion chamber. The OP's P2418 refers to the DMTL Solenoid valve which is part of the canister assembly. I am unsure of the specific function of that particular valve, but believe it is probably used when system integrity is tested. This is the kind of confusion which occurs when generic codes are used. You are familiar with BMW specific codes and probably know the BMW code which identifies the DMTL circuit being defective. I don't off the top of my head.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Ahh ok. Not familiar with the electrical fault codes for the EVAP system but the leakage codes are 2A15, 2A16, and 2A17 I believe.

I also have a new fault in my EVAP system which is 2A17. It might be the pump itself :/

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 AM

I have a Creader VI+. Does it have the capability to read the BMW specific codes? I cant find any specifics on it.

thanks
Old 05-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Non compos Mentos

The Creader is made by Launch, and although Launch gives you more bang for the buck than any other diagnostic tool maker this is the entry level scanner and I don't think it gives OEM specific codes. It will display pending codes and you should scan for any before doing other diagnostics. Pending codes will not turn on the MIL because they might require more than one failure cycle, or because they alone are not considered failure indicators. We call them soft codes and along with the hard code(s) which lit up the MIL are very helpful in diagnosticsl
Old 05-09-2014, 08:17 AM

thanks a million
Old 05-10-2014, 01:09 PM

I found the issue. It was the wires that had rubbed against a wheel well shield and cut the wires. I will have pics shortly with a DIY. It is a very easy fix and you can check it without taking anything off the car, by just a visual.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloozman View Post
I found the issue. It was the wires that had rubbed against a wheel well shield and cut the wires. I will have pics shortly with a DIY. It is a very easy fix and you can check it without taking anything off the car, by just a visual.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E90 335xi
Any update for the pics and DIY? I have the same code.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:37 PM

Sorry haven't finished it yet, I will have it done by tomorrow. Sorry for the delay
Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM

2007 BMW 335xi P2418 code fix

Here is the DIY for the P2418 Error code
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2007 BMW 335XI P2418 Code DIY fix.pdf (351.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-19-2014, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E90 335xi
great DIY, I'll check mine out in this location tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!